Friday, January 17, 2020

Finishing the slot canyon

Truckhaven BLM near Salton City, California


When I woke up this morning and looked out my bedroom window, this is what I saw.  Another beautiful day!

Took Yuma for a walk first thing down to the big wash just North of us.
Santa Rosa Mountains
Large wash with the Santa Rosa Mountains in the background.
 After breakfast, I thought about going to do laundry, but then I asked "why not tomorrow?".  Then I did what I really wanted to do today.
This is the life!
 
There you are! I thought you left.  Okay then, let's get through this slot canyon.  Lots of rocks have fallen around here.  But, I see lots of head crushers!


Pretty tree.

Dry waterfall.
 



End of the line for me.
 The picture from here are the views going back.  Looks different.









There's the Jeep!

Put her in 4-wheel drive and up and out of this wash I go!

Now, that's where I want to live!


I left Yuma at home because there is a rule in this state park that doesn't allow dogs on any trails.  Of course, I gave him a treat for being such a good boy.

Hope you enjoyed the slot canyon.  See you later.

23 comments:

  1. Thank you for the amazing pictures of that wonderful slot canyon. What a beautiful place! Super sunrise this morning. We're getting snow now, with more crazy weather on th way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dolly. I guess you're in for a Winrt wonderland! Enjoy it from inside.

      Delete
  2. Those slot canyons are so cool. As long as rain isn't forecast! Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Based on the size of some of those boulders you definitely don't want to be in there during a flood.

      Delete
  3. Interesting landscape Doug! Nice to give Yuma a treat. I'm enjoying your adventures. Take care, Rawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rawn. It is fun to just hike and take pictures. Especially nice when others can come along through my posts.

      Delete
  4. We're enjoying and envying your trip Doug, good pics. Gord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gord. I hope everything has come together with your new home. Missing last winter has made this one special. Hopefully, you two will be back next winter.

      Delete
  5. It's why we have enjoyed the Great American Southwest for so many years. Can't imagine going anywhere else for the winter. A true land of adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Al. I have a brother in Merritt island Florida, but the scenery and weather can't touch this part of the country.

      Delete
  6. The slots are very cool to hike around and through. Be sure and watch for falling rocks, not to mention rain! LOL Great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would be drowning and your MH would be getting dirty. Bad combination:))

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures once again Doug! The slot canyon is amazing! Yuma may have enjoyed a little quiet time alone, but hopefully he didn't know where you were going without him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. Last time I took Yuma and he loved running through the canyon. He never likes it when I'm gone. Almost knocked me down when I opened the RV door. :))

      Delete
  8. Hiking alone in the slot canyons?, brings visions of Aron Ralston! Be careful out there!
    I thought Yuma might be taking the pictures of you, but he was not there ... tripod? Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. Wish I would remember a tripod, but this is just find a rock kinda tripod. Luckily I do carry a pocket knife and if that doesn't work, there is always the trusty 9mm. :))

      Delete
  9. Great pictures Doug. Yuma looks so content with the return treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yuma wasn't fooled by the treat. He knew I had left him and he was disappointed.

      Delete
  10. You guys are definitely enjoying the good life out there in the desert. I think Yuma wants to go back to the sand dunes where he can run like crazy.! 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are! The weather has been great. I think Yuma would have run like crazy in that slot canyon.

      Delete
  11. Looks awesome Dad! I really like the picture of the Santa Rosa mountains with the shadow of you taking the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beauty for sure. Loved the photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete