Saturday, February 19, 2022

Scenic drive to Ajo

Yuma is in a rut.  I move a little bit near the 8 o'clock hour and Yuma is ready to head outside to see the world.  As usual, another beautiful day in the offing.  A little warm with a high of 78, but I will take it.

We relaxed the morning away and about 11:30 we took the Jeep and headed out to see the scenic route through the valley between the Little Ajo Mountains and the Ajo open pit mine and the town of Ajo.

It is a short drive of about 10 miles but is pretty.

Nick next to an Organ Pipe cactus with the North Ajo Peak in the background.


Cow plops in the foreground.

Nick thought he could skirt around a Cholla Cactus.  They don't call them jumping chollas for nothing 😁


Took a little hike up a hillside to look out over the Ajo open pit mine in the distance.

Nick contemplating the world from high above the pit.

Dried sludge from the pit.

See the Jeep way down below?

Nick at the Organ Pipe Cactus alterπŸ˜€ 

As we passed through Ajo, we stopped at the Ajo open pit visitor center for a picture of the mine.

Arrived home around 2:30 and just found some shade to relax and enjoy the beautiful afternoon.  
Oh, I did get one other project off my bucket list.  I have never been able to figure out how to get the hot water to work so today, I read the procedures and did a little knob turning and switch flicking and then some waiting.  Miraculously, I have hot water πŸ˜‚πŸ˜.  I might be slow, but I eventually get things done.  No more cold showers 😱.

Had cheeseburgers for dinner and for the first time in all the years I have been traveling through out the southwest, I finally made a fire!
Before ruining a perfectly good day, I'll quit for the night.  Thanks for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Surprised you didn't look into getting your hot water a little sooner! Cool area you're in now with all the cactus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They call it procrastination! πŸ˜€ The weather has been great here. Much prettier than the Yuma desert.

      Delete
  2. All this time no hot water?? You crack me up. OUCH Nick!!! Any cactus hitting the skin is bad ... some so tiny it takes a magnifying glass to get it out. Ask me how I know. If it weren't so cold, that hammock might be a nice place to spend the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I got it done. No more cold showers with a heated bucket of water πŸ˜€ Nick was due for a cactus bite.

      Delete
  3. You boys had a perfect day - except for the jumping cholla. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice day. Nick is experiencing everything out here πŸ˜€

      Delete
  4. A pocket comb is pretty good at flipping the cholla off.
    Hot water for the shower and nice night to have a fire ... does it get any better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Jeff. Hard to beat the beauty of this area. If you like desert country.

      Delete