Friday, February 25, 2022

Nick climbs Black Mountain

 Today is the day Nick is climbing Black Mountain.  I've always wanted to but I have limitations that prevent such a climb.  

We got up at 9 o'clock and it promises to be a beautiful day for a climb.  No wind and cool and sunny.  Nick had a quick breakfast and I'm going to take the White Lion into get fresh water and dump tanks, plus move just a couple hundred feet up the hill to a large beautiful site.  Someone just left this morning early and I'm grabbing it 😊.

At 11:30 Nick headed out and I went into town.  Nick had a backpack with everything he may need in case he has to stay overnight for some reason.


Had no troubles getting into town and dumping tanks.  I've been having troubles holding water in my fresh water tank after filling.  For some reason, it pours out as I drive down the road so today I was hoping it wouldn't happen.  

Yuma met the next door neighbor while I was taking on water.


I forget his name but he is just one and a ball of fire.  Yuma had fun because they both love to jump.  The young lady who owns him is from California and is a full-time RVer while working.  Her name is Krissi and she likes to boondock so I gave her my blog address so she could check out the Borrego Springs area for places to boondock.

When I returned back to Darby Well Road I stopped at the huge site just up the hill west of my current site.  Nick took a zoom picture from atop the mountain to give you an idea.


I was very upset because I could see a trail of water following me home and when I got to the site, I only had 35% of the 100% left in the fresh water tank.  Too mad today to look further into it, so will do that another day when I'm fresh.

Plus, when I got home all the stuff that was on my table including my computer was on the floor 😡.  Luckily, it wasn't damaged, but I can't find my mouse anywhere.  Must have kicked it out the door when I stopped in town to do the dump and take on water.

I just got everything moved into our new site and the RV cleaned up a little and here comes Nick, tired but successful on his climb.


It was about 3:30 and Nick had climbed the nearly 3000 foot mountain and taken pictures and returned.  Here is how his hike unfolded.

Ran into a small herd of donkeys.

Heading toward the top.

Someone has been here before me.  Mexicans use this mountain for cover.

The following pictures are from the top.

Looking north towards the Ajo Pit and the town of Ajo beyond.

Looking to the east along Darby Well Road out to highway 85.

The White Lion in his new site.  The Jeep is parked just above it in the old site.



Looking to the northwest.  


Cow plops Nick climbed the other day.



Zoom in on the pit and Ajo beyond.


On the way down.  One last picture.

Been a long day and we're both tired.  Thanks for stopping by.

19 comments:

  1. Great photos of your hike, Nick. I guess you spent some time at the top. Hopefully the water problem isn't a big fix. You may have to get another mouse, if that one doesn't show up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. Just got a tip on how to fix my water overflow problem. I'll give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Wow ... what a climb that was!! LOVE the donkeys. So the water problem ... my instruction book says not to push that valve in unless you have opened a water line and released the pressure first. It also says to leave a faucet open (water pump off) while filling the tank. Maybe it's something to do with the pressure in the tank forcing the water back out? Just a thought!! I never had that problem on my class A, but I seem to have it now, so I leave a faucet turned on while filling. Also, my water tank sensors said I had about ten gallons left, but when I dumped it was closer to twenty. Hope you figure it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy for the idea. I think I'll go with the sure fix Doug gave me below and also leave a faucet on too. Sire wish I could have gone with Nick. It was beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Doug, I had the same water tank problem with a fifth wheel. It was the overflow from the tank so I ended up attaching some type of flexible hose with a shut off on the end of the overflow pipe so when we were driving down the road it was shut off and would not spill out, but when filling it was open so you would not overfill the tank. I dont know how easy it is to get to your overflow pipe on a MH but mine was easy on the Fiver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't I think of that. Thank you for the tip. I can get to it fairly easily under the MH

      Delete
  4. Our fresh water tank is only 25 gal. We're always in need of more! Hope you figure out the leak/siphon and an easy fix for it.

    Nice photos from your adventure, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. Think I'm going to try the shutoff valve suggested.

      Delete
  5. That looks like a beautiful hike ! Also loved the donkeys. The views are amazing. I hope the water situation is an easy fix

    Keep living the dream 💖
    Tracie Laning Nick's mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracie. At least Nick is seeing the good and the bad of the wandering life😊

      Delete
  6. Beautiful pictures Nick! Nice move Doug! Looks beautiful there! Good luck with the water problem, hoping you can get it fixed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. It is pretty here and finally warming up.

      Delete
  7. What beautiful pictures, Nick! You are doing what is older folk wish we could. Hiking is not my nature so thank you.
    You have a nice spot now, goid choice to move.
    Good luck with the water fix. They say mice 🐀 in an rv isn't wise anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't live without this mouse Patsy. Unless Bill thinks its a bad idea I'm going to put a shutoff valve on that outlet to keep the water from draining back out.

      Delete
  8. Nice detail in the photos. Nick is doing what so many of us wished we could have done when we were that age

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have that right Al. All I can do now is look up and that even hurts 😀

      Delete
  9. I have the same Dish Tailgater as you, some folks whine about it, It has worked great for me.
    It's free to move around and not up on the roof, which I no longer care to climb up onto anymore.The price is O.K. ( every thing is going up$$$)..and I can turn it off & on as they say..( I am not a salesdude..etc.).When it's pouring down rain and stuck inside, it's nice to have..3' of snow in my yard..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree. It is convenient. The only negative is I am always turning electricity off and on. And it is time consuming to go thru to get it going.

    ReplyDelete