Monday, January 13, 2020

Moving day

Truckhaven BLM, Salton City, California

This morning, I again was awake earlier than usual.  Was up and going around 7:30 and I'm not complaining.  The weather is just perfect outdoors and it wasn't long before Yuma was laying in the doorway soaking up the sun.

After breakfast and our walk, I slowly started packing things in preparation for our move further into California.  My plan is to move close to Borrego Springs, California and Jeep around the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park over the next week or so.

Finished packing and left around 10:30 with plans to make the 95 mile drive by 2 o'clock.  Need to stop in Brawley Walmart to do a little shopping.  Plus, I'm driving a new route today and want to stop and look around whenever I see something I like.

We headed North on Ogilby Road which dead ends into East/West highway 78.
Much better than I-8.

Must dead end soon.

Turning left onto highway 78.
I must say it is pretty all through this area.  I'm glad Al (Travel With The Bayfield Bunch) told me about it.  I'm sure he has been at this Stop sign a time or two.
Looks beautiful to the West.

See the turn-off ahead.  Yuma and I took a picture break.

Stood on that hill top to get the next picture.

It wasn't long before we were out of the mountains and into the Imperial Sand Dunes.


There is a look-out at the top of the sand dune ahead and we went up there to look out over the dunes.  There were sand runners up there taking a break.

Yuma ran over to them to get pets.

Looking back the way we came.

It wasn't long before the fun was over and we were heading into Brawley and the Walmart store.  Not too crowded and I found everything I was looking for and more.

Drove on up to the Borrego Springs turn and met Deb and Riley at the Truckhaven service center so they could lead me back to their place in the desert.

Got all set-up close to dinner time.  Sat outside with our hosts for a short period just long enough to get a picture of the sunset and then called it a night.  We did make plans for a Jeep trip tomorrow.



Even though we didn't travel far today, we are tired and ready to call it a night.  I've still got dinner to make, so better get cracking.


See you later.

16 comments:

  1. Such a fun drive, glad you took your time to share it. And an awesome sunset to end your day. Are you watching the Championship tonite? I've got myself covered on this one ... Go TIGERS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. It was a fun drive and so beautiful. Many different colors in the mountains. No TV tonight. Try tomorrow to see what I get. Go Tigers!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic pictures Of the Imperial Sand Dunes. A gorgeous shot fro the top of the sand dune lookout point. Looked like a great drive over. The last shot is so serene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. It was even more beautiful in person. Glad we went slow and got some pictures to share the beauty.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures of the dunes, Doug. Very pretty views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy. The dunes and mountains today were so photogenic

      Delete
  4. Lots of great photos- the 1st one is my favorite with all the shades of blue and purple. Cute that Yuma ran up to socialize with the sand runner guys. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. Yuma is a friendly guy. I hope you have a great day even if the weather isn't so good.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a beautiful drive to me. You're going to a spectacular place. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Elva. I'm glad I took that route instead of I-8. Much more interesting. Hope you're having a nice comfortable morning.

      Delete
  7. If you have never been along S22 two points I could suggest for you. Fonts point and Slot Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Go every year and this will be no exception. Today is Split Mountain.

      Delete
  8. Yes, that route between Ogilby Road and Borrego Springs is great. We tried the I-8 through El Centro one time and vowed never to do that again. That Walmart in Brawley is one of our favs. I like how they did the store's outside in southwest colors. Been to Truck Haven a few times but never stayed there but of course that was when the Clark Dry Lake Bed was still open. Split Mountain is a nice drive and I especially liked climbing around the 'Wind Caves'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Borrego Springs area is much prettier, but I do get my local channels for this weekend's football games way up here out of the mountains. Only 23 miles down there, so Yuma and I will see the green grass for sure. I think Deb and Riley got their fill of hiking through the slot.

      Delete