Thursday, April 9, 2020

Fairbank Cemetery

Location:  The RV Park in the Pima County Fairgrounds in Tucson, Arizona

This morning I got up at 7 o'clock and had a huge breakfast.  Between us, we had 5 pieces of bacon and 3 eggs scrambled.  Another beautiful day with a high of 74 expected today.  Just perfect!  

Unfortunately, today is laundry day.  Got to get it done and today is the day.  Great day to go back and see the Fairbank Cemetery.  Nancy has great posts of our hike through the Fairbank area with lots of history included. 
Kissack Adventures  Be sure to check it out.

We left off yesterday at the turn towards the cemetery.  It was a winding walk up and around a large hill.  When we reached the top, it was immediately apparent the cemetery was in dire need of some loving care.

A cemetey in dire need of repair.

I will let you take a look around as we walked around the top of the hill and through the grave sites.

The ground is very rocky and hard so the bodies appear to be buried near the surface and covered in rocks.   




Apparently a family enclosed within this fence.  This was the only one fenced.  A nice view across the San Pedro river basin.


Some were enclosed with used bricks.

 Nancy made the comment that she would like to come back someday and fix the place up a little bit.  She had better bring an army to help or she won't make a dent. :))

Those are coins on the cross.

A little doll is the only thing left intact at this child's grave.

Can you see where the San Pedro River flows?  We are high above the San Pedro River basin.

This one plot appeared to be taken care of.


Mary Nelson McCullar, wife of A B McCullar who died in 1899

How did stonehenge get here?  Newly built it appears.  Still brown dirt on the rock on the right.



Me, Yuma and Nancy taking a photo op rest.  Great picture!

I just couldn't get the final part of the hike in without cutting back on pictures, so I'm going to leave the snake and caterpillars till tomorrow.  If you read Nancy's blog you will get her version of how things went down.  Check in tomorrow to find out if my version agrees with hers.

I've finished all my duties while here at the RV Park and can now drive around and enjoy this beautiful area.  Last night I drove to a Safeway store in the town of Vail about seven miles from here.  The very modern town is nestled in a small valley surrounded by hills and mountains.  No wonder Nancy enjoys living there!

See you later.

14 comments:

  1. It would take some time to fix up that cemetery. Good luck to Nancy, if she everdecides to give it a go. Interesting picture of where the river runs through. Wonderful picture of you two intrepid hikers! I'm glad to see you were able to get your laundry done. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dolly. It is interesting the way the green trees wind through the lowlands like the river. I'm glad the laundry is done too. Twice in four months is enough:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is certainly a beautiful area, When we ride through I love seeing the trees all green lining the banks of the San Pedro River. After reading Nancy's blog earlier not sure I would ever enjoy a walk that included those caterpillars. It is sad about the cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I finally gave up trying not to step on them there was so many 😅 Tonight i will have some beautiful pictures of the river.

      Delete
  4. Awesome pictures and such a beautiful area! The picture of you three is wonderful! Too bad the cemetery is such a mess, but I agree I think she will need a large group of people to make a dent. I do love looking at old cemeteries though. Between you and Nancy's blog that was quite a trip!! Breakfast sounds yummy for you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting hike and seeing it from two perspectives is nice. It was a very old and out of the way cemetery that has been neglected for many years.

      Delete
  5. Your pictures are fabulous Doug. The cemetery was the highlight of the trip. Maybe one of these days I'll go back and try to tidy it up a bit. I can't thank you enough for going with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for showing me the place. I would never have found it. That was the oldest and most disturbed cemetery I've ever seen.

      Delete
  6. On another note, that picture of your rig above is the prettiest I've seen. AND I watched Gold Rush last night ... first time I've watched a whole episode. After finding those pieces of gold, he said no!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for noticing Nancy. I guess you don't have to be in the boonies to see beautiful sunsets. Tonight is the new episode of GR. Give it a watch.

      Delete
  7. What a neat adventure for you two hikers to take on. I agree that Nancy will need an army to clean that cemetery up but what a wonderful thought. That is an awesome picture of the three of you!
    Glad you got the laundry done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun but a little on the long side. Wore me out:)) I don't think I want any part of cleaning that place up. Hot on top of the hill. Glad my laundry is done for the remainder of my trip:))

      Delete
  8. The old cemeteries make for an interesting walk in history. The crew working on the town may eventually do some restoration there as well. We're still under mandatory stay home orders, continue to share your desert adventures ... it's all we get for another couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jeff. Guess I'm lucky to be so close to secluded areas allowing me to roam freely. Take a lot of work to clean up that cemetery.

    ReplyDelete