Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Move to Palm Canyon in the Kofa Mountains

 Another day, another move.  But before we could move we needed to stock up on food.  Anxious to go, I was up at 8:30 and after taking Yuma for his walk, we had a full breakfast and at 11 o'clock I headed in to the Walmart store with a list of items from Nick, Yuma and me.

It was hard.  But two hours later and $200 lighter I headed back to the VFW.

We quickly loaded everything into the White Lion and put everything up and we were on our way to Palm Canyon.

We had to stop at the U.S. Army Yuma Proving Ground before we left the area.


Then we headed down the road for about a mile and stopped to view the old war tanks and big guns no longer in use.









Then off we went north on hwy 95 towards Palm Canyon road about 20 miles south of Quartzsite.

Went by the blimp keeping an eye out for unauthorized people walking through the desert in this area.   It's tethered to the ground and no one is onboard.  Just surveillance equipment.
Had to take a picture of Stone Cabin on hwy 95 just north of our destination.
About 10 years ago, Dolly and I were at the Stone Cabin in that fallen down covered patio in the back having burgers and a Coke with Fergie in tow.  A gentleman was trying to make a business here even though there is no water.  It all had to be trucked in.  The next year, the place was closed.  Not a good location, I guess.

Made it to our destination at 4:30 and the very first site we attempted to pull into gave us problems.  I had Nick outside watching to make sure we didn't scrape bottom on the mound of dirt alongside the road.

It was close so I decided to back up and take another angle.  Backing up was a mistake.  Nick was looking at the underside and I didn't turn sharp enough on backing up and ran into the deep ditch on the other side of the road. 😱  When will I ever learn how long this RV is?

Couldn't move and I was blocking Palm Canyon Road.  Luckily, the couple behind us had a 3/4 ton pickup loaded with stuff and he had straps.  I hooked the strap to the frame and he gave me a tug and we were out of their in a flash.  So thankful there are helpful boondockers always willing to give a helping hand. 😀

Went on down the road looking for a easier place to pull in.  Ended up at the pipeline road in a site I have been in before.  Finally, we were in our site and parked for a week or so.

First thing we did was to put up our antenna pole and I had bought the necessary hooks to properly place our flag on the pole so I can raise and lower it easily.

We watched the sunset and then had dinner and I'm finishing this blog.  Downloading pictures is slow so it is already 10 o'clock and time to call it a night.




Thanks for stopping by.

20 comments:

  1. I'm glad you finally made to a safe spot in Palm Canyon. You it have a beautiful view there. I remember the Stone Cabin well. Too bad he couldn't make a go of it, but it is out in the middle of nowhere. So good of those folks to give you a hand. Amazing that you still insist on backing up in places without looking. Yuma Proving grounds is an interesting place. Beautiful sunset on the mountain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. I'll learn soon I hopes. Getting expensive. Nick is experiencing alot 😀

      Delete
  2. We were just discussing that Doug. A guy pulled off the road here and got stuck. Bill said his FORD could pull it out, but I said my 4 WhDr CHEVY could do better! Glad you got help and all ended well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to get TV stations there??? NFL Saturday and Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful skies you have there! Great you got what you needed to take the flag down when you need too. Love the sunset pics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. Slowly things are coming together.

      Delete
  5. The Ford/Dodge/Chevy 4 wheel drive trucks would have been fighting over who would pull you out. Actually the Jeep would have done a great job?? Glad it all ended well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorne. Me too. Third time was the charm 😄

      Delete
  6. do you carry tow straps? looks like a tug from the Jeep might have been sufficient ... this time :)
    Beautiful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and getting stuck seem to go hand in hand! haha
    Glad you are settled in a nice place, your pictures are beautiful!
    My sister and her hubby went to that Stone Cabin the year before we came down our first time. We were going to stop for 'the best burgers' but they were closed. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Took a while to upload all those pictures. Not a hand I want have for sure. I guess the owner couldn't get enough customers in the door to make it.

      Delete
  8. I love Lorne's comment. Truth! Beautiful sunset. Elva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elva. Glad there are good Samaritans out in the desert.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful sunset pictures! Glad you finally got settled into your new spot without too much trouble! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I'm hoping to stay awhile with no more problems.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for stopping by. I'm sure there will be something new. Life is an adventure in the Arizona desert. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those little desert mishaps are always so discouraging. The last time we were in Borrego Springs I tore one of the almost new long tail pipes off our Class A southeast of the Texas Dip. I was so mad at myself I never even blogged about it. The Kofa Mountains are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a pretty area. I'm such a blabber fingers I can't help but write about it. Have had more mishaps this year for some reason. But I'm learning from them.

      Delete