Sunday, January 26, 2020

Got the call!

Location:  Dome Rock Road near Quartzsite, Arizona

For some reason, I slept soundly last night.  The road noise was not a bother.  Woke up after 8 o'clock and just took it easy eating breakfast and having my coffee.  It is going to be another gorgeous day.  Don't you just hate these broken weather records.  Same every day.

Around 11 o'clock while I was on my last cup of coffee I heard a strange noise.  It was my phone.  It was ringing.  Picked it up and Kenny was on the other end saying "Good morning, Doug".  Said they got the two new batteries in and it was running like a champ and ready for a test drive.

Didn't want to act too excited, I told him I would be there in about an hour.  It was noon when I drove into the RV Lifestyles parking lot.

 Only in the office a few minutes before Stewart, one of the salesman was ready to take me on my first drive.  Evidently, Kenny can't drive the big rigs for some reason.  I didn't ask why.
Stewart drove the White Lion out of the parking lot and down the road a piece to where there was a large lot and pulled over.  I think they didn't want to take a chance that I may have a big wipe out in their parking lot and take out some of the really expensive motorhomes. :))


Now don't I look like I belong there?  We only drove maybe five miles, but I have to say it handled beautifully.  I didn't feel a bit of intimidation or hesitation.  It actually has a better turning radius than my MH.  In the picture above, I think I gave away how much I enjoyed driving this big rig.

I loved the big air swoosh sound it gave when I put the air brake on and shut her down.  Darn, I forgot to blow the air horn, but will if there is a next time.

Kenny was waiting when we got back to see what I thought.  Told him, lets go inside to his office and do some wheeling and dealing.
We had an enjoyable chat to loosen up.  They were serving free hotdogs in the lobby, so I went out and got me two and then I was ready to make a bid.  This motorhome is on consignment so Kenny is really only the middleman.  

I made an offer and he said he would call when he got an acceptance or counter offer.  Or, if he just tells me where I can stick my offer.  This all took a little over an hour and I was on my way.

Yuma had stayed home and as usual he was ecstatic when I opened the MH door.  Texted Dolly to let her know where we stood and then did a little house cleaning.  

Around 2:30 I headed over to the social society for Happy Hour.  I'm getting more comfortable doing this thing and starting to relax and let my hair down.  And I'm getting a lot of hair to let down.  They are such a nice group of RV people.
Great group and fantastic scenery.
Craig, a member of the HH group brought out his battery powered plane and gave us a grand air show.  He is an excellent pilot with 16 years of experience.  It was beautiful to watch.  Lots of pictures but I cut it down to a few.
Keith and his beautiful red plane.
It was very quiet and just beautiful to watch it go through its paces.  Keith really know his stuff.
Ready for takeoff.

Takeoff!
Flying overhead.
We were having such an enjoyable time, it was nearly six o'clock before we parted for the evening.  Did I ever mention it was a gorgeous day.  Even as the sun was setting, it was still comfortable.
Kept my phone nearby the whole afternoon and guess what?  No phone call from Kenny.  Still giving me that great service!  Maybe tomorrow and maybe not.  With Kenny you just have to go with the flow.

Whatever way this goes, I am enjoying the experience and learning too.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.  See you later.
Fire in the mountains!  What a beautiful ending to the day.

24 comments:

  1. Good luck with Kenny. You never know what tomorrow will bring. 😀 A great happy hour and air show to end the day. Beautiful picture of the red sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. I must say today was just a great day all the way around. I feel good and whatever happens I'm ready.

      Delete
  2. We were happy you can join us for happy hours! Yuma was very good and so were you! haha
    You've got one name wrong. Keith not Craig. But he says he answers to many things. :)
    He is a very talented flyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, in case I didn't express it today at H.H. I'm very excited for you with this new 'possible' endeavour. :)

      Delete
    2. Yuma was really on his best behavior today. I will correct Keith's name pronto. Don't know why I changed his name.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Patsy. I know you are wishing the best for me on this and I appreciate it. Give you and Bill a tour someday, if it is to be.

      Delete
  3. The white lion looks a lot bigger than you current RV. What's it like to drive in traffic? It'd be nice to have the extra space when camped.
    That's one of the better sunsets, great way to end your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. It is huge compared to my MH. I had to pull the Jeep to the side of the road to get that shot. It was beautiful to see live. The picture doesn't capture the whole scene.

      Delete
  4. Wishing you the best on the White Lion Deal.
    There's plenty of Advantages to a big 40 foot Diesel Pusher but there are also a few disadvantages to it as well.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick. I'm sure the costs of ownership will go up and trying to maneuver through gas stations and Walmart with 55 feet of MH and Jeep will be daunting. I'm sure I'm in for a few suprises. But I'm ready.

      Delete
  5. Oh I'm hoping they accept your offer!! You will love the stop-turn-off-the-engine and hit the bed aspects. As for fueling up, I always go to the trucks stops. SO much easier in and out, just remember you have to tell them you have an RV or you will pay extra trucker taxes in Arizona. As to towing, you won't even know it's there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips. Like your get'er done attitude.

      Delete
  6. Wishing you luck, that is such a beautiful motorhome! Will you consign yours with them? Nice that you are more comfortable with Happy Hour, I'm sure they are thrilled to have you! Sure wish we could have stayed! Interesting what Nancy said about trucker taxes. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you two. I've done my part now it's wait for the phone to ring time again.

      Delete
  7. Glad you got your test drive ! You definitely look like you belong behind the wheel. Hope they accept your offer - very exciting. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. Hope I have good news in the next post.

      Delete
  8. Look at you behind the wheel of a big rig. Looks good on you. That last photo....WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elva. Shoulda had my hat on. I stopped on the roadside to get that last photo. Really looked great live.

      Delete
  9. With air brakes some states require a type of CDL driver's license or endorsement. Check that out for the states you drive through. I remember Dizzy Dick had to take a driver's test for his diesel pusher with air brakes in Texas. Luckily his son had the proper license to drive the rig.to the test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Paula. I did check and Illinois is very strict and will require me to get a CDL and air brake certificate. :((

      Delete
  10. A happy face on that man behind the wheel. Hope it works out for you which ever it goes. Nice that you can visit the folks for happy hour. Looks like Yuma was almost patient. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. It was fun. Glad I did it. I was very impressed with the power and speed of that rig. It's nice to have friends to visit to help keep my mind off the wheeling and dealing and delays that are happening. Yuma was vey good for once. :))

      Delete
  11. We are on our four motorhome and buying one is always less than enjoyable, hope this works out for you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This is my second and a big jump in size for me. Looking forward to the move, but dread the work iit entails. Enjoy Florida.

      Delete