Thursday, February 16, 2017

Joshua Tree National Park–Part II

Thursday, February, 16, 2017

My location: Near the Southern entrance to the Joshua Tree NP

This morning, I was determined to stay home and just rest.  Took our morning walk around the area taking in the quiet morning beauty.

1-IMG_3794

1-IMG_3799

1-IMG_3804

While walking back to camp, Yuma could not resist running over and asking Jodie to come over and play.   Here she comes at full gallop!

1-IMG_3801

I think they like each other.  Is that a little kiss behind the Creosote bush?

1-IMG_3803

We tried laying around, but finally decided to go Jeepin’ and see if we could find the South entrance to the Pinkham Canyon Backcountry Road.

1-IMG_3806

Just as we arrived seven jeeps in a caravan came from the other direction.  This is a 22 mile very rough road where parts require four wheel drive.  I only have a quarter tank of gas and don’t have the strength to take this rough road today.  Maybe I can find a group to tag along with some other day.

1-IMG_3811

1-IMG_3807

I believe Pinkham Canyon is just around the bend before that hill in dead center, but knowing I wasn’t going through, we just turned around and called it a day.

1-IMG_3817

You can tell it is a rough road even in the first couple of miles we traveled.

1-IMG_38131-IMG_3819

We decided to drive up the mountain side for a bit just to take a look around.  At the level we were, I could see over Box Canyon and the Salton Sea was beyond it.  This is a zoom shot.  That is I-10 down below in the valley.

1-IMG_3821

1-IMG_3823

Now for more of our journey into Joshua Tree NP.  Yesterday, our blog stopped when we reached the first Joshua Tree.  We will now travel towards the western end of the park.

First thing I notice is there are many more Joshua Trees.  Unfortunately, many have died and there is not a large abundance of new trees growing to fill in the gaps.

1-IMG_3711

1-IMG_3735

1-IMG_3776

The more we travel West, the more boulders we see.

1-IMG_37361-IMG_3739

1-IMG_3740

1-IMG_3713

1-IMG_37181-IMG_37191-IMG_3724

Here is Skull Rock.

1-IMG_3725

1-IMG_3742

We turned onto Keys View Drive

1-IMG_3768

and headed to the top of the mountain overlooking the Salton Sea way to the South, and

1-IMG_3754

the cities of Coachella and Indio to the West in the Coachella Valley, and

1-IMG_3748

Had a drunk guy take this photo.

1-IMG_3755

San Jacinto Peak at 10,834 feet to the Northwest.

1-IMG_37491-IMG_3766

That is Joshua Tree NP in pictures.

Cooked my first pork chop for dinner and it came out perfectly.  Can’t wait to cook the other two, now that I’m a professional cook.  The left over corn tasted a little water-soaked, but edible.  I gave away my sack of potatoes the other night to Eric or I might have tried French fries.

Had a beautiful sunset tonight.

1-IMG_3825

See you later.

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures of Joshua Tree and all the great looking rocks.I'm glad whoever took your pictures didn't have you step back any more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a big step backwards, I'm sure. Glad you like the rocks. They have plenty more too.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you and Yuma are parked in a beautiful spot. Great pictures of a beautiful National Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom and Deb. It is a great location with good cell reception being near the interstate.

      Delete
  3. Hi Doug, I've been reading and enjoying your blog every day but computer issues stopped me from commenting. I hope it is fixed now ! ( or at least patched ). Loved your story of mysterious night time visitors and rescue of little white car with your reward of a steak dinner and more new friends for both you and Yuma. Joshua Tree is very scenic and you have been getting really nice photos. Stay safe and Enjoy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Moonfly. Wondered if you were still reading. Glad to have you back and hope your computer problem is over.

      Delete
  4. Some very wonderful scenery there to enjoy we did that park a few years ago and loved it, great pictures.
    Glad you are now a professional cook now, enjoying some great food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still got a ways to go before catching up with your great cooking.

      Delete
  5. Hi Doug. I always recall seeing the San Andrea's Fault when we visited Joshua Tree. I believe I spotted it in your photo you titled "Indio to the West in the Coachella Valley." That fault line has always stuck in my mind for some reason and I was delighted to see it in your photo. I bet CA is delighted it is still there too!!

    Enjoy your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Went back and looked. I hadn't noticed it, but there it was. Funny how we never think of that earthquake danger until it happens. Hopefully not for a long time.

      Delete
  6. We usually do JT in a day, but one could take 2-3 days to really see it all. We are always in such a darn hurry! We need to slow down!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Cheryl Ann. I have the same problem. Always in a hurry. I'm hoping I get to do the Pinkham Canyon trail. That would be slow traveling.

      Delete
  7. I think this is your best set of photos ever Doug. Sharp and clear. Keep up the good work:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AL. I really appreciate it coming from you. Still learning how to use the editor to properly display what I see.

      Delete
  8. What beautiful pictures, Doug! Love the rocks and the dog play. Yuma sure knows how to pose for a picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy. Yuma is the best. So glad he loves it out here.

      Delete
  9. Hi Doug, just to let you know that my thoughts are with you and Yuma tonite as you ride out some incoming rough weather. I have checked the radar and it looks extremely close to you right now. Stay safe and hope you get to enjoy Gold Rush later this evening. Good Luck !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the boulders! And your pics of the Jeep are great and could be stock photos! Why are the Joshua trees dying? Not enough water? I'm glad you're a professional chef now and made an excellent pork chop! You'll have to make a perfect one for Dolly when you get home! 😊

    ReplyDelete