Monday, March 2, 2020

White Lion in for service

Location:  BLM near Winterhaven, California

Set my alarm for 6:30 this morning so I could take the White Lion in for a complete service.  It was hard to get up so early.  Even watched the sun rise over Pilot Knob Mountain.

No breakfast or coffee this morning.  It was nice out with no wind, thank goodness.  Took Yuma for a quick walk and off we headed by 7:30.  Stopped and put $100 of diesel in the White Lion.  Didn't even get it half full.  Will add more later.  Then we arrived at the 3-10 Truck Service.  This will take all day.  They are going to service the 7500 watt generator too, so I'll get both engines done today.  :))

White Lion waiting for servicing.
The next thing on my agenda was to do my laundry.  It has been awhile and today seemed like a great day to tackle this job.  Took three washers and two dryers, but got it done and Yuma and I were starving.  Near 11 o'clock now.  We headed to the nearest McDonalds and I had two sausage egg McMuffins and Yuma had a hamburger.

We had a lot of time to kill, so we took a drive out to Mittry Lake to see if that would be a good place to stay tonight.  
Dead Cottonwood trees.
We had to stop at the Imperial Date Gardens and I had a large Date Shake. :))  Very popular place.

Date tree farm.
We then headed on towards the lake.  Along the way, a wash running along side of the road had just had a fire run through it.  The firemen were watching for hotspots after it had been put out.
Fires do terrible damage.

Passed Laguna Dam.

Mittry Lake


Mittry Lake is beautiful.
It was getting on 2:30 and I had heard nothing from the truck servicing company so Yuma and I began driving back towards town.  I didn't realize how far out of town the lake was.  It had to be at least 25 miles.  I won't be able to stay here.  The drive in for food and ice would take too long.

I got to the truck service place a little after 3  o'clock.  I wanted them to know that if they couldn't finish it today, I needed to be able to stay in it for the night.  The young lady at the front desk said it was all finished except they were waiting on an air filter from Napa.  

Once they had it, they would install and be finished.  Unfortunately, it did not arrive until after 5 o'clock.  They usually close down at four but they remained there until it was delivered.  That was nice of them.  Here is the old one and they said it was filthy and causing breathing problems for the engine.  It's huge.

While waiting, a large thunderstorm went just north of where we were waiting.

Finally got the Jeep hooked by 5:30.  Glad to have this chore done.  The cost was $746.  Glad it only needs to be done once a year.  

It was late, so I decided to head back to the same BLM land I had left this morning.  I will stay there until my Weber Q grill arrives and then be on my way somewhere.  We are in the same spot we left this morning and we got here before dark.

I was starving, so I quickly fed Yuma and then made me a wonderful steak and beans and half a potato.  Followed that with a yummy salad and after I finish my post I'm going to savor a pudding with lots of whipped cream.  Then it's off to bed.

See you later.

20 comments:

  1. Lol - Diesel service is never cheap! Good mileage, long life, expensive service! but it's an yearly service, at least. Nice the W.L. is ready to go and all service performed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Jeff. Expensive but I'm glad I did it. Now I know my maintenance schedule. And based on that clogged air filter, it needed servicing. Soon as I get my grill I'll give it a test run to somewhere.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got everything done, even if it was an all day job. I'll bet that date shake tasted good. Beautiful pictures o tour trip to Mittry Lake. Lovely sunrise this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. That large date shake was good. Almost got another but thought better of it. Glad to have the maintenance out of the way. Sure hope the WL performs as well as Miss Adventure did.

      Delete
  3. Nice that you got that done and all good for another year. Nice that they waited for the filter to arrive, says alot about that business. You had a nice drive to Mitry Lake (beautiful pictures) sorry that it doesn't work for you but I'm sure you are right. Had a date shake once (small) it's good but just too sweet for my taste buds. Now chocolate....hmmmm. Dinner sounds yummy! Of course pudding with lots of whipped cream too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. They were nice people and I'm glad to have it done. I had never tried their date shakes but it was good. I think I have a sweet tooth :))

      Delete
  4. Yikes ..... that's looks like a nasty storm!! Glad you got the beast serviced. It's never cheap, but required if you want to stay on the road. Yuma got a burger? What a lucky dog!! I'm probably one of the few who has never had a date shake. It's on my bucket list!! For me, more whipped cream please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the storm went to the north by just a mile or so. Otherwise I would have been hitching the Jeep in the rain. Next time we're both in Yuma I'll take you for a date shake. Maybe they'll add whipped cream :))

      Delete
  5. That was actually a very successful day even though costly. You got a major thing done and now you know she is serviced top to bottom. It was very nice of them to wait for the filter.
    Pile that whipped cream on, I know you love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. I cleaned out my pail of whipping cream already and will have to make a trip to the store again. I am glad to know the WL has been serviced and I can drive it with confidence.

      Delete
  6. Diesel Service is generally good for Five Thousand Miles. That will barely get you home and back next winter.
    That was a nasty looking storm.
    Hoping your Weber Q arrives soon.
    You don't eat often but you eat more then I do but again you are enjoying the Goodlife.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your travels.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know Rick. You're right about the eating patterns. I know I should eat more small meals instead of one big one. Looking forward to getting the grill so I can move on.

      Delete
  7. Glad you got the motorhome servicing done. Its good to get the generator taken care of as well. Its probably been a while since that air filter was serviced. The desert dust can really dirty that up quickly. Your diesel engines needs servicing about every 15,000 miles or once a year. Since you probably won't put that many miles on in a year, you'll be looking at service once per year. You should have the oil changed on your generator once a year too. Considering how much work you had done on the motorhome, the price seems fairly reasonable. Now you're good to go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken. Now I know my schedule. I'm glad it's done. Ready to travel.

      Delete
  8. Goodness. For some reason your blog today made me emotional. The first picture of the sunrise....where we were positioned and where my chair is located in the MH.....that was my view every morning. Imperial Date Gardens reminded me of Mr. Nunez recent passing. Imperial Dam....reminded me of my youth and early adulthood. We would drive by the dam to get to a property my uncle had on the river. Sundays were river time with a huge group of family and friends. Ok. Enough of that! That sky looked really scary. Yesterday you got a lot done. I hope today is another beautiful day for you and Yuma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elva. I do like that drive through Bard and around through Mittry Lake. Very pretty. Long tiring day for some reason and I'm glad the WL is ready for traveling.

      Delete
  9. For the amount of work, generator and motor home, it was a very reasonable cost, plus they stayed late as well. The nice blooms at Mitry Lake certainly were eye catching. The storm pretty much missed us too, we got the wind but little else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. They were very nice at the shop. I'm glad we both missed the storms. Enjoy your stay in the grasslands.

      Delete
  10. I like that pudding with lots of whipped cream idea. Soon you will have all the maintenance things done and out of the way. Just in time to enjoy a little more of the great American Southwest before heading home again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have ours serviced, including the generator, once a year and Tom said our cost is in that neighborhood. One of those necessities of a diesel pusher; not fun to pay the bill but feels good to know it is taken care of.
    Great pictures of Mittry Lake it is beautiful out there. Those clouds were ominous looking we had some of those yesterday, also. The ones today brought the rain. Enjoy your time out at the Pilot Knob BLM.

    ReplyDelete