Friday, October 23, 2020

Getting Ready to Travel

 I've been working on the White Lion and studying for my CDL class B drivers license during October.  Proud to say I passed both the written and driving exams on the first try so done with that.


 I worried excessively about both but shouldn't have.  They were both easy.  It's my nature to worry I guess.

Getting this huge 41 foot motorhome in and out of my driveway is a pain in the neck.  It is just too long to move in tight places.  I manage but not without a learning curve.  The first time, I tried to do it without Dolly as my spotter I promptly backed into the ditch across the road and got stuck.  $260 tow bill to pull it out!



Then I forgot one of the bay doors was open and I pulled it forward in the shed area and hit a post.  Evan got it bent back so it locks but next Spring I'll have to pay to have it fixed and painted.  ):
I did get some good things done though.  With my son-in-law, Evan's help I added a propane outlet so I can use my Wave 6 propane heater and we figured out how to turn on the Hurricane heating system and the hot water.  Not sure if the solar panels can handle the system yet, but I can always use the generator for hot water if need be.  The Wave 6 should provide all the heat I need.

I bought and replaced my original black and white back-up camera with a nice new one with a 7" monitor.  Had to crawl the whole length of the underside of the MH to string the line from the camera to the monitor but it works great.  Getting too old for this stuff.

I bought a propane firepit so I can sit outside at night and enjoy a fire while watching the stars.  I believe I will be spending more time living in lazy comfort this year.  I feel a little slower so hopefully I won't do anything too stupid this winter, but stupid will probably happen anyway.

My plans are to leave late November after my doctor's appointment to have my blood vitals checked and to see where I stand on my pre-diabetes numbers.  Dolly plans to vacation at home again so just me and Yuma.

I'm going to miss all my Canadian friends who are trapped in Canada this winter due to the Covid 19.  Hopefully my journey and pictures will help with the winter time blues.

I'll post again as I get closer to D day.  Take care everyone.

34 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your winter blogs. Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty. I am looking forward to this winter also.

      Delete
  2. It's good to see an update. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elva. Been awhile but I'm slowly gearing up for the journey west.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear from you after Six Months. We'll be jealously following your travels this Winter as you spend time in the desert.
    Learning Curves can sometimes be costly.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the southwest.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick. Been awhile. My entire family is covid free and I'm thankful for that. I'm anxious to get started.

      Delete
  4. We're looking forward to following your travels. Hope you can get that Lion tamed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gord. Amazing what another 11 feet means. My driveway isn't built for the White Lion. I'm ready to go and hope the weather remains mild.

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you are getting ready for take off. I bet Yuma is excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Yuma is going to miss the easy and spoiled life Dolly provides him. I'm excited about this year's adventures.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. Hopefully our paths cross this winter.

      Delete
  7. Vitamin C and B12, Berberine will remove the pre-diabetes along with a good meal planning. Intermediate fasting and Berberine are godsends for removal of pre-diabetes!!!! Safe travels, and enjoy Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MCA. I am careful what I eat and do take vitamins. Have to research the Berberine. Looking forward to my journey.

      Delete
  8. Good to see your getting ready for another winter in the southwest and congrats on passing those driving tests. If it makes you feel any better I put our first Class in the ditch and needed a tow truck as well. Tore off one of our bin doors on a pine tree in our driveway and mangled a screen door when I caught it on our carport. I won't tell you about the new muffler I tore off just outside of Borrego Springs the last time we were there. I haven't told anybody about that one. Anyway, all the best and I'll be keeping an eye out for you on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one that makes these silly errors. As I get older I have to watch carefully because my memory is slipping a little. Looking forward to heading out but a little nervous too.

      Delete
  9. Can you share info on the back-up camera you installed?..I'm looking towards a newer one..
    As others said: Safe Travels!
    Thanks,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks UpriverDavid. I like the clarity of this one. I bought a Fookoo II on Amazon for $160 plus tax. Price was right and I got a certificate for a second camera for free and they came through with that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to following you and Yuma's travels this winter , I was beginning to wonder if any blogger was going south this winter . I bumped a few things with my 5th wheel that I was able to repair myself . Very careful now with the motor home but then it hasn't moved out of the drive but once this year. safe travels . Vern in Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vernon. I'm excited about going this winter. Are you going to get out of Idaho this winter?

      Delete
  12. Welcome Back Doug! We will be forward to your antics this year. And since we live in Green Valley Arizona, maybe we can meet up somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also looking forward to my journey this winter too, Pray. Green Valley is a beautiful area and hopefully we can meet.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on passing those tests!!
    Sounds like things are coming along, you'll get better at parking thr White Lion, slow and easy is the key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. Hopefully my bad luck is over and my journey this winter goes smoothly.

      Delete
  14. Ps, we will miss seeing you this winter too!!😔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer that I had just met you and your wonderful friends and now Covid comes along. Hopefully next winter

      Delete
  15. Excellent job passing the tests. You can't be too slow if you accomplished that! We've all had mishaps ... trust me, you are not alone there. I'll be hanging out around there soon. Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. Enjoy reading about your Pumpkin Patch adventures this month. Maybe I'll have better luck in the wide open spaces of the southwest.:)

      Delete
  16. Hi: Every morning when I grab 6 or 7 Ritz crackers to go with my first cup of coffee, I think of you. Sometimes in the afternoon, if I skip lunch, I'll have some more with a glass of milk. I used to consume a lot of cookies, but Ritz is taking over. It has been a warmer than normal summer in Phoenix, and we broke the old record for the number of days over 100. 143 was the old record, I think this year was 144, with a slight chance of more. Phil in Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  17. Still doing the Ritz crackers with peanut butter and a cheese on top with coffee every morning. Hope uou have AC. Be out that way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am catching up glad to see your post and to read you and Yuma will be heading west again this year. Sorry to read will not be joining you. Sounds like you had "fun" getting the White Lion into the yard. Looking forward to crossing pathss down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to read Dolly will not be joining you, is what I was trying to say.

      Delete
  19. Good to hear from you Doug. We will be staying in South Texas this year, so won't see you in the west, but if you pass anywhere near southeast Kansas give us a shout. If we are available we'd love to meet up with you for a visit. We will not leave Kansas until around the 1st of the year. I will look forward to your blog updates.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on passing the tests. I didn't think you'd have any trouble, although I knew you'd be worried about it. Once you get settled behind the wheel of the White Lion for a day or two you'll settle down and the worries will float away leaving just the regular travel issues to nibble at your mind as is usual with travelers. Too bad Dolly won't be joining you but I'm sure you and Yuma will enjoy the winter as always. Looking forward to checking on you and Yuma in the weeks and months ahead. Travel safe, stay healthy!!

    ReplyDelete