Saturday, April 13, 2024

Time to move on

Updated to include pictures.

My week at Lone Rock on Lake Powell has come to an end and we must move on.  This morning, we didn't hurry.  I had a cup of coffee and started packing.  I had met the couple next to us during the sand pull incident, so I went over and said goodbye.  We exchanged blogs so we could stay in touch.  Not certain if they want me to put the link to their site, so I will wait for an answer in my Comments first.


Aww, Dad!  Do we have to go?

We headed out at 10:30. No, heading out isn't quick.  First, I had to stop and dump my tanks.  They had no water, so that comes later.  Next, I stopped at the first gas station just outside the entrance to Lone Rock and filled up the MH.  I noticed they had a dump station and I checked for water, and they had water.   

Lastly, I stopped at Walmart to get supplies to last at least a week and then I was really off, at noon.  Our destination is Mexican Hat, Utah, located, just north of Monument Valley and just south of the Valley of the Gods.

It would have been a quick 2-hour journey, but it extended to 5 hours because of all the stops for pictures.  We ended up at Goosenecks State Park just north of Mexican Hat on hwy 163.  Cost per night: $10.  I booked three nights.

My pictures for the day:

Started out flat and drab

May have to around that mesa

Looking better!







Old motel torn down





















Big grade and the next sign indicate sharp turn at the bottom.  Not a time to have brake problems.

 

The San Juan River bridge.  The road makes a sharp right just over the bridge.

After passing over the bridge we drove through the small town of Mexican Hat.  It is named after this rock formation on the edge of town.



We are parked about 25 feet from this overlook of one of the many horseshoes made by the San Juan River.

That was just the drive to Mexican Hat.  Now starts our three days of visiting parks and monuments.  

Thanks for stopping by.

7 comments:

  1. You must be in no man's land. That Meican Hat Rock sounds interesting. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are looking forward to your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay Safe and Enjoy your next adventure.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say taking five hours to do a two hour trip is the way us older folks should travel to do it right. Nice going.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! You're right. Your brakes better hold up on that down grade.

    ReplyDelete