Thursday, January 16, 2020

Another Slot Canyon near Borrego Springs, California

Truckhaven BLM near Salton City, California

Starting to wake up earlier now that I have adjusted to California time.  7 o'clock again, but Yuma and I laid around being lazy for about an hour.  Thought it was going to be cloudy, but the clouds broke up quickly and there was all sunshine when we got out of bed.

Took a walk around our property and Yuma climbed the hill near our MH to take a better look around the countryside.  Unfortunately, this early in the morning I'm not ready to do a climb like that.  Maybe not all day. :))

Just the usual with cereal this morning.  Didn't have any real special plans for the day.  For sure not an all day event like a couple of days ago.  We are all still feeling the affects of that.

Time seems to go so quickly now.  I have to hurry to do nothing nowadays.  Stopped over and talked with Deb and Riley to see if they wanted another of my adventures, but sadly they declined.   

Around 2 o'clock I decided to take a quick trip toward Borrego Springs on S22 to a slot canyon I have visited before, but can't remember the details.  I need a refresher.  It is only about ten miles from here and from my recollection, a fairly easy hike into and back out.  I got part of it right.  It was about ten miles from here but it was not easy to hike!  :((
Bad lands with the Santa Rosa Mountains as a backdrop.

Looking down into the wash towards the East.  Salton Sea in the background.

The steep road I take to get down to the wash.

In the wash now heading to the entrance to the slot canyon.
 
It was only about a half mile drive in the wash till I saw a sign telling me to walk from this point.  At his time I'm not going to say much other than I was amazed at how beautiful this slot canyon is.  It is near a calcite mine and I think the bluish colors I see are residue washed down the canyon over many years.

The slot is only about a half mile long and you return the same route.  I had so many beautiful pictures I couldn't choose ones to leave out so I didn't.  That means I will have to do this over two or three posts.

If you don't like beautiful canyons you can stop now and go on with your day.  To me it was so beautiful I couldn't get my photographer to quit taking pictures.
First thing I saw when entering was a large arch.

Going into wonderland.

This is what I see on the other side.

Looking back.



Who is that nicely dressed man?






 This is enough for now.
 We'll look at more tomorrow.  See you later.

15 comments:

  1. What an amazing and beautiful canyon! So many shades of blue. Truly a gorgeous place. I'm sure Deb and Riley were sorry they didn't join you.Looking forward to more photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. There will be another time for Deb and Riley. Interesting color to the canyon and I'm sure the calcite mine had something to do with it.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing canyon. Wonderful photos. It would have been nice to go along and we appreciate the offer. Looking forward to more photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. It was a lot more physical and strenuous than I led you to believe. You made the right decision.

      Delete
  3. Those canyons are amazing. Can you just imagine cowboys and bad guys riding their horses around that country? Thanks for the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Nancy. Borrego Springs area has a lot of history.

      Delete
  4. Looks like Yuma got ahold of your camera again.! He got some great shots of you roaming around in the beautiful slot canyons. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. Poor Yuma stayed home. For some reason they don't allow dogs on trails in this park. :((

      Delete
  5. The canyons are awesome! Thank you for touring that area for us. :)
    Love the first picture. Yuma the Conqueror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. Yuma takes an impressive picture. The canyon was a little tougher than I remembered. Quite a bit of climbing and tight places.

      Delete
  6. The Travel Channel was out there filming for an episode that will include the Borrego Sand Man. He was last seen in the Bad Lands.
    Great pictures of the slot canyon. There are 'wind caves' and 'elephant trees' near by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. I haven't seen him. I wonder if I may have been mistaken for him😀

      Delete
  7. Beautiful slot canyon the colors are wonderful; looking forward to the rest of your pictures. Nice picture of Yuma up the hill I will bet he had a good view up there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Deb. Hope you two are enjoying the Quartzsite activities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We haven't been to that slot canyon but have heard about it. I wonder if you have been to the other slot canyon south of Borrego Springs between the Texas Dip and Ocotillo Wells. It's a dandy too and I'll maybe include our hike there in my 'Archive Post' feature tomorrow. Some great rock formations in that one you were in.

    ReplyDelete