Sunday, December 29, 2013
Today is the day before we leave for Arizona. We had been planning to go to the Big Bend National Park in South Texas before heading to Arizona, but after watching the weather, we have decided it will be at least 10 degrees warmer in Arizona this time of year, so we nixed the colder temperatures and will head straight to Southern Arizona and 70 degree temperatures.
With the cold weather, I turned on the propane furnace and it would come on but when the temperature inside was at the thermostat setting, it would go off and then never come back on. Evan bought a circuit board thinking that was the problem but it wasn’t. We played with the furnace and adjusted the igniter prongs to place them closer together but still no ignition.
Yesterday, we decided that it may be the thermostat so Evan went to Menards and bought a Honeywell thermostat and today he put it in. That seemed to do the trick. It is now firing when the temperature drops to the low setting and heats the motorhome properly. We are going to assume all is right with it and head west in the morning.
I have two small propane heaters and two electric heaters, so if the furnace fails we do have back-ups and hopefully it will be much warmer where we are going and we won’t need heat except at night.
It is very cold and windy out today, so packing has been an ordeal. Almost done now, but will continue till the minute we leave I am sure. It will be around zero when we leave in the morning and I hope it is the last one I feel for this winter. Plan to spend the first night near Springfield, Missouri and I will provide an update tomorrow evening.