Monday, December 16, 2019

Tour of Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Ajo, Arizona - Monday, December 16, 2019

This morning started out sunny and just a tad on the cool side.  High today of 60 with a breeze to keep things cool.  

A perfect day for a Jeep tour I say to myself.  So, after breakfast, a walk, and lots of blog reading and comments, Yuma and I jumped in the Jeep and headed south on highway 85.

Even though I had three quarters of a tank of gas, I stopped at the Why NOT Travel Store in Why and filled up, just in case.  Nicely painted store front.

 There's a sheet of water falling out of the truck window, but I couldn't catch it well with my camera.
Then we headed further south about 20 miles to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument to take some pictures.

The Ajo Mountains followed us the whole way on the east side of the highway.  Just before reaching  our destination we went through a checkpoint but they were more interested in those coming north so we passed right through.  About a mile after that we entered the park.
It was at least ten miles to the Visitor Center so had to catch a few pictures of the Ajo Mountain range.
 
Arrived at the Visitor Center around 1 o'clock and checked in and got a map and self guide of the loop.
I had decided to take the Ajo Mountain scenic loop through the mountains today.  I just love mountains, so if you don't then stop here because we're about to have mountain pictures overload.

Directly east of the Visitor Center is the gravel road to the Ajo Mountain Drive.  Any reliable vehicle under 25 feet is a go.
This is a loop through the mountains so I'm going to let you enjoy the view without too much conversation from me.
 The road is one way through the loop.  Yuma doesn't know that and is going the wrong way at a fast clip!
 Just as I entered the one way road I could see someone walking towards me.  As I got closer I could see it was a young Mexican woman with a young child hanging on to her back.  She looked pregnant but found out later it was a water pack she was carrying.

She waved for me to stop and I did.  She could speak no English and I could tell she was very tired and afraid.  We attempted to communicate.  She wanted to know if I was the security patrol and I said no.  Asked it she needed any agua and that is when she pointed to her tummy bump.

Tried to explain it was about two miles to the highway, and she kept asking if security patrol was there and I said yes they were everywhere.

At this point I knew there was nothing more I could do.  We're about five miles from the Mexican border, and she was so tired and tears were falling down her cheeks, I felt so sorry leaving her there.  I wished her a safe journey and we parted.  Won't get into the politics of this, but it is sad.

 Seeing a lot of Organ Pipe Cactus among the Saguaros.




 Thought that was a coyote for a minute there.


There s an arch up there.  In fact two of them.   

 Yuma is bored and wants to go home.  I told him we were over half way.







It's over.  I hope you enjoyed the 21 mile loop tour through the Ajo Mountains.  If you haven't been here before, you have to come and do it.  My pictures don't fairly represent how beautiful this country is.

As I was almost to highway 85 I saw two security patrol trucks partially blocking the road so I stopped to tell them about seeing the young woman.  

He said they had her in the back seat of the truck.  I don't know about the woman, but I was relieved her dangerous journey was over and she could get some rest and aid.

Before heading north towards home, I made a left and drove the five miles to Lukeville right at the border.  No town nor a Trump wall I could see.  Just another security gate and I couldn't go further.
 Went back through the park and the guard at the checkpoint asked a few questions and sent me on my way.
It has been a long day.  By the time we got home it was past 5 'clock and I've got lots to do before bed time.

See you later.

18 comments:

  1. Fantastic pictures Of the Organ Pipe Catus Park. It's a lovely place. Love all the cacti! Really enjoyed all the pictures of them. Poor Yuma didn't appreciate them. At least, they weren't chollas! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No stickies for Yuma. That was good. Glad you liked the tour.

      Delete
  2. Oh, the story of the Mexican girl made me feel so sad. I'm glad you told it though because I want to say a prayer for her. You did all you could & I wonder what I would do ? The photos of Yuma were good & cheered me up a little. He is a very special dog. 🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Moonfly. You read about them and see it on TV, but it has a personal hurt when you meet one trying to better herself and in such misery.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for more wonderful memories in your pictures. We also Visited Ajo Calvary Baptist Church on a Sunday morning while we were there and The people were so loving and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty. That truly is a beautiful church. I imagine it is more beautiful inside.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful drive through there , we did that same loop a few years ago and loved it .
    Thanks for all the great photos and memories of that monument.
    Love that Why Not Store just a short walk fro Coyote Howls East where we have camped a few times, a great place to pick up a cold ice cream there on a hot sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you could visit again through my lens. They really keep the store looking spiffy.

      Delete
  5. Having done that Ajo scenic loop drive several times I think it is one of the best examples of the Southwest's green Sonoran desert. I've recommended that drive to many folks through my blog over the years and hopefully they got down to Organ Pipe to see it. We were there one time in the Spring and orange poppies covered the hillsides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my third time through and it still looks amazing. Short memories have their benefits. Would like to see it in the Spring. Just glad it has rained here lately and everything is a beautiful green.

      Delete
  6. That was a sad story about the Mexican gal :( Organ Pipe is absolutely beautiful! We've never been there but certainly will have to visit one day. Sounds and looks like a really nice day for you and Yuma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. Sad but I'm sure it happens over and over. Glad she was stopped on her first day. I do hope you and Ken make it down here. They even have an RV park near the Visitor Center.

      Delete
  7. We have done that drive and the others at Organ Pipe National Monument. That one is our favorite. It breaks my heart to read about the young woman, glad to read she is safe. I like that you said you would not get into the politics about this. I truly believe this is not the forum for those discussions. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. It is truly a beautiful drive and I'm thankful for the way the roads are well maintained so anyone can enjoy.

      Delete
  8. It is an amazing place, thanks for the flashback:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Doug. Just wanted to say that I have followed your blog for a couple of years now, and have enjoyed it immensely. Hope to follow in your footsteps when I eventually retire.
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick. If you have an interest it is a great way to spend retirement.

      Delete