Thursday, December 19, 2019

New friends and The Pit

Ajo, Arizona - Thursday, December 19, 2019

Watched two and a half hours of Survivor last night and only used 4% of my four house batteries and today, I put the 100 watt solar panel on them and it didn't take long to be back to 100%.  I'm happy.

Didn't sleep well from pain in my hips and lower back.  Couldn't get comfortable.  I've had this back pain since the days before I left home.  I tried raking and picking up leaves and my back couldn't handle it.  Yesterday, moving heavy batteries around didn't help.

Got up around 9 AM this morning and was doing my normal breakfast thing.  I had a big breakfast


 and was on my second cup of coffee laying outside with my best buddy dutifully keeping watch at my side. 
I was reading blogs when Yuma started barking and ran around the MH.

As usual, I figured it was a neighbor, so I yelled at Yuma to come back.  When he didn't, I peeked around the MH and there was a big white 350 Ford truck with a beautiful camper on top. 

Out popped a couple and the first thing he said was "We came to meet Yuma!"  No one ever comes to meet me.  Yuma is the main character of my blog.  I do all the work and he gets all the accolades!

We introduced ourselves and Yuma did his normal spring jump all around them like he had known them for years.  They were BobCat. 
Bob and Cathy from California.  They had been following me quietly since 2015 when they spotted my blog on AL's blog.
 TRAVEL WITH THE BAYFIELD BUNCH:))  .  

They didn't stay long, but Yuma got lots of pets which he liked, but not the two small doggies that were locked in the truck.  Yuma wanted to meet them too, but not to be. 
Bob and Cathy had been camping further west off Darby Well Road and were heading out.  They had a good idea of where I was camping and stopped by.

Too quickly, they were on their way, but before leaving they wanted a picture of them with of course, Yuma.  He was happy to oblige.
On their way down my circular drive and on to California.

My first visitors of the year and Yuma and I were thrilled Bob and Cathy stopped by to meet us.

After they left, Yuma and I headed into Ajo to visit the New Cornelia Open Pit Mine.   It is over a mile and a half wide and 1150 feet deep.  Water now covers the bottom 250 feet.  They used rail cars to haul out the copper, gold and other precious metals.  You can read more at New Cornelia Mine 

To give you an idea, I am staying at the base of Black Mountain across the way to the South.


     

You can see the tailings (dirt and rock residue) strung for miles around the south end of Ajo.

 An example of the rail cars they used to bring the payload round and round up from the pit.


 That was our day.  My back is feeling better tonight and I'm hoping bouncing around in the Jeep won't bother me as much.  Not good to have a bad back in a Jeep on these desert roads.

Had a wonderful dinner of pork chops, broccoli and corn followed with chocolate pudding and whip cream.  I'm getting good at this cooking thing.

Thanks again for stopping by Bob and Cathy.  See you later.










20 comments:

  1. Always nice to have visitors even if they just want to visit Yuma. 😀 Sounds like the batteries are doing there job. Take care of your back,glad it is feeling a little better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I'm feeling much better this morning. The muscles have finally loosened up so the bones can fall back into place.

      Delete
  2. We first met Bob and Cathy a bunch of RVing years ago near Elfrida Arizona. Saw them again last winter at Gunsight Wash near Why Arizona then a few days later in Ajo. Really nice people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very nice. We talked about their visits with you and the bunch. Hoping you will be back next year.

      Delete
  3. Breakfast sure looks yummy. Nice to have your 1st visitors & Yuma knows he is a star. Good photos. Try Aleve for your back (generic is naproxen sodium 220 mg) & a heating pad. Re: Survivor - not sure if you saw the wrap up ? But, both Elaine (my favorite) & Janet - each won $ 100,000. Yea! 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Moonfly. I may just buy a heating pad if things aren't better today. I did see part of the wrap up. I was glad for both of them. I'm not supposed to take Aleve because of kidney problems. But for a short period that may be a great idea. I'll get a bottle today and give them a try. Tylenol just doesn't seem to have the umph.

      Delete
  4. Yes you do need a passport to go into Mexico. You can walk right across the border (leave your jeep in the parking lot) but you CANNOT just walk right BACK. You need a passport to get back into the U.S. I've heard of people trying it with just their drivers license, but I wouldn't want to take a chance of not getting back in the U.S. I always carry my passport. Easy to get ... fill out the form on-line and mail in with a picture, but it takes maybe 100 days to get it back in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. I was afraid that was the case. With the new laws next year where you need a new card to fly or a passport, Dolly and I will just get both and be done with it. Wonder why I didn't need all these papers to fly to South Vietnam in the 60s.

      Delete
  5. Great post! It was a very eventful day for you and, especially, Yuma. 😀 Breakfast looked yummy. Glad you back is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. I slept much better last night. I think today will be the day I can move around without much pain.

      Delete
  6. How cool that Yuma is so famous! He is a cutie though. Breakfast does look yummy, those fried eggs are perfect! Beautiful pictures as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS. Read max dosage on Aleve - they are strong. Heating pads come in 2 sizes - get the biggest & crank it on high. Get well soon.! 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. I'll give the Aleve a try for just one small bottle and see if it helps. Doctor advise I stick with Tylenol as it is better on kidneys. For short time don't think it would be a problem.

      Delete
  8. Jerry and I both have belts. Sometimes I wear it just to do laundry. Aleve is good. I'm not supposed to take Aleve but once in awhile I sneek one in. Yuma rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'll sneak a few Aleves just to relax my back muscles so everything can move back into place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always fun to meet blog followers and we heave met quite afewbthat way over the years,
    The mine is amazing and even how Ajo grew around it whenit was booming. Reading the history and museum is fun place to check outs well. Glad to see you cooking and hope your bacgets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks George. Before I leave I will have to check out the museum. Been a few years since visiting it. Hoping back is much better today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful thing when new friends stop in, even if Yuma is the draw. (they say that but I'm sure you are also a big part) People are so nice.
    That is quite the breakfast!!
    I hope your back improves overnight, that isn't fun at all. My worst was last spring from the garden and I'm so thankful it improved even though it took a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy. My back is feeling better. I was surprised and happy to have visitors.

      Delete