Thursday, February 5, 2015

Rings Loop Trail

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Warmed up quickly this morning.  Knew I had to do my hiking early today.  At leimageast before noon anyway.   There is my baby waiting on the couch while I read my mail and do my computer work at the dinner table.  He is so sweet.  I was lucky to get such a perfect dog. 

Our poodle, Fergie is going to have to compete for my affection, I believe.  Wonder how it is going to work out, having two demanding dogs.

Yesterday, Kelly mentioned that I could take my trash up to the Hole in the Wall Campground to dispose of, so that was what I did this morning.

There is a trail near the Visitors Center named Rings Loop Trail.  It is about a mile around the rock formation behind the visitor center and then up a narrow ravine to the top and then a short walk back around to the visitor center. 

Took a few photos as we walked around the backside of the rock formation.  The small dilapidated house was west across the canyon from the rock formation.

imageimage

The entrance to the ravine is ahead in the photo to the right below.

imageimage

Now we are turning the corner at the entrance and looking up where we are going to try and climb.  I’m not certain if Yuma can hold on to rings or not, but we will see.

imageimage

These two photos are looking back out toward the valley as we walked over and around rocks to get through the lower portion. 

imageimage

On the left are the first set of rings to help us up the ravine.  They go almost straight up, but Yuma managed to climb the rings to the top.  Some brave dog.

The right photo is the second set of rings.  There are rocks and indentions in the wall so Yuma was able to climb to the top without the aid of the rings. 

imageimage

Now it is just a scramble over rocks to the top.

imageimage

 This is what it looks like as we exit the ravine.  The rock formation continues much higher.  It is very porous with lots of holes caused by gases exploding when the rock formation was formed many centuries ago.

image

Guess what Yuma and I did for the remainder of this beautiful day when we weren’t being bothered by the critters running around the camp.

imageimageimage

See you later.

10 comments:

  1. Ring Loop Trail was very interesting. I'd never seen, or heard, of using rings to scale canyons. Those last two photos look very familiar. I guess little critters are everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rings were a nice touch. I'm sure the young folks could pull and claw their way up, but not me and Yuma. Yes, those critters are everywhere and Yuma would love to chase one.

      Delete
  2. just got our internet back Fri a.m. not sure where that darn signal went :) that's impressive that Yuma did that ravine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have gotten a photo of Yuma struggling to pull himself up that first set of rings. He wouldn't go first but he wasn't going to be left behind when I went up. But I was having enough troubles of my own.

      My signal works most of the time but it is very slow bringing up pages and many times it says can't connect, so I know it goes in and out.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos. I think you both deserved the nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. It was a short climb thank goodness but we both enjoyed the adventure nonetheless. This being my second winter and having no plans, it has been nice to learn to just relax instead of go, go, go all the time.

      Delete
  4. I'm very impressed Yuma was able to climb with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I asked the ranger at the visitor center if a dog could make it up and he said I would have to carry him. I don't think I could have done that. Yuma actually used the rings to pull himself up. Very determined not to be left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't beleive Yuma got up those rings! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete