Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Caught the last train to Yuma

 This morning I was up at 8 o'clock with the plan to be on the road to Yuma by 10.  Packing was all done and we met with Nancy for a short visit and at 9:30 with plans to eat down the road a piece we headed out.

Nancy gazing at us through the morning sun as we left her driveway.

We headed out on I-10 around Tucson and that took a good hour.  Amazed I figured it out 😁


Once again we passed Picacho Peak where we visited a couple weeks ago.


We finally got out of the Tucson to Phoenix traffic and onto I-8 towards Yuma.  After two hours, we were starving so stopped in Gila Bend for Diesel and then went across the street to a large empty lot to eat lunch.

After lunch, I went out to the Jeep to get sunglasses to drive with into the sun.  I was at the street waiting to turn on it and there was a lot of traffic and I was waiting as cars kept coming by.  

Then a car pulled into the lot and stopped next to my window.  When I opened my window, he asked "Is this your dog?".  Oh my gosh, I thought Yuma was in the bedroom but when I opened the door to get the sunglasses Yuma followed me and I didn't realize it.  He was jumping at the Jeep each time I moved a little bit forward.  I am so glad for the delay in traffic and this kind gentleman.

It scares me to think what would have happened if I had pulled out into traffic with poor Yuma following the Jeep 😭😱😩😭

Last night Yuma and I were outside chatting with Nancy while she was removing things from her 5th wheel.  It was getting dark and she shut the door to the fifth wheel and as I got ready to go inside I called for Yuma and no Yuma.  I thought I heard a little sound and I immediately pulled out my flashlight and headed down to the wash below Nancy's house.  My thoughts were Yuma had been attacked by coyotes or Javelina pigs.

Nancy and Nick got their flashlights and were looking and calling but no Yuma and no sounds.  My heart was racing.  I shouldn't let him out at dark off leash.  It was then Nancy said "maybe I locked him in the 5th wheel", so she walked up and opened the door and guess who came bounding out?  Yuma had gone into the 5th wheel to check things out and Nancy didn't see him.

Twice in one day my heart stopped thinking I had lost Yuma forever.  I'm not going to let him out of my sight for the rest of the journey! 😬

The remainder of the journey was uneventful, thank goodness!  Except for few times Yuma would become a distraction to my driving.


We finally came over the Fortuna Mountains and below us was Yuma sprawled across the horizon to the west!

It was around 3:30 when we arrived at Ogilby Road just across the border in California and I called Deb for directions to their boondocking home.


As soon as I parked and opened the door, Yuma raced to their MH and met everyone.  Tom and Deb of course and then Shane and Cathy.  We all sat around till darkness descended and then we all parted for the night around 6 o'clock.

We grilled some hamburger and turkey burger for dinner and Nick and Yuma are resting while I type my post for the day before calling it a night.  I'm feeling thankful tonight!🙏🙏🙏

Thanks for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. OMG! It's a good thing nothing happened to Yuma. He does sneak out, if you don't keep an eye on him. Hopefully, no more mishaps. I'll bet Yuma couldn't wait to see Tom and get a graham crackers. Happy boondocks with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. Must be more careful with Yuma. Yuma ran in circles like a kid and would bark for pets as we were talking. What a spoiled brat. 😁

      Delete
  2. Yup that Yuma is an escape artist!!! Better keep a closer eye on him, the little imp!!! I had the same problem with Cooper one time ... now I make sure I see him before I open any door ... and I never miss!!! Glad you made it safely ... you'll have a great time camping there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. Yes, I must be more watchful. These doggies can be sneaky 😁

      Delete
  3. That Yuma almost missed his trip back to his hometown! That's scary. Glad you're able to wrangle that Yuma up. He's usually the best boy😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been bad when I left him. Going to be more watchful from now on.

      Delete
  4. I can feel your fear over the thought of losing Yuma. When Gibbs disappeared, even at the Ridge where it is safe, my ♥ was in my throat. Glad he was located both times.
    Saying goodbye to one friend and hello to others. That's the way to do it! :) Enjoy Olgiby Rd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Patsy. Don't like or want that fear. Enjoying the friends and weather here. Have to stop by next week if you're still there.

      Delete
  5. Yuma !!!
    To avoid the phoenix we like the lazy route thru Why and Ajo to Gila Bend. I'm certain you've been there many times before ... why not this trip?
    Glad you are all snug now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to hit Ajo later and spend a couple weeks. We were in a hurry to get to Yuma and that route adds an hour. Love that road from to Tucson to Why 😀

      Delete