Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Want solar power but…

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Solar power is a big undertaking for someone that will rarely boondock for more than a couple of days.  But I am not giving up on trying to get all the battery power I can get so when we do boondock, I don’t run out.

I want to boondock, but Dolly wants her TV.  So, I am doing some research on the subject out on the internet.  I already have two large batteries to run the RV accessories and propane to run the refrigerator, but don’t think the current batteries could run a TV and the Dish receiver for very long. I don’t want to run those batteries down and have no power to close the slides.

My current plan is to buy two deep cycle batteries from Advance Auto Parts:

Autocraft Marine / RV 12-Volt Deep Cycle Battery, Group Size 31, 675 CCAdeep cycle battery

Cost each: $105 before a 20% employee discount

Specifications:

Battery Type:
Lead Acid
BCI Group Size:
31
Cold Cranking Amps:
675 amps
Cranking Amps:
840 amps
Height:
9 7/16 in
Length:
13 in
Maintenance Free:
Yes
Reserve Capacity:
210 minutes
Voltage:
12 v
Weight:
59 lbs
Width:
6 13/16 in

 

and buy a Whistler Pro-1600W 1,600 Watt Power Inverter:inverter

Cost $111 from Amazon

I will use this setup to just run the TV and see what happens.  If it works fairly well, I can add two more batteries and should get enough.

My plan is to make two battery boxes and hook the batteries in parallel which will give me twice the amps of just one battery.  I have space in the bedroom under the shelve that the dish receiver and TV will sit on.  Won’t need an extension cord, just hook the inverter to the battery bank and plug the TV and Dish receiver into the inverter and I hope to have hours of TV watching.

I will keep you posted on what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment