Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Bouse Cemetery

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Beautiful sunrise this morning.imageimageHave you ever done this?  The other evening it was raining, so waited till it quit to take Yuma for his walk.  No moon and it was dark, so grabbed the flashlight and we headed out.   Just let Yuma follow the flashlight through the mesquite bushes and up and down washes until he was ready to go home.  I turned around and all I could see was black.  I had forgotten to turn the porch light on!

This is what it looks like in daylight.

It was a little disconcerting, but I knew I would finally find the MH in the light of the flashlight sooner or later if I just back tracked; but it did catch me by surprise.

Today was a little slow.  Didn’t have much ambition even though it was going to be a beautiful day until late afternoon when the clouds roll in.   Made the decision to move on to California tomorrow.  The state of my birth.   My dad was in the Air Force and had just returned from war.  He was stationed in San Bernadino when I was born, but never really lived there very long. 

Decided to wander around in the jeep today, take some more photos and find that old Bouse cemetery.  Bet you didn’t know you could spend two days exploring the small community of Bouse, but I did.

Did you know that Bouse has an International Airport.  Yep, and I have pictures to prove it.image And their own newspaper.imageAnd their own mountain with their initial.imageAnd their very own fire auxiliary.imageAnd their own Assay Office.image

Can’t remember what this building on highway 72 was but sure looked neat.imageFinally found the cemetery by asking one of the locals.  It isn’t really marked.  Looked to me to be in someone’s yard and you would not find it without asking someone.image  Based on some of the dates, it is still being used.  Most of the graves had lost their identity.  Some had wood markers, others did have stone and then many had nothing.

The bulk of them were covered with pretty rocks to mark the grave site.

image

Poor ole Elmer was killed in 1931.  Wonder if anyone was arrested.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
image

If Thomas House is buried here, his marker must be long gone.  Maybe that’s him the fenced in plot.  Kind of a mess in there.

See you later.

7 comments:

  1. Your tour of Bounce was fascinating. I didn't realize there was so much history in that little town. Some of the grave sites looked as though they'd been cared for. I liked the one with the white stones and burro and cart. Really aamazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dolly. It was an interesting cemetery. Should have gotten a photo of the whole area. The cemetery sits next to a new home's driveway. Almost looks like it is in their side yard. Poor cemetery. No more privacy on the hill overlooking Bouse.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sunrise - I love that copper color :-) I especially like the Bouse newspaper - definitely my kind of media!! I finally got the nerve to read the post about Yuma's misadventure. Knowing it had a happy ending didn't make it any less gut-wrenching - that had to be the longest night of your life :-( I wonder if he smelled something scary in those barracks? In any case, I'm so glad it ended well and you boys are enjoying your time in the southwest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodee. Like anywhere, I have good days and bad days out here. By and large good thank goodness. Yuma has been extra good at coming to me when I let her out in the camp sometimes. She comes running fast when he gets out of sight and I call him. Trying to give him some freedom, but it is hard to do. Always so fearful. Amazing what a loss in trust can do to you.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed visiting with you and Yuma at the Blog fest. Thanks for sharing about Bouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice meeting you too, Hazel. Too bad Yuma didn't get to meet your greyhounds. That was some turn out. Wonder what will happen next year. May have to have our own Q group next January. Bouse, I am sure is a very poor community. If it wasn't for the snow birds in the winter, it would probably dry up.

      Delete
  4. Kelly & I have always made it a point to stop at old western cemeteries along the way as well. So much history on some of those old stones.

    ReplyDelete