Sunday, December 8, 2019

Coyote Howls

Ajo, Arizona - December 8, 2019

Had a nice quiet sleep last night with nary a sound outside until.....Just before sun-up there was a high pitched screeching sound.  It sounded like a cat, but I knew it had to be a coyote.  Must have been a young one trying to imitate his dad.  I could here others responding way off in the distance.  He did this for about half hour and then it went quiet again.

I was surprised that Yuma didn't get scared and shake and want to climb off the bed, but he just looked up and then went back to sleep.  Last time he heard coyotes, he was scared.

I looked out the window about 7 o'clock and could tell it was going to be an overcast day and the weatherman agreed.  I decided today would be a good day to just stay near home and just take a few walks around the area.  It was already 57 degrees and calling for mid sixties this afternoon.

I did a lot of this today.  There's my favorite Black Mountain looking right back at me.  If I were younger, I would climb it, but those days are gone.

Did take a few walks and shot a few pictures I will share.  

Behind me is part of a quarter mile mountain of tailings from the Ajo open pit mine on the other side.

Lots of arms!

Another shot of my home looking north.

Yuma and I looking down Darby Wells Road.

Looking west down the road.  Al and Kelly like to stay near that set of boulders left center.

Looking south from the Darby Wells road.

Barrel Cactus getting ready to bloom.

This is what a forest looks like in the desert.

That was about it for the day.  Want to let you know, Dolly made up a bunch of rib steaks, pork chops and hamburgers and froze them.  I have been eating cooked veggies, Cauliflower Medleys and Jello for dessert.  No more TV dinners for me.  No Siree!  Going to eat healthy this winter and keep the glucose readings down and the cholesterol too.

That's it for tonight.  See you later.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic day, restful.
    Yuma is older and more experienced, doesn't frighten as easy.
    Enjoy your time there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. He stays with me and doesn't wander too far. Great watchdog. Hope the sun comes out soon.

      Delete
  2. You have yourself a nice spot, to enjoy a peaceful day. Nice photos of the area around your 'home'. Discover any crested cactus yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. But will venture further this morning as soon as the sun appears.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a relaxing day. Beautful blooming barrel cactus! It really must have been rainy there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. It poured last night with thunder. Yuma left the bed for a few hours. Foggy now but sun should pop up soon.

      Delete
  4. What a great day. Nice that you have found a favorite spot to rest for a couple of weeks. Hope you and Yuma enjoy your stay.
    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rested now and ready for sunshine. Foggy after our rain last night. Safe journey today.

      Delete
  5. How sweet of Dolly to take care of her man even when she's not there with you :) Beautiful spot you're at for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly is sweet. Wonder what I will do when the meats she fixed up are gone.😁

      Delete
  6. Sure looks inviting and peaceful. Great spot to recuperate from the long trip West. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Moonfly. Very quiet here. Hoping the sun comes out of the fog soon. Lots rain and thunder last night. Scared Yuma.

      Delete
  7. Great shot with your feet up looking at the mountain and I can see it looking back at you. Tom and I think we recognized the saguaro with all the arms...lol Looks like a wonderful spot to relax and enjoy. Sounds like even Yuma has gotten into relaxation mode. One lucky guy. Not only does Dolly send you off to enjoy a place you really like but she sends food. She is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After 53 years I think Dolly and I will be together till the end. She's wonderful to let me take these long trips. I hope it is a vacation for her not to have to take care of me for awhile. Rested now ready for some sightseeing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the photo of the barrel cactus. What a beautiful area. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are starting to look like Willie Nelson.
    Are you going to let your beard grow again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. One more time I'll have the scraggly look for the winter.

      Delete