Tuesday, January 30, 2024

The White Lion ROARS once more

This morning promises to be another hot day in the low 80s.  It was nice to sleep with the windows open and a slight cool breeze.  

Yuma and I took the Jeep down to Brakes Plus at 8 o'clock and came home for breakfast. 

Yuma and Buddy exhausted after chasing each other around the yard.
Not sure what is going to happen today.  Dean is supposed to be here this afternoon and I'll show him what I have done and seek his advice.  

Dean came by around 2:30 and I showed him that I got the round cylinder off the part but couldn't get an extended socket to meet the nut because of interference with an oil or fuel line.

He took one look at it and said a closed- end 1 1/8th wrench would slip right on it.  Sure enough, it did, and I had it off in minutes.  All those tools I bought and all I needed was a hammer and a wrench.

I took the brass cylinder off the new one and using the hammer, tapped it past the line.  Using the wrench, tightened the nut, plugged in the electrical line and it was ready to start, I hope.

Dean and I tried starting it, but it just wouldn't catch, and the batteries couldn't go for very long.  Dean suggested we squirt just a tad of ether in the air intake and give it a boost.

Dean and I looking for the air intake.

He squirted and I pushed the Engine Start button inside the back panel near the engine and VOILA!  The White Lion came to life!  I was shocked to say the least.

I appreciate Dean's help and advice and Kay's "Johnny on the spot" video.  It was a group effort.  I can't believe after buying all those tools and wasted time, all I needed was hammer and a wrench.

I'm going to stop here and hopefully the amazing video will play.  I'll cover our discussion about the white smoke in tomorrow's post.

Thanks to everyone that kept the faith and boosting my morale.  Thanks for stopping by.

25 comments:

  1. I knew to get into position because I knew it was going to start, and the smile on your face would tell the story! It warmed my heart to see your smile, almost brought tears to my eyes. I’m so glad Dean and you got it roaring again. Boondocking on the horizon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hospitality this past two winters. It was a shock and I'm so glad you caught it. Possibilities have opened up, that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. YAY!!!!! Great video - with so much angst released in a cloud of smoke!
    Wishing the WL would feel so much better it would cough it all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping so too. Got some injectors cleaner. Hope it helps.

      Delete
  3. Yes, great video! Now to see whatcha gonna do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't know, but my horizons are much broader now.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! That is awesome! I'm super happy for you! The video was spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 🎉 Congratulations on getting that beast started! That's very exciting! Hopefully, it will run like a champ. Those expensive tools turned out to not be much help in the end. Congrats, again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dolly. At least I didn't spend $1600 this time.

      Delete
  6. Glad you got the WL running. The white smoke is not uncommon when Diesels have been left sitting for periods of time.
    Maybe you could get a refund on those tools.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Doug, happy to hear that you got the WL started.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome persistence. Finally the WL is making a noise ... :)

    ReplyDelete