Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Fairbank Ghost Town and Cemetery

Location:  The RV Park at the Pima County Fairgrounds, Tucson, Arizona

Last night I stepped out to take Yuma to the Dog Park and was struck by how beautiful the sky looked with the full moon.  Ran back into the WL and grabbed my camera.

Today, I woke up at 6:30 and took Yuma over to the Dog Park and we had a quick breakfast and I had a coffee.  I was supposed to be working on septic systems, but I lucked out.

Nancy (Kissack Adventures) texted me yesterday and wanted to know if I was interested in visiting a ghost town and cemetery over by Tombstone, Arizona.  I debated:  Work on stinking sewer pipe or take a scenic drive to a ghost town and cemetery.  Not a hard decision.  Nope.  Not at all.

At 9 o'clock on the dot Nancy stopped by and because Yuma leaves so much hair and of course, social distancing, Yuma and I followed her in our Jeep.

Our route took us back down hwy 83 past the Empire Ranch where we turned left on Hwy 82 in Sonoita.  Followed 82 for 35 miles to within 7 miles of Tombstone, Arizona.

Down hwy 83 through the mountains towards Sonoita.

Heading east on hwy 82.  Mustang Mountains dead ahead.

Whetstone Mountains dead ahead.

 We went through a valley between the two mountain ranges to the town of Whetstone, Arizona.  Crossed over hwy 90 and continued on hwy 82 towards Tombstone for about 10 miles.

Around 10:30 we turned into a little parking area  and we were there.  Just over the bridge of the San Pedro River.  We have arrived at the Fairbank Historic Townsite.  Nancy has been here before but has never walked to the cemetery, so this was a new adventure for both of us.
Unfortunately, I'm going to end this blog here tonight.  I'm afraid Nancy wore poor Yuma and I out from the hike, so I'll cover more of the adventure with you tomorrow.

Ahhh!

I promise I will get right on the septic pipe tomorrow and give you a detailed update of my success or failure on that stinky task!

See you later.

12 comments:

  1. It was wonderful of Nancy to guide you some place new. It looks like you and Yuma didnt waste any time getting into relaxing mode. Hope you can solve your sewer pipe problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. Yes, Yuma and I were tired after our hike but we had a great time.

      Delete
  2. always nice to have a local guide, looks like Nancy wore out Yuma and your your feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she did. We had a fun day though. Sometimes I just have to push a little more than others.

      Delete
  3. Talk about worn out!! How could that little walk have turned into 5-6 miles!! I think I was more tired than Yuma ... but it was worth seeing the cemetery and inside that building! How could we be so lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for inviting us Nancy. It was fun and Yuma and I needed to push ourselves a little. Make us stronger if it doesn't kill us:))

      Delete
  4. Ok, Nancy had us built up for pictures of your hike and all we get is your feet in a bucket? hahaha Just teasing! Yuma looks pretty pooped! I'm glad you two got to explore together, you are of like mind that is for sure! Bill and I have been to Fairbank but didn't get into it too much so looking forward to the cemetery hike.
    Love the sunset pictures! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. The cemetery was in bad shape unfortunately. It was high on a hill but didn't look like Boot Hill:)) I'll have more tonight if I don't drown in the rush from my black tank.:))

      Delete
  5. The sunset and the moon pictures are incredible!! Can't wait to hear about the trip. Glad you got out with Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. We had fun and it was an adventure for sure. Snakes and caterpillars underfoot:))

      Delete
  6. Good luck with that septic tank tomorrow. Hope it all goes well!
    I'll look forward to details of your hike, snakes and caterpillars sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Cheri. Missed my deadline but tonight for sure. Septic went well.

    ReplyDelete