Thursday, April 2, 2020

Special Visitor and a tour of the Empire Ranch Grounds

Location:  Las Cienegas National Conservation Area, Arizona

This morning I woke up early and just laid in bed while the sun warmed up the grasslands.  When I got up, it was only 7 o'clock.  Not a cloud in the sky.  Going to be another beautiful day.

I'm glad I got up early.  I had a feeling in my bones that I may have a visitor today and sure enough at 8 o'clock Nancy of Kissack Adventures sent me a message asking me if I was up yet.  I guess she knows I'm a late sleeper :)).  She said she would be by around 10:30 for a visit.  Asked if I needed anything and I asked it she would bring a quart of milk.

My horse neighbors were off on a ride again this morning around 9 o'clock this time.
So, I cleaned the floor, made my bed and put on my best dirty clothes.   Finished my breakfast and Yuma and I were open for visitors.   Sure enough, Nancy rolled up in her Jeep at 10:30.  No problem finding the place either.  And there was the quart of milk on her car seat. :))

Nancy has two dogs of her own, so she was a natural with Yuma.  And Yuma was on his best behavior too.  We soon sat down on the patio and talked about everything under the sun.  I had no idea what she has done in her life.  

Grew up on a cattle ranch, traveled in her RV all the way from Alaska to Maine.  She was a Harley rider and a scuba diver.  Nancy is a down to earth cowgirl.  I tried to make my life as an insurance man sound exciting,  but I don't think she bought it. :))

We sat outside on this beautiful morning and early afternoon watching horses and their riders,  large hawks flying by and Yuma chasing after them.  Listening to the wind blowing through the grass and the Ironwood trees.  Also, the bellow of a bull calling to the cows.  Before we knew it, it was 1:30 and time for Nancy to head back towards Tucson.
Nancy and her new friend Yuma.

We'll keep in touch in Blogland till we meet again.  I had a wonderful visit.  Maybe next year I can show her a little boondocking and she can show Dolly and I a little RV resort parking.  We could have the best of two worlds.

As we were walking to her Jeep, Nancy noticed the horse people had packed up and left while we were talking.  No more horses nearby for now. :((

After Nancy left, Yuma and I made a water run into Sonoita.  They had no kiosks for water, but the nice man in the propane store allowed me to use his outside spigot to get five gallons of drinking water.  I appreciated that.  I don't think Sonoita caters to outsiders much.

Now to yesterday and the Empire Ranch.  Yuma and I headed over there just after noon yesterday and there was not a soul there.  No one!  So I drove up to the ranch and just walked around taking pictures.  I'll let you go along with me on my tour of the outside.

There is a lot of information about the history of the Empire Ranch on the internet if you want to learn more.  The ranch had been in disrepair but it is slowly being renovated.  It has been a slow process and each year I see a little more progress.
The original homestead.
The first area I stopped at was the corral.  It is no longer used, so we will have to imagine the sounds of the cattle as they were processed through.  It was large and I'm sure lots of cattle were branded here and also loaded onto vehicles or wagons originally.






Small corral at the back of the house.

To the north by the Cienegas Creek is the new home.  Haven't been in that one.  Hope to though.


Rear of the home.  It is a work in process.

One of the barns.
Looking out of a dark room of a hay storage building.  No windows.


Feeding stalls within the corral behind the house.

 The side of the house had a drive in area I believe was used for deliveries to the house.  I'm standing in a back porch area of the house.  This is a sprawling house and you can easily get confused as to what is what.
I walked up to the kitchen door and tried turning the knob.  Darn, I've already got enough pictures for the day.  You'll just have to wait till tomorrow to find out if the door was locked or not.  :))

Had a wonderful day.  Thank you, Nancy for stopping by.

See you later.

17 comments:

  1. How wonderful of Nancy to come all that way for a visit. You two have a lot in common. Maybe not,insurance 😀, but scuba diving, Harley riding and RVing could keep you chatting for awhile. Those are interesting pictures of Empire Ranch. It looks like the reconstruciion is going slowly, but steadyily. Goodbye to all the beautiful horses. Love all the photos if the grasslands and trees.Cant wait to find out uf that kitchen door us unlocked. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dolly. Amazing that Nancy did the same things I liked in my younger days. Except for the horse riding. The Empire Ranch was a powerful place in its day. Lot of history in this ranch.

      Delete
  2. Doug I'm curious what insurance company you worked for. I believe both my cousin and aunt work(ed) for State Farm in Bloomington.
    How nice of Nancy to stop by to visit. I love the RV Family and how easy it is to meet someone new where we all share the same way of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I enjoyed meeting Nancy after such a long time talking through comments. I worked for State Farm for 38 years. My whole career.

      Delete
    2. Did you know Georgia Riley? Her daughter's name is Beth (Snow) Vincent.

      Delete
  3. It was great that Nancy stopped by for a visit and to pick up your milk. She would also have loved watching the horse riders, being the cowgirl that she is.
    The empire Ranchlooks interesting for sure. Thank you for the tour. I'll tune in tomorrow for Part 2 of the cliff hanger. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. Really enjoyed Nancy's visit. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed sitting on the patio talking. I know you can't wait for the conclusion of the Empire Ranch saga:))

      Delete
  4. How nice was that having Nancy visit! Interesting life she's lead for sure and I'm thinking you too! The Ranch pictures are gorgeous! Love the barn and windmill! I'm sure hoping the kitchen was open!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. Was a beautiful day and Nancy's visit made it better. Tonight is the conclusion of the Empire Ranch story.

      Delete
  5. I had a great time, but between the wind and sun, got a nice little sunburn. LOL It's beautiful country out there. I've been to the ranch many times, but did not know about the places to park your RV. I'm definitely taking mine there next year for a couple of weeks. Maybe I can talk those people into letting me ride their horses. The house to the North has always been completely locked up ... no entry. I'll be interested to know if they opened it up. Thanks for the great visit Doug!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy for taking the time to come down. Yes, there is a lot of easily accessible RV sites at the ranch you can enjoy. I kinda thought the new house was not open. Sure it doesn't have the historical value as the old ranch house. Looking forward to our next visit 😀

      Delete
  6. The pictures plus the words say two lovely days. How nice to have Nancy ride down for a visit and bring milk.
    We did an outside walking tour of the Empire Ranch a couple of years ago, no one was around that day either maybe because it was Easter, I can see we need to do it again. At first we were not sure about parking out there but after visiting Deb and Riley when they were out there and now reading your blog I think that spot is in our future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many visitors come here i guess. You would have no problems boondocks getting here. Just have to drive slowly. Beautiful and quiet here.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful visit, I'm certain you folks had a great time. Always nice to meet like minded people.
    You know there is a water dispenser in Huachuca City at the car wash, if you are heading in that direction at any time.
    Glad you are enjoying the Ranch, it's always an interesting place. Stay healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Deb. I think when I leave here, I will stay a few days at the RV park you and Riley stayed. Then start the trek home .

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Empire Ranch is indeed an interesting place. We found it all completely open a few years ago and I took well over a hundred photos which I have never got around to publishing yet. I recognized all the places in your great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Al. It is a beautiful place and nice to have it all to myself.

    ReplyDelete