Monday, January 29, 2024

Apache Trail

 This morning, I was again up by 8 o'clock and we had a quick breakfast.  It is a beautiful day and I have nothing planned.  Yuma and I decided to head up the Apache Trail about 17 miles till it is blocked for further traffic.

A number of years ago now there was a wash-out of the road above Tortilla Flat and it has been forever getting it fixed.  I saw a recent article online they will open it to high wheel vehicles and 4-wheel drives sometime soon, but not today.

It was so nice to get out and do a little sight-seeing.  I took lots of pictures, so be ready:

Superstition Mountain

Four Peaks

Canyon Lake

Canyon Lake

Four Peaks over Canyon Lake

Tortilla Flat - Now a tourist attraction

Dolly the tourist boat on Canyon Lake

We headed back down the trail and arrived in AJ (Apache Junction) at about 4 o'clock.  As I was driving down Main Street, I smelled something funny, and my steering was acting up.  

When I stopped at the first stoplight, I could see the problem.  The right front tire was pouring smoke.  I pulled over and saw there was no fire, but I must have a stuck brake caliper causing the brake to overheat.

Only a few miles to Kay, so I limped along till I got there.  Immediately called the Brake First shop where I had the whole front-end replaced last year when I was here.  Hopefully, a warranty covers the work.

As I always do, I forgot to pull a pork chop from the freezer for dinner.  When I told Kay, she was kind enough to invite me over for some rotisserie chicken, with side dishes.  Poor me!😂

Thanks for stopping by.

11 comments:

  1. It's good to hear you finally got out to see some of the countryside. Great pictures along the Apache Trail. Good to know it was nothing more serious with the jeep. I hope it runs without further problems. Luckily, Kay takes pity on you and doesn't let you starve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s just around the next corner…… do you remember? Lol.
    I’m glad you had a chance to see some of the trail.
    Hopefully the Jeep is a quick, easy and inexpensive fix.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures as always. Hope the Brakes are covered by warranty.
    Better watch out or Kay might start charging you room and board. LOL.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She may. I'm a moocher. I'm hoping the brakes are covered still. Should be.

      Delete
  4. Na… he feeds that little black dog that takes up the corner of his camp rug and then the big black dog goes in and helps him to Yumas food while Yuma is hovering at Doug’s hip just in case someone comes too close to Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a war with that black dog, Buddy. He is sneaky. Yuma and I both have to guard the dogfood.

      Delete
  5. Didn't you mention before the steering was acting up? Hope it's nothing major. Good luck with the repair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures Dad! Good thing you weren't far from home when your brakes were sticking! Nice to get out and do some sight seeing! Enjoy the nice weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful area. I've never heard of Canyon Lake or 4 Peaks.

    ReplyDelete