Saturday, February 22, 2020

Short move day

Location:  BLM near Winterhaven, California

Woke up in the night with the sound of a light rain on the roof.  Not much.  When i got up around 7:30, I knew I had a busy day ahead.

First thing was to take Yuma for a walk as the coffee perculated.   It is warm, but quite cloudy and no rain.  In fact, I couldn't even tell it had rained during the night.
Clouds over Pilot Knob Mountains.
Yuma and I had to hurry because I had an open house scheduled for 9 o'clock and I had some house cleaning and straightening to do.  Patsy and Kim had not seen the White Lion yet and wanted a showing before I left.

Got everything done just in time and even turned on a bunch of lights for ambience.  I think they were impressed.  I know I really like my new home.  And I'm proud to show him off.

After the ladies left, Yuma and I got working on finishing our packing and unhooking from the wonderful water, electricity and sewer connections we enjoyed so much.  Back to the conservative lifestyle for us.

Eleven o'clock was the departure time from the Pilot Knob RV Resort and Yuma and I were heading for the exit at 10:30 with half an hour to spare.  We weren't heading far.

We drove out of the resort, turned right on Sidewinder Road and turned another right behind the resort and followed a hard sandy road along the power lines for about two miles due West to the BLM land near the resort.
Tips of the sand dunes dead ahead.

Found a secluded place about two miles down the road and pulled in.

It felt nice to park in the desert with the sound of the wind whistling through the coach windows.  It had cleared and the wind was blowing at around 15 mph.  As soon as we parked Yuma wanted to be outside.


After walking around and letting Yuma sniff the bushes and running everywhere, we came inside to relax for awhile.  I still tire easily and there were more things I wanted to accomplish before the end of the day.

Stop bothering me, Dad!
Around 1 o'clock I decided to head into Yuma to look for an ice chest to hopefully keep my milk and stuff cool for several days at a time.  I also want to check out a solar place to see if I can buy a larger monitor that would be able to handle two 100 watt solar panels.  I left Yuma home to guard the house.

I had seen a large ice chest at Lowes the other day, so that's where we headed.  They still had the one I wanted.  A large Coleman ice chest with wheels and a handle to pull it buy.  I have several at home, so I guess we'll have one more to add to the collection.

Then I followed my google directions to an RV solar shop named RV Connection.  I very nice gentleman sat down with me and I explained that I had recently bought a second 100 watt solar panel but when I connected it to my other panel with a 10 amp controller, it would blow the fuse, so I couldn't use the two together.

He was kind enough to order a 30 amp controller and will have it delivered to the store and I will be able to stop by on Monday and pick it up.  I have no address, so can't order anything to be delivered.

As I was walking through their store, I noticed they had outside rugs, so took a look at those and found a green one.  Size is 8' by 20' so plenty big enough for the doorway of the MH.  

I also saw they had sturdy Director Chairs with side tables that I had wanted.  Picked up two of those.  By the time I left the store I was $400 poorer, but had what I have been wanting.  Now I can entertain in style!

Stopped for gas in the Jeep, picked up 20 pounds of ice and headed home.  I was way on the East side of Yuma so took over half an hour to get home.  As I approached the desert, it started to cloud up again and I could see rain on the windshield.  It had cooled down quite a bit with the clouds and wind.

Just as I pulled into my place, I saw a four wheeler buzzing up behind me.  It was my friend Keith and his dog Oreo.  I let Yuma out and he and Oreo ran around like the wind.  Finally caught them when they both stopped for a short breather.

Both of them are young, lean and streamlined.  Unfortunately, the rain was picking up, so I gave Keith and Oreo a quick walkthrough of the White Lion and they were on their way.  I wish Keith wasn't leaving tomorrow.  It would be fun to take the two dogs out to the dunes and let them play.

It wasn't long before they both jumped onto the Can- Am and were off.
What a duo!
 It was really windy and downright cool, so Yuma took a quick walk and came in.  I brought the ice I and put it into the freezer compartment of the fridge and then went to lay down on the bed to rest.  Didn't even bring the rest of the things I bought into the MH.

