Monday, January 2, 2017

Got Gas!

Monday, January 2, 2017

It got cold last night.  Down to around 38 degrees and in the MH it felt like an icebox.  Luckily, Yuma and I had a couple of sleeping bags on top of us, so we slept warmly.

Speaking of iceboxes, when the temperature got up in the 50’s around noon, Yuma and I made the trip up the road to the ACE Hardware store in search of a propane hose. 

1-IMG_0405

The gentleman in the store was very helpful and got me all setup with the a good rubber propane hose and several fittings.  My $10 estimate was actually $40 by the time it was over.

1-IMG_0406-001

While driving to the ACE Hardware, I pulled over and took this photo of the Tucson Mountain range North of Tucson.  I believe the one with snow on top is Wasson Peak.

1-IMG_0403-002

When we got back, Yuma sat on the comfy sofa while I grabbed my tools and  crawled under the MH to replace the hose.  It was a lot harder putting it in than it was taking it out.  By the time I was done, my whole body ached from the horrible position I was in under there.

Now the moment of truth.  I drove the MH just up to the corner to the service station and they put 12 gallons of propane in the tank.  I left it in the off position till I got back to my parking spot.  Then I turned the gas on and ran around to the other side of the MH and crawled under to see if I could hear or see a gas leak.

All was quiet.  I then went into the MH and turned on the burner on the stove and I got a flame.  Fantastic!  Then I went over to the icebox and turned it on to make it a fridge once again.  Waited for a few hours and checked the fridge and sure enough it was getting cold.

This is great!  I can make coffee in the morning!  Haven’t had any coffee for a week now and that is long enough.  I can make bacon and eggs in the morning, too.  I can bathe in warm water!  Life is good again!

When you are a boondocker like me, propane and charged batteries are King!   Now I have both and can move on with my travels.  Things are looking a lot better than they did a few days ago.

My neck and arms were so tired, I took a two hour nap this afternoon.  This evening we went to Burger King and brought home dinner because I was too tired to cook anything.  This winter vacation is getting to be too much work.

See you later.

6 comments:

  1. To check for leaks, get some soapy water and squirt on the fittings. It will show up in a hurry.
    Don in Okla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Don. I knew that at one time, but forgot. I will do that just in case the leak is too small to hear.

      Delete
  2. I'm jealous you got a 2 hour nap today! That sounds glorious! You deserved it Doug! Sounds like you had a most wonderful day! Fantastic work on the hose! Love you! Give Yuma some pets from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I feel much better today. Going to do some sightseeing today instead of working on the MH. Everything seems to be working okay for now. Have a great day.

      Delete
  3. Things are looking up! I hope that's the last time you play contortionist under the MH! Don't want those bones to get too achy. Beautiful picture of Wasson Peak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. My neck hurts the worst, but not too bad. Will get better once I stop getting under there. Going to relax today.

      Delete