Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Jeep ride through Oak Tree Canyon and horses

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 – Location:  Las Cienegas NCA near Sonoita, Arizona

Nice and warm with plenty of sun to start my day.  75 for a high today.  Just perfect.

Spent a large part of my day just lounging around.  Didn’t fix my breakfast till noon.  The nice breeze and the warm sun just made me lazy.

IMG_2972

While sitting in my lounger, this cowboy sauntered by on his horse.  He was taking the other horse to a friend’s place so they both could ride.  He stopped and we talked.  He asked where I was from and I told him Illinois.  He said that he lives here now, but lived five years in Evansville, Illinois.  In fact he was heading back there in May for his son’s wedding.

IMG_2974

IMG_2975IMG_2976

Later in the afternoon, Yuma and I hopped in the Jeep for a ride.  I was curious as to where Oak Tree Canyon road went.  As we traveled along I ran into a few more riders.

IMG_2979IMG_2982

IMG_3005IMG_3007

IMG_2985IMG_2986

Stopped at an old well.  Not sure if it is used anymore.  No water in any of the tanks, but there is electricity coming to the site.

IMG_2989IMG_2991

About three miles down the road I came to this sign and a round-a-bout to turn around.  End of the line for vehicles.

IMG_2992

There was however, a gate for horse riders to use.

IMG_2993IMG_2997

Returning home with the Whetstones dead ahead.

IMG_2998

IMG_3000IMG_3001IMG_3002

Last year as I came into this area just before I crossed the creek coming into Oak Tree Canyon, there was a group of large very old Cottonwood trees.  This year all that is left are the stumps.  They may have been Oak trees.  Sad, but they are now gone.  I assume they were getting too fragile and could fall on someone.

image

IMG_2862

See you later.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, No! What do you think happened to the trees? The trees that are there are beautiful. A lot of horses and riders. Great pictures of them. Nothing wrong with having breakfast at boo. You are on vacation, right? ☺ Have a good night. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. The trees are very near a parking area and there probably a fear that one of those big limbs would crush someone. The trees were very old and fragile.

      It is so easy to relax in this vast grasslands. I'm hoping I haven't missed the big horse camp this year. Hopefully, there will be many more towards the weekend.

      Delete
  2. Too bad about the trees,they looked lovely.

    Great shots of the horses and riders. I loved watching them back at Superstition Mountain.

    Your spot looks fantastic, quiet, peaceful. I'll bet Yuma loves to run in the grass! He looked so forlorn in the jeep waiting for you. He's such a cutie.

    Enjoy your stay there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Say hi to Riley for me. It was sad to see the trees gone. They were so large, they stood out over the area. The stories they could have told.

      This is big horse riding country. Easy trails that are not hard on the horses' feet like in Apache Junction.

      Yuma loves to run around here. He is always sniffing out something.

      Delete
  3. I can see why you mentioned if you can pull yourself away from that beautiful place. It looks so peaceful and quiet. We are definitely going to take one day when we are Huachuca City and check out the area. Your pictures are wonderful. Yuma looks pretty happy.To bad about the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. It will be worth the drive on 82 through the pass between the Whetstones and the Mustangs. Looks a lot different on the west side of the mountains. Just drive on past the Empire Ranch. Great jeep rides. Go on down to Pagalonia if you have the time.

      Delete
  4. It is a wonderful place. so peaceful and quiet. I remember the trees one trail had a sign to beware of falling limbs .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were old. Remember they had big wires supporting some of the limbs. It was probably time.

      Delete
  5. Really hard to chose a favorite photo - they are all so beautiful and sure look like the Savanna of Africa to me. I heard the Pineapple Express weather maker is forming - but I don't think it will make it to your area. Looks like you are in a sweet spot once again - have fun.! 🌵🌷🐕😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. Looks a lot like the Savanna. The weather is going to jump up and down this week. Not bad, but may get some clouds and a sprinkle. They do need the rain. Grass is not as thick this year.

      Delete
  6. Always sad to see the trees cut down, as you note it may be for safety. In Borrego the tamarisk trees have been cut down to save water. With the Sonoran desert so distressed I'd be curious if that's the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems to be a harsh way to save water. The creek next to the trees seemed to have plenty of water running in it so don't think that is a problem.

    I may get a chance to ask while visiting Empire Ranch later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow..beautiful pictures! Love the cowboy pics! Now that's the southwest. Small world huh! I would love to see silo pics on your way home!!

    ReplyDelete