Sunday, February 8, 2015

Yucca Valley, California

Sunday, February 8, 2015

After a couple cups of coffee this morning, Yuma and I finished packing and headed down to the Hole in the Wall campground to dump and take on water.  This was at 8:30 and by 9:15, we were on the road.  Not sure where, but someplace that has a Walmart and a Verizon store.

image

Time to say goodbye to this beautiful country.

imageimage

One last goodbye to Al, Kelly and Pheebs as we roll by.  They are already out on another wonderful adventure this morning.   We said our goodbyes last night.

image

I turned onto Essex Road from Black Canyon Road and hooked onto the I-40 going west.  My plans are to see what is in Twentynine Palms,  California.  Back to I-40 and civilization again. 

image

Old Route 66 to the ghost town of Amboy, California was at the Kelbaker Road exit, 20 miles west the Essex Road exit.  I had heard this was a scenic drive down to Amboy where I would then turn left onto Amboy Road to Twentynine Palms.  The other direction would take me back into the preserve.

  imageimage

As I head down Kelbaker Road towards Route 66, I can see this is going to be a beautiful ride into the Mojave Desert and up into mountains.

image

As I drive down old Route 66, I can’t help think that Dad, Mom, me and my older brother Bobbie traveled this road back in 1945.  I was born in San Bernadino in 1945 and we moved back east soon after I was born.  Route 66 was the only road cross country at the time.

imageimage

Here I am eating a brunch along Route 66.

image

Photos of the ghost town, Amboy, California.

imageimageimageimageimage

From there I continued through the Mojave Desert, I could see the Bristol Mountain range to my east.  Looked like a lot of mining south of Amboy in the desert.

 imageimageimage

Leaving the desert through a pass taxed my poor motor home and the 7% grade coming down the other side to Coachella Valley in the Mojave Desert taxed my brakes, but made it with no problem.imageimage

When I entered Twentynine Palms I could immediately tell there was a large military presence.  The Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center makes its home here. 

image

Loaded the motorhome and jeep with gas at $2.40 a gallon which I didn’t think was bad.  No Walmart or Verizon here though.  Asked a young Marine where the nearest Walmart was and he said to follow highway 62 for 20 miles to Yucca Valley.   And that is where I am tonight.  Hopefully, I have a new phone by noon tomorrow. 

image

San Gorgonio Mountain with an elevation of 11,499 feet is  due west of the Yucca Valley off in the distance.  Has snow on top.  It is in the San Bernadino Mountain Range.

imageimage

See you later.

8 comments:

  1. Sounded like a good travel day. Best of luck at Verizon Monday. Pheebs says 'Arf Arf' to Yuma:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for shout out. We had a very relaxing , slow driving day with plenty of stops.

      Delete
  2. Quite a contrast camping at Walmart compared to where you've been. Best of luck with the new phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hopefully I will have a new one by noon. I will miss the quiet desert tonight for sure. Got a lot of shopping done which is good. I sure didn't need to buy those 10 boxes of Girl Scout cookies though.

      Delete
  3. Doug, we were just up in Joshua Tree yesterday. Wasn't it a beautiful day for driving? I do hope you get your new phone quickly.
    Cheryl Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Cheryl Ann. It was a beautiful day yesterday. It was nice to be able to drive along slowly and looking at the beauty around me. I am hoping all goes well, and I will go back to Joshua Tree where you went and go through the park from there. I really want to slowly drive through looking for a place to stay for a week. That way I can get the jeep unhooked and explore the area.

      You mentioned the park is crowded. Maybe find a place during the week. I will read your blog for ideas this week.

      Delete
  4. The photos and description of the preserve and your trip are very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel. I'm afraid the Preserve has spoiled me. I am now on BLM land and it is quite dreary compared to the Preserve, but it is warm and quiet here. More than I can say about my hometown of Bloomington, IL So, I'm not complaining.

      Delete