Monday, February 6, 2017

Jeepin’ Coyote Canyon

Monday, February 6, 2017

This morning, I had to do two things.  One was to wash the sand out of my hair so it doesn’t stick straight up and second, give the inside of the MH a good cleaning.  Got both done.  As you can see, I did the cleaning first.  My hair is standing on end.  Yuma just watched.

1-IMG_2781

I laid around my clean home for awhile, thinking it was going to rain.  Sure looked like it and the wind was blowing pretty good too.

1-IMG_2780

1-IMG_2783

About 11:30, Yuma and I decided to drive just a short way out Coyote Canyon.  It goes about 17 miles into the mountains and is a rough road in spots.  I didn’t want to go too far by myself.  The entrance to the canyon is just on the other side of Coyote Mountain.  So, it didn’t take long before we were into the canyon.

I know I told everyone that I would show all the metal sculptures made by Ricardo Breceda, I saw about a mile outside the small town of Aguanga on Saturday, but that will have to wait another day.  I will get to them, I promise.

Off we went.  First we went through some sand dunes.

1-IMG_2786

Just as we started, we passed this Raven cawing at us.  He didn’t fly away as we passed.  Just kept staring at us and cawing.  Hope it isn’t a bad omen!

1-IMG_2788

I think the overcast day gives the photos something a little dark and sinister; but the scenery was just beautiful.

1-IMG_2790

Saw one blooming Ocotillo plant.

1-IMG_2796

There are three creek crossings in the first four miles.  First time I’ve seen water out here in the desert.  This first one was the smallest crossing.

1-IMG_2797

On the other side there was a couple with two large Poodles, so we stopped for a visit.  They were a little aggressive, but Yuma had a good time. 

1-IMG_27991-IMG_2801

Beautiful mountain views as we drove the sandy road.  Not bad.

1-IMG_2802

The second crossing was bigger, but still shallow.

1-IMG_2807

1-IMG_2809

The third was deeper, but shorter.

1-IMG_2814

1-IMG_2819

About five miles into the canyon, there is one section that gets rough.  It goes uphill and the rocks are fairly big and jagged.  I decided not to chance going up this section, so Yuma and I parked the Jeep and started walking.

1-IMG_2816

1-IMG_2822

1-IMG_2826

Yuma had a blast running around and checking everything out.  He didn’t run off, but I worried when he got out of sight sometimes.  So, I would call him.

1-IMG_2841

Didn’t take too long before we were at the top looking across a large valley with mountains all around.

1-IMG_2830

Our hike stopped at the top of the rise overlooking the valley.

1-IMG_2831

Off to the right center behind that Ocotillo plant way down in the valley, I could see a Palm tree grove.  I wanted to walk down to them, but Yuma said his feet hurt, so we didn’t.  They were probably a half mile away.

1-IMG_2833-001

We didn’t have to walk down.  I just zoomed down.  I really like the zoom on this camera. 

1-IMG_2838

Just a few more photos on the drive back.

1-IMG_28501-IMG_28551-IMG_2856

Never get tired of Fonts Point.   That may be my next adventure.

1-IMG_2857

See you later.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful scenic pictures! What awesome colors, not only of the palm trees, but around them, too. The road looked pretty bumpy heading down to the valley. I really enjoyed all the wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Your hair didn't look that stiff! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dolly. Only a wife wouldn't think the hair was out of control. I really liked that drive. May do it again and next time make it to those Palm trees. If I was only 40 years younger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made it to that third water crossing last year and ate our lunch there but didn't do the hike you did or see the palm trees. The scenery around here just never stops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an enjoyable jeep ride. Not too bumpy to that point and the scenery was just great. Very desolate back in there.

      Delete
  5. There's some Indian ruins on the bluff, just prior to the 2nd crossing. Fonts Point was the filming location for Last Days in the Desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting area. Thanks, Jeff. With the badlands just off Fonts Point, it does make for some beautiful scenery for a movie.

      Delete
  6. Non stop scenery in the area every tome we turn around. no jeep for us so we are kinda restricted to designated good roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty, but even with a Jeep I have to make sure I don't go too far. Not as good at walking as I used to be, if something should go wrong.

      Delete
  7. Looks like an awesome drive! Don't you go getting stuck out there in those water holes, I don't know that Yuma can drive while you push the jeep out. :) And Dolly must miss you, usually it is the wife who points out her hubby's out of control hair!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly is probably glad not to be cleaning a dusty motorhome. It was fun to go through running water for the first time. If I get stuck, I'll tie a rope around Yuma and use him like a mule to pull me out!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful pictures, I love the Ocotillos and there delicate green leaves.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a day with a nice overcast sky, but still lots of sun peeking through. Glad I went on the jeep ride. Probably going to be a lot of flowering plants soon, with all the damp weather we've had.

      Delete
  9. Great Pictures as always Doug.
    We've got a big list of places we'll have to visit Next Winter.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never get tired of seeing the mountains! Also, I thought that palm tree grove was pretty neat. I don't think I've ever seen them like that before. I thought your hair looked good standing up like that! :) Even though it was a gloomy day, I'm glad you still had an adventure with Yuma! Too bad his feet started hurting!

    ReplyDelete