Thursday, February 27, 2020

Day of rest and hosting Happy Hour

Location:  BLM near Winterhaven, California

Slept well last night and didn't wake up to check my time till it was just after 8 o'clock.  Laid in bed till 9 reading blogs and making comments.  Today is an absolute stay at home and do nothing day.

Going to get up to the upper 70s with a slight breeze to keep the heat down.  In fact, as the day progressed it became overcast which really made  for a nice afternoon.

Had a leisurely breakfast with a few walks with Yuma.  Didn't make my bacon and eggs till after noon and it was 1 o'clock before I was done with breakfast.  That is really spreading breakfast out.
Having coffee in my PJs on a beautiful morning.

At 1 o'clock, Yuma wanted to go for a Jeep ride, so we headed up the road towards the sand dunes.  The sand road followed the big powerlines.
We followed it till it came to an end just before the sand dunes started.  The road got so bad I had to put the Jeep in four wheel drive to keep moving forward.  With two wheels, I sunk in and started spinning the tires.

At the end of the road off to my right was a road heading North towards the interstate.  Couldn't believe it, but there was an old homestead for sale along this road in the middle of the desert. 
It was completely dilapidated with pigeons in the rafters.


I mean lots of pigeons in the rafters.

Took some pictures, then continued North until it hit an old paved road partially covered with sand that ran along the interstate.  I'm sure it was the highway before the interstate was built.
RV coach comes with it.


Pigeons inside.

Pigeon poop everywhere.





Made our way home and it was soon time for Happy Hour.  Bill, Patsy, Kim and Ken showed up in Ken's car.  I had opened the awning, but as it turned out, the overcast skies and breeze made for just a beautiful and relaxing afternoon.
Kim, Patsy, Yuma, Ken and Bill.
Ken and Bill helped me to locate the cables that ran from the batteries to the bay on the other side of White Lion to where the inverter used to be.  Evidently, it had been removed.  Because the cable is already in place, I will save several hundred dollars not having to buy and have them install cables.  :))

We had a very chatty and relaxing afternoon and Yuma was an excellent host.  He just laid at our feet and snoozed the afternoon away.  Before we knew it, it was 5 o'clock and the party was over for another day.  Love being able to entertain on my new patio carpet and chairs.

After everyone left, Yuma and I took another long walk and soon time for making dinner.
Close-up of a large Ocotillo.


Desert Lily.
  Had steak, corn and a whole small potato for dinner.  Saving my pudding and whipped cream till after I finish my post for the evening, so I can savor my dessert. :))

I needed a day like this one to unwind.  Tomorrow, I have things to do again, but today was perfect.  

Enjoyed the beautiful sunset.




For those of you who haven't seen me in awhile, I have a fairly full beard and long grey hair.
See you later.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for checking out the housing site, I'll pass! Doubt if it'll sell anytime soon. That full 'retired' look, looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. Couldn't go to work at State Farm back in the day looking like this. Great to be retired:))

      Delete
  2. OMG! That's scary! No smile. 😁 Did you make a bid on the homestead with all the squab?? Beautiful sunset! Really gorgeous. Glad you could all relax at HH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dolly. I promise to smile in the next picture :)) Like Jeff, I think I'll pass on that homestead. It was a beautiful evening. Warm and no breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A real fixer-upper!!! You've have ready made dinner for a year!! I do love those drive-around-do-nothing days! Hopefully I get back to them soon. Love the beard!! It makes you look distinguished!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about distinguished. More like a prospector who's been in the desert too long. :)) It is a lot of work to get to those do nothing days, but worth it.

      Delete
  5. Nice pic of you relaxing outside with Yuma and coffee! I love fixer uppers, but YUK! The inside was horrible with those pigeons living there! Nice that you hosted HH once again. Too soon and it'll be over for the next several months. Love the sunset pics and of course your last pic too! A smile would be nice though LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. I promised Dolly I would have a smile in the next picture. I don't think that house could even be a fixer upper. Too far gone. Now maybe the RV! :))

      Delete
  6. Another beautiful day in the Sunshine.! 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a nice warm day that I enjoyed very much.

      Delete
  7. You have a great spot and I love that you are enjoying it. Thank you for Happy Hour on your patio! You are quite the socialite, you know! And Yuma is quite the host! :)
    See you later today at 166.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy. For being such a recluse,you, Bill, Ken and Kim have really brought me out of my shell. I thank you for that. I'm glad to see the social side of this wonderful RVing life.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a good day. Yuma is usually the perfect host and you are always good at keeping up your end of the chatter. Quite the fixer-upper, I hope Yuma cleaned his paws before getting back in the jeep. Keep having fun Doug!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Deb. I worried about Yuma being around all that pigeon poop. I know it can carry bad stuff. Have a great and relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We saw that property but we didn't stop. Would be interesting to know the story about that property. We were going to return to Pilot Knob on that old road but the condition was so bad we turned around and went back to the dirt road. I LOVED the pictures of the ocotillo and the desert lily.....beautiful. Elva Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rummaging around in old ruins is always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Doug!!! That was an awesome travelogue. Not only has it kindled my deep buried passion for travel but has also inspired me to document my travels with breathtaking pictures. The eerie homestead for sale, and of course the happy hour with your loved ones was the perfect way to spend the day resting. Keep inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete