Sunday, October 19, 2014

Quit my Job

October 19, 2014

In preparation for my trip this Fall, I gave notice to my manager at Advance Auto Parts the other day.  My last available work day will be November 22, 2014.  Since I only work one half day a week anyway, I may not work past my scheduled day this coming Wednesday. 1-20141019_163721

I have worked at Advance since April, 2008, so my part-time job has lasted over six years.  When I started, I worked four days a week for 5-6 hours a day.  My time has slowly dwindled till lately, I have only worked one to two days a week for 5 hours a day.  However, there have been weeks when I have been asked to work because of sickness and vacations, making some weeks an unplanned four or five day week.  My work ethic over the years makes it hard for me to let the “company” down when I am needed. 

Well, soon I will not be on anyone’s payroll and can do what I want when I want, if Dolly approves.  Some things never change.  I am surprised she has approved my solo journey out West this winter.  She knows that I really want to go and I think she looks forward to a little alone time with her animals and family and doing things on her own schedule without having to always take care of me.  We shall see how this works out.  Picture of Snowy Fergie heading for food bowl

I know it is important to do new things as we get older, and this will be a major one for both of us.  We have not been apart for four months since I did my Army tour in Viet Nam back in ‘68 and ‘69.

See you later.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Doug, I always like to stop in and see who are the wonderful folks commenting on my blog. I don't think I've seen you before or at least not in a long time so welcome! I salute you on your solo journey. Being retired is absolutely fabulous and I know your trip is going to work out fine. You'll never be sorry you did it. Only if you didn't. I have spent several summers in Chautauqua NY while David stayed in Virginia. We had a great deal to talk about when we phoned and when I got back. Cooking is seriously not that hard. I am sure you can do it and you will eat much better food if you do. I am surprised you are going across the country at the beginning of winter but I assume you are going way down south. Hope to hear from you again and safe travels on your journey.

    ReplyDelete