Sunday, January 5, 2020

Move to California for an afternoon cookout with friends

Ogilby Road west of Yuma, Arizona

Didn't sleep as well as I thought I would for as late as I stayed up.  I was up around 7:30 to finish packing and get out of the shooting range.  I loved my spot on the lake, but Yuma wasn't having anymore of this recreational duck hunting.

Didn't eat breakfast, thinking I would do it later and finally it just didn't happen.  As soon as the sun was up, I finished putting things away and hooked up the Jeep.  As daylight got underway I was done and took the picture of my sand debacle.
A big mess.
Had a flyover celebrating my accomplishment last night.
About 9 o'clock, we left Mittry Lake and headed out to do our normal moving process.  Dumped tanks, took on water and propane.  Then we went into Yuma and stopped at a smaller Walmart Market on the west side of town that Elva had recommended.  Much less crowded, so thank you Elva.  Filled the MH with gas at Arizona prices. :))

It was 1:15 by the time I was done with all of this and heading about 15 miles West on I-8 to Ogilby Road.  I had good directions from Deb as to where the cookout was happening, but I screwed it up.  Turned on American Girl Mine Road and followed it about three miles to a locked gate at the entrance.

Of course, no turn around area, so unhooked the Jeep and got the MH turned around and hooked the Jeep back on.  I hate it when this happens.  Now I'm really tired and hungry!

Deb called and gave me directions again and this time she was standing roadside waiting.  I felt a little embarrassed but glad to be closer to a resting place and food.

Got set up and cleaned up with barely a minute to spare for our three o'clock cookout and I wasn't going to be late for that.  Didn't get any pictures of the food because I was too busy eating.

Afterward we all sat out in the sun until it got dark chatting and having a good time.
Left to right: Elva, Deb, Jerry, Tom, Riley and Deb
Left to right:  Tom, Deb, Riley Doug, Elva Deb, Jerry
 Deb ran down someone walking by and asked if she would take a group picture and she did.  The sun gave us all a radiant look as it sank into the western clear sky.  Poor Yuma was back at the RV resting.

See you later.

20 comments:

  1. It looks like the sand took got the worst of you being stuck 😀 So glad you were able to get out. The cookout looked like a fun time, not to mention the delicious food. Hope you and Yuma can get reste# up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. It was a tiring battle for sure. Glad I didn't back off the embankment when I zoomed out of there. The delicious hamburger on a uninsured hit the spot. I'm going to rest today and get my energy back.

      Delete
  2. Funny how it doesn't look like you were really stuck. It doesn't take much I guess! I would still be parked there ... probably forever! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Nancy, all you have to do is ask the guy or gal with the biggest truck and the sand will be no problem. $20 tip if they will take it and you're on your way. :))

      Delete
  3. Glad you were able to get out of the sand and moved closer to your Friends but going without eating has its own problems.
    Be Safe and Enjoy being with the others.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the not eating Rick. After the strenuous work of digging band the stress that goes with being stuck, I was very tired on Sunday. I did enjoy that hamburger on a bun a lot. We had a good time.

      Delete
  4. What a mess you made! haha, Been there, done that in sand and snow! LOL a 2 wheel drive just doesn't like that stuff.
    That was very nice that you could all get together for the cookout! Are you sticking around there for a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did clean up and smooth the sand out before leaving. Didn't want the next RVer to have to deal with it. We had a great time and the food was delicious. I over ate. Only be here a few days before heading over to the Dalton Sea area and then up to Quartzsite.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great group of friends having fun. Hard to say good-bye to Mittrey Lake - but Yuma didn't like all the shooting.! 🍀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful area and it appears the Lake didn't want me to leave. I really pigged out after not eating all day. Great food and company.

      Delete
  6. Good gathering for Happy Hour, looks a bit chilly despite the sun and warmth of friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just the right sized gathering. When the sun sets the coolness quickly creeps in.

      Delete
  7. You certainly have had several tiring days in a row. Hope you move closer in to the neighborhood after you rest up some.
    Glad you made it here. It certainly was a nice evening of good food, good conversation, and just relaxing with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do need to rest. Don't jump back like i used to. Enjoyed my visit and the delicious food hit the spot.

      Delete
  8. It takes skill and determination to get a rig unstuck from sand. Looks like you had both!
    Regardless of the tough start the day ended well.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I knew I wouldn't sleep till I tried. Thank goodness it came out but I still didn't sleep well. I guess the anxiety of it all kept me awake.

      Delete
  9. Glad to have you in the neighbourhood Doug. Happy that the 'unsticking' wasn't as difficult as it could have been. Food was pretty good but the company was excellent!! A lazy day around the RV and you'll be raring to go again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I was starving and the food and company were both excellent. Felt better after eating and a good night's rest will get me back to normal.

      Delete
  10. Yup, know how frustrating that is getting to a dead end road and then having to un-hook, turn around, and hook up again. Drove my bonkers the two or three times it happened to us. Not as green over there at Ogilby but a whole lot quieter for sure and lots of room for everybody. Would you believe I saw a small red airplane land near where you are then quickly take off again. Yup, and I got pictures of him too. I think it might have been a drug drop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about the plane. It is much quieter but I miss the coyotes.

      Delete