Friday, February 9, 2018

Split Mountain and the Snake

Friday, February 9, 2018 – Location:  Clark Dry Lake near Borrego Springs, CA

IMG_0737  Last night I had my apple pie a la mode for    dinner.  Forgot the plate was super hot so most of the ice cream I put on the plate melted immediately.  Won’t do that again.

This morning I made up for the small dinner by having four strips of bacon and three fried eggs.  Good thing I take cholesterol pills daily!

Didn’t do much today.  My feet still ache from yesterday’s hike.  While I rested in my lounger, Yuma kept careful watch over me.

IMG_0750About 2:30, Yuma and I took a drive down by the dry lake.  Saw the biggest coyote cross in front of us, but could not get the camera on him in time.  We just walked around a little in the lake bed and took some photos of the area.   I still am in awe at how beautiful the mountains around here are.

IMG_0751IMG_0752IMG_0753

Then headed over to find the stone snake.  This may be my last day here, so don’t want to miss it.  We stopped at the lower end of Coyote Mountain and hiked up.  I cannot believe after four previous hikes up there I still could not find the right valley for the longest time.  I walked over a mile and finally there it was.  I sure gave Deb and Riley terrible directions to find it.  The temperature is 88 degrees and my feet hurt.  Was not fun, but had to be done.  Wasn’t coming down till I got my photos!

Finally, I came over a ridge and there it was!  So glad.  Didn’t think I could climb another ridge today.IMG_0754IMG_0755IMG_0757

Enough for one day.  Not much, but still too much.  Now for the continuation of yesterday’s road trip to Split Mountain.  The drive is pleasant except for the bumpy wash.  Would not do this without 4 wheel drive.  Too easy to get into deep sand. 

I wonder how long it took to cut through this sandstone mountain.  By the looks of the walls, it is very fragile and water should cut through it fairly easy.  As you can see, the sides have crumbled over the years and rain water has cleared out the residue leaving a sandy floor.

Not going to say much.  Just let you enjoy the ride through my photographs.

IMG_0586  IMG_0601IMG_0587IMG_0590IMG_0591IMG_0595IMG_0597IMG_0600

IMG_0603IMG_0604IMG_0605IMG_0606IMG_0607IMG_0608IMG_0612  IMG_0619 

IMG_0613IMG_0614IMG_0616IMG_0617IMG_0618

We’ve made it through Split Mountain.  Hope you enjoyed the ride. 

IMG_0621

This what it looks like going on further into the wash.  Wash board sand as you can see.  Any sane person would stop here and go home.  But not me.  Curious as to what lies around that curve ahead.

For those of you interested in this trip, just around the corner ahead on the left are the Wind Caves.  It’s about a mile walk up to the caves.  I did the walk and viewed the caves five years ago.  Before Yuma.  They do not allow dogs at all, so we did not walk up there today.

IMG_0620

I’m going to continue this road trip in tomorrow’s blog.  Tomorrow will be the Sandstone Canyon adventure and a side trip for three miles up a slot canyon by foot.

Got to get ready for Gold Rush.

See you later.

17 comments:

  1. Split Mountain is an amazing place. So beautiful. Maybe the most interesting place to see. That snake formation always seems elusive. 😊 Can't wait to see the slot canyon. Rest up those feet! Have a good night. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. That snake hike did me in. Didn't realize how tired I am. Ready for bed all ready.

      Glad you liked Split Mountain. Is interesting. Good night.😘

      Delete
  2. There is just way too much climbing and hiking going on out there !! But, your photos of those cliffs are amazing - especially with your Jeep or Yuma in there to show how tall they really are. You finally got to me with that Julian pie - I bought apples today and am going to make my own fresh baked apple pie for Sunday brunch. Thanks for the inspiration 🍎😀🍏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. At least you can bake your own. That is way out of my league 🙄

      I keep thinking I'll slow down and just enjoy the nice weather, but just haven't gotten there yet. One day!

      Rushing water can cut through about anything. Not the Grand Canyon but still amazing.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! Your pictures of Slit Mountain and the mountains around the Snake are beautiful. Are they the Santa Rosa? The ride was great, thank you for taking us along!
    Love the picture of Yuma watching over you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy. The snake is located at the south end of Coyote Mountain. Just West of my camping area. And yes, you can just see the Santa Rosas peeking up in the first picture of the snake.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, excellent pictures. On the list for next year. Love that drive.

    The views of the dry lake bed are so amazing. Like you I will never tire of them. Stunning!

    The elusive snake. He's harder to find than one that moves. Hahaha....

    I think dinner looked very good. Ice cream is still ice cream even if it is melted.

    Safe travels Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. You're right about that snake. I think he does move each year and that's why I can't find it.😂

      Delete
  5. Doug, we took the ford focus up there last year after you left Joshua tree and hiked up to the wind caves. We took punk on every trail it said no dogs. When will you be at Joshua tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you took that Focus in there. Takes guts. Surprised you didn't get stuck.

      I could be on the south slopes of Joshua Tree tomorrow if you can make it down. Let me know.

      Delete
  6. What beautiful pictures of your ride through Split Mountain. Now you have done it, Tom and I will have to take that ride...:)
    Great picture of Yuma at the beginning of the post.
    Interesting picture of the plane landing in yesterday's post in all the dust.
    Safe Travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You and Tom would love the drive. And be sure to go just past the end of the mountain and walk up to the Wind Caves. They are neat, but no dogs allowed.

      That Osprey was something else. In my mind's eye, I could just see ground troops coming out of the dust.

      Delete
  7. Love the dry lake bed, the snake and now split mountain all wonderful pictures. Enjoy the rest of your stay there and travel safe wherever you may go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. Think my time here is up. Moving on soon. Hoping it is not my last.

      Delete
  8. Have you been to Death Valley and done the Titus Canyon drive? Split Mountain reminds me of that drive. It's beautiful! Your pictures are awesome! Glad you found the snake, doesn't sound like fun to me. Do you ever slow down?! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been to Death Valley. I'm going to be reading the maps today and will look at Dear Valley. Never been there.

      Snake is not far to walk, but for some reason each year I have a hard time finding it. This time I was still tired from the long walk the day before, so tired out quickly.

      Delete
  9. You’re right Doug, the mountains are beautiful and you do such an amazing job of capturing them to share with us! Thank you! Rest those feet! I love you!

    ReplyDelete