Thursday, April 11, 2024

Day of rest - Not!

This morning, we were out of bed at 8 o'clock and I was making coffee.  It is gorgeous outside and already warm.  Supposed to be near 80 this afternoon.

Had a full breakfast and sat outside with the boys.  My plans are to be lazy and then around 3 o'clock take a drive to some of the scenic views around this side of Lake Powell.

It was about 1 o'clock when a van came by the front of my MH and stopped.  They could see cars down by the lake so they started out before I could stop them.  They didn't make it 10 feet before they stopped and tried to back up.  They were stuck in deep sand.

Luckily, they did not keep spinning and dig themselves deeper in.  I quickly went up to them and they were all Romanians.  Must have been eight of them.  Luckily, some spoke English.  They were scheduled for a tour of Antelope Canyon in two hours and were pretty upset.

I told them I could probably pull them back out with the Jeep.  I had recently purchased a tow rope and now was the time to use it.  Didn't think to take pictures, but it was no problem with him going in reverse in the van and me pulling with the Jeep.  Out in no time.  They wanted to pay me, but I said if they had a Romanian coin, I would take it as a souvenir.

I have done a good deed for the good deed Deb gave me when she pulled me out of the wash.  On the debt goes to a Romanian.

At 3 o'clock, we took a fairly short drive on a scenic road between where I'm staying down to the Glen Canyon Dam along Lake Powell and finally the Colorado River.




Heading out of Lake Powell to the Colorado River



Glen Canyon Dam


Lake Powell at the bottom and Colorado River above


Boat dead ahead!

Marina


It is hard to stop.  The scenery is so beautiful.

We returned around 5 o'clock and we all were starving, so I quickly round up grub for us all and were just getting ready to settle in for a late afternoon rest in the beautiful late afternoon sun just watching the boats go along the lake and the people walking the beach.

Duty called again.  My neighbor stopped over and said a big 5th wheel was stuck down by the lake.  I peeked over my Jeep and sure enough there was a 5th wheel with a huge dual wheeled 4X4 truck stuck in the sand.  There was another 4X4 dually trying to pull him out with no luck.

My neighbor and I took the trusty Jeep down to give a hand.  Lots of digging and discussions going on.   It was a hard decision to either pull it up or down the hill.  Finally, it was decided that we place the Jeep in front with a tow rope hooked to the 4X4 and he was hooked to the 4X4 towing the 5th wheel.  Downhill to harder ground was the choice. With the little Jeep that could we accomplished the deed, and we made it to the hard surface down by the lake.  Two good deeds in one day!





Finally, got back to the RV, but the sun was setting and time for me to do my post for the evening.  

I wanted to mention that my granddaughter, Erin has decided to attend USC!  She loved the campus and the people she met were so nice. 

Erin and Dolly
I am planning on doing a quick tour of another national park tomorrow for the day, so stay tuned for lots more pictures.

Thanks for stopping by.

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Erin and her decision to attend USC. The
    Trojans will welcome her with open arms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures of the gorgeous water and day. Two tow outs in one day! That tow rope came in handy for sure.

    Thank you Arrowhead Grandma for your encouraging words. Erin said the USC campus was wonderful and everyone was so welcoming. She is looking forward to being apart of the Trojan family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. Bright blue skies really put the blue in the water.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to Erin on her final decision! Good luck.
    Pay it forward, I think you have some credit in that department Doug. I’m truly enjoying the views, thanks for sharing.
    I hope Yuma and Teddy are getting along!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. The kids are getting a little better.

      Delete
  4. You have had a busy day. It is always nice to be able to help someone out.
    Beautiful scenery, looking forward to seeing more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great pictures of the area! Really beautiful. Maybe you could start your own good deed business😄. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why people always try to drive in the sand. It never ends well. Good for you for helping out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did a good deed like that about 62 years ago. I drove up to a new shopping center and there was a car with its hood up. A night janitor failed to turn his lights off when he got to work the night before. I had a 1962 Chevrolet Corvair Convertible with a new pair of jumper cables. (He couldn't figure out why I was parking the rear end of my car by his front end). Nor had he seen jumper cables in action. He offered to pay me, but I said just go buy a pair of cables and keep them in your car. And big surprise, Ansel Adams was about 100 ft away on the roof of his car, taking photos of the shopping center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to look up who Ansel was. Very interesting. Are in one of his photographs?

      Delete
  8. I do believe you must have been a Boy Scout likely an Eagle Scout - good turn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Just like to step up when someone is in trouble.

      Delete
  9. More great views and a very special day. I like the statement:
    The little Jeep that could'
    Jolly Good!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. More Karma in your pockets!..Will they ever learn the commercials on 4x4's can rule the sand-snow-mud are lies?..Nah......

    ReplyDelete