I haven't actually fallen asleep during the afternoon since I don't know when, but the next thing I knew, it was after 7 o'clock and the sun was gone.    Already time to do the blog.  Yuma was confused.  He stayed on the bed and yapped at me to come back to bed.  He thought it was bedtime and wondered why I was up.

It's still windy and there has been a little rain off and on as I type my post for the evening.  Time for a little dinner and bed for real this time.

See you later.

22 comments:

  1. Hey Doug, sure like the looks if the White Tiger. Hope we can meet when you are in the Tucson area. Take care, Rawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rawn. Hope I make it over that way again this winter.

      Delete
  2. Super cute pics of Yuma on the couch - it really shows what a big dog he is.! Oreo & Yuma got to run & play in the desert. Yea! Freedom.😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. Yuma had the best time running free. He and Oreo are just great together. Just wish they could have more time together.

      Delete
  3. You might want to consider using dry ice, believe you can buy it at Fry's in Yuma. Glad you are getting settled in and have time for a nap when needed. Becki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki. I've got to run back into Yuma this morning. I will stop at Frys and get some if they have it. Not used to naps but I guess I needed it.

      Delete
  4. Before you consider using Dry Ice - be sure to google its dangers. Not sure you want to use it around Yuma.? Anyway, looks like you found another great spot for boondocking.😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Moonfly. As I was reading Becki's suggestion I was thinking of googling it. I've never used dry ice before. I'll check it out and make sure Yuma is in no danger before buying.

      Delete
  5. The only time we ever nearly got our first Motorhome stuck was right in the area you are in now. There is a lot of loose sand around there so keep a sharp eye out for soft spots. Nice pics of Yuma on the couch. For me, the whispering sounds of a desert wind were always a big part of why we were there and continued returning to the quiet solitude of the southwest year after year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I stopped at the very beginning of the BLM. Probably gets more Sandy as you head into the sand dunes. I'm in a good solid spot. Sure don't need the stress of getting stuck right now. It is much better to be out in the open than having RVs right next to me blocking the sun and wind.

      Delete
  6. What a character Yuma is! Funny how money slips through our fingers so quickly!
    You'll find me out on the patio every morning, listening to the critters and the wind in the palo verde trees. I hope your solar solution works. Sounds like you found the right guy to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the pictures I've seen your place must back up to the desert. That's nice. I wish I had an address to order Amazon stuff. I could save a lot of money. These RV stores aren't cheap. But if I want it now I must pay the price.

      Delete
  7. Love the pics of Yuma on the couch, he is so handsome! How far are you away from where we were? Love your buys, can't wait to see the new rug and chairs. Quite the afternoon nap. Take it easy and enjoy your spot in the desert. Remember to eat, as your body needs fuel ..I know I sound like a mom! LOL..I know the girls enjoyed their tour of the White Lion as we did! Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. That fat pork chop was delicious Ken. It really hit the spot. Can't wait to get my new porch stuff setup this morning and get a picture of it. I stopped at the first group of RVs a little closer in than you two were. Got a nice spot and think I'll stay awhile. Safe travels.

      Delete
  8. Looks like Yuma likes the new MH! he's settled right in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he has Jeff. Yuma is happy wherever there is a place to lay his head. So glad he has the patience to resist when I need to rest.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the tour of the ‘white lion’...it’s a very nice motorhome! I’m sure you will be very comfortable in your new home.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are welcome Kim. I'm loving all the space more and more each day. So much more comfortable than Miss Adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yuma looks right at home on the couch. I'm amazed that Oreo rides on the back of that ATV. Quite a sight! Hope your new refrigeration system works out. You'll have to take pics of your new outdoor furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's found a new spot now. He's up on the dash laying in the sun. I should have gotten a picture when Oreo had on his wind glasses. He looked so cool. I'll get pictures of my outdoor stuff in tonight's post.

      Delete
  12. I was confused. I thought you were going back to Ogilby. Then you turned right, then another right. I had to actually follow a picture in my mind. Good choice since you are still driving into Yuma quite a bit. Love the picture of Yuma resting. He looked so content.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Elva. Yep I'm just west of where you from we're staying in the BLM land. Yuma likes it out here.

    ReplyDelete