Saturday, February 28, 2015

Font’s Point

Friday, February 27, 2015

image

All day the Santa Ana winds have been coming down the mountain slopes into the Borrego Springs valley from the west.  As the day progresses, the wind gusts keep getting stronger.  It is quiet for awhile and then a big burst of wind will slam against the motorhome.  I feel like a sailboat on the open seas rocking back and forth.

The weather forecast calls for a wind advisory for tonight through Sunday morning.  I had hoped to be out of here before the winds came, but I guess I didn’t make it. 

I think if I can just get to the Salton Sea the winds should be much less.  Will be a long 20 miles tomorrow going east on S22.  They are calling for gusts over 50 mph which could make driving a motorhome hazardous.  Will have to play it by ear in the morning. 

Around noon, I decided Yuma and I would make a quick run about seven miles to Font’s Point.  Being windy, I am sure I will not get the view I would like, but at least I will have an idea of what it looks like.  I believe the link above will provide a much nicer view.  It has a video.

Drove three miles east on S22 and turned right at a wash that had a sign pointing to Font’s Point.

image

As you can see from the wash it is quite sandy and lots of wash board to make the drive slow and bumpy.  But we weren’t in a hurry.  I am quite used to these kinds of roads.

image

As I was driving my jeep in 4-wheel drive up this very sandy wash, I turned a corner and was shocked to see a huge 40 foot American Dream diesel motorhome.  This road has signs at the entrance saying it is very sandy and do not drive off the roadway.  But here it was heading out into the sand.  I guess he was trying to turn around and got bogged down.

I stopped and talked to the wife.  There was actually another motorhome with this one, but it was a smaller one and it had made the turn okay, but when this one tried to go through his tracks, he bogged down.

Two motorhomes and two jeeps.  One of the jeeps had a rope attached and was trying to help pull it out.  Luckily, they were from Indio, California which is only about 50 miles north of here, so they are in familiar surroundings.  And they are young people in there 30’s so they can handle the digging and anxiety involved in this endeavor.  I couldn’t really help, but did tell them that if they got out, there are many boondocking spots about three miles from them. 

Said my goodbyes and went on up to the point.

imageimage

I must say I was impressed with the view at the point even with all the sand in the air.  It is impressive.  All that climbing I did yesterday for a view and all I had to do was drive up here and look over the edge of the cliff.  And it was a cliff. 

I was very frightened of the drop-off and would not let Yuma even get close to the edge.  No fence or anything to keep you back.  Just common sense and fear.  See what I mean?

imageimageimageimage

The point looks out over the desert and the Badlands around it.  They don’t call these Badlands for nothing.  Nothing can go through those canyons and ravines.  To me, they are just beautiful.

imageimageimageimageimage

The worst of the sand was when looking west toward Borrego Springs in the valley.

image

This is a photo looking to the north over Clark Dry Lake bed.  I took photos of it yesterday on my mountain climb.  Today there is a lot of sand in the air giving it a hazy look.

image

Didn’t stay long.  The wind was fierce at the point and I was eating sand every time I opened my mouth.

We came back to camp and soon after, my new neighbors invited me and Yuma over for a chat.  They are from Ontario and have been traveling to the southwest almost every year since 2007.  Very nice folks. 

As we were sitting outside their motorhome out of the wind, I couldn’t believe it, but the motorhome that was stuck and his buddy, came driving by.  They parked just down the road from me. 

I guess they were able to work their way out and took my advice and got out of there.   I am glad for them.  They were very fortunate to be young and strong enough to dig that thing out.

image

The wind and clouds over the mountains above Borrego Springs made for a beautiful sunset tonight.

image

12 comments:

  1. Thatt waa beautiful flower at the beginning of today's blog. I can't believe you got so close to the edge of that cliff!. It was a beautiful sight You must have been surprised to see those 2 motor homes coming down the street. They looked like they'd be stuck there for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was. I felt bad when I left them, but there was nothing I could do except watch and they didn't need that.

      Delete
  2. Before we had our Jeep we were lucky enough one time to get on a Saturday morning Jeep tour out into those badlands. Amazingly enough there are Jeep roads out there. Our tour had a lady leading it & at different stops she would point out things & give a talk about the badlands. Very informative. Those winds at the Clark Dry Lake bed are just about as bad as it gets. We have been driven out of there more than once by them. Trying to sleep with howling winds rocking one's rig back & forth can be very disconcerting. We've only been to Font's point once & luckily it was clear. Can't imagine what one is thinking by driving a motorhome into a sandy wash. Judging by their age I'm thinking it is a case of younger people's inexperience & poor decision making based on that RV inexperience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left Borrego Springs this morning and just when I got to the gas station on Hwy 86 to dump my tanks and take on water, the winds really picked up. I think I got out of there just in time. The weather is making a big change here. Snow in the mountains and rain in the desert. With the storm coming, there will be big winds. Wind alert now for gusts up to 50 mph.

      You hit the nail on the head with those youngsters and trying to boondock in a wash with that 40,000 pound motorhome. I was shocked when they came driving up our road at Clark Dry Lake.

      I would like to tour those badlands around there. Wouldn't want to go alone. I could easily get confused and lost in there.

      Delete
  3. We drove out that road ONCE in our Nissan XTerra (2 wheel drive, but high clearance)...made it out to the point. We were there with a camera group. Very beautiful, indeed. I cannot even IMAGINE trying to take a motorhome out on that road, however! WHAT were they thinking????
    Cheryl Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl Ann. When I talked to the owner of the big MH, he said the guy in the smaller one had camped there before with no problem. Well, I think he was thinking wrong. Nothing like the ignorance of youth and the old codgers like me.

      Delete
  4. Dad, that sounds scary to be stuck in a huge motor home! All your pictures are beautiful , especially the flower! Say hi to Yuma for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Kristi. Yuma can't wait to meet Bobbie. That will be fun to watch. Yuma is a lot like Bonsey. Young and rambunctious.

      Anytime I go down a sandy road in my motorhome I worry. I surely wouldn't go down one that had signs all over the place saying "Soft sand ahead. Stay on road." Hope you had fun at the baby shower.

      Delete
  5. Whewwwieeee I bet Coach Net would not honor a tow for that because they were "off road" LOL... amazing.

    Don't they think??? A wash is just that, a place for water to wash down fast, and has to be rife with sink holes, sandy spots, muddy areas and even spots where underground waters could make erroded areas that could collapse?

    Kareninthewoods and Steveio
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was seeing at least a $200 tow there on their tab. I'm sure any insurance company would laugh at a claim of someone being stuck in a sand wash road.

      Luckily, they were young and had the strength to get'er done. Glad I saw them later or I would have wondered what happened to them on their fun weekend in the desert.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes just not standing around watching is the best thing you can do in a situation - and give them a better option if you can :-) Love the depth and texture in your pics from the point - look like surface of the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jodee. If I were younger, I would have been in there digging with them. Hard to walk away when someone is in distress, but with age comes the realization of ones limits. I was so glad to see they made it out and didn't ruin their whole weekend.

    ReplyDelete