Monday, January 16, 2023

Calcite Mine Slot Canyon, Wind and Football

We had a little rain last night and I didn't get out of bed till 10:45 and to my surprise the sun was shining but a little cool with a breeze from the south.
Sat outside enjoying my coffee on the first sunny day in several days. It was hard to get going, but after two eggs and three pieces of bacon, I was finally ready to get out of here. Plus, the wind was now howling outside coming in from the west. It was shaking the WL and howling so bad, we are out of here.



We took a short three mile drive to the Calcite Mine Slot Canyon. If you are ever in the area, this is a must see. It was perfect for us today. We're below ground with no wind to bother us. This canyon is about a half mile or less and accessible by most people.

Here is what it looks like through my pictures.
Entrance






Close-up of the water washed walls.















Dominoes, anyone?











Hopefully, it's not my day!


I'm slow, so Yuma comes back to check on me.







Yuma loves racing through the slot!





It was nearly 5 o'clock when I got home and the wind was still howling.  It was almost time for the Cowboys/Buccaneers play-off game.  Of the games in the play-offs, based on my standings in our family pool, Dallas was the best team not already selected.  I'm rooting for Dallas and they are currently winning 24 - 0, even after 4 missed extra points.  Go Dallas!!  I better get dinner going.

Thanks for stopping by.

16 comments:

  1. Truly amazing pictures of the slot canyon. Just gorgeous wih so many colors. You picked the perfect day to go. It looks like your Cowboys are moving on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. The calcite gives the walls a pretty color. Those Cowboys did good. Finally beat Brady.

      Delete
  2. It was windy here too which is unusual. This area is pretty protected from the wind. I always wonder what Yuma is thinking. Congratulations to the Cowboys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elva. I'm not a Cowboys fan but I had to pick the best of what was left in the pool. Sad to see Brady have such a bad day.

      Delete
  3. That canyon reminds me of the canyons in Capitol Reef NP in Utah. Nice place for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish I could visit the Utah parks. Bet they're beautiful.

      Delete
  4. The poor kicker ... the harder he tried, the more he missed. Very cool slot canyon ... water will have it's way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He probably amazed himself. Good thing it wasn't close. I've always liked that canyon.

      Delete
  5. Love slot canyons. Always fun. Glad you enjoyed the day.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. It was fun for Yuma. He runs like wind thru the sand.

      Delete
  6. Nice way to find some shelter from the wind. The biggest tarantula I've ever seen was in that canyon. What an ugly game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad Yuma didn't run into one. I agree, it was not a good day for Tampa Bay.

      Delete
  7. Kelly and I have done some hiking in that area but I don't think we saw that slot canyon and it's not likely I would forget something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, it is marked on the park map. That's how I found it. It is pretty.

      Delete
  8. Some great photos today! Thanks! And I suspect you are pleased with the outcome of the game, though the poor kicker probably isn't. I think kickers are an odd lot.....would have to be. Concentration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tank you. Easy when there such beautiful surroundings. Something affected that poor kicker. Surprised, they didn't go for two after his second miss.

      Delete