Saturday, December 28, 2019

Imperial National Wildlife Refuge

Didn't have a clue what I was going to do today when I woke at 8:30.  But I did know how my morning was going to go.  

It was cold out at 38 degrees but with sunny skies and not much wind it wasn't bad.  Supposed to get to around 60 by afternoon.

When breakfast was over and blogs read and commented on it was afternoon already and it was pleasant outside.  I looked on my Google Maps and saw Dome Landing on the Colorado River only about 45 minutes North of here, so that's where we decided to go.

Hopped in the Jeep, well Yuma did, I kinda slowly slid in my seat.  The canal along the road looks pretty today.

We turned right at the blacktop heading past Yuma Proving Ground (YPG) and ended up at highway 95 heading North.  Wasn't long when I saw a sign saying Ferguson Lake to the left so took that road.

Somehow, instead of ending up at Domes Landing, I ran into a welcome sign to Fisher's Landing on the Colorado River.
Went through the town and took a picture of the river at the boat launch area.
I had seen a sign just before getting to Fisher's Landing saying Imperial National Wildlife Refuge, so I went back and followed that road North along the Colorado River, although I could not see the river till I got to the Refuge.

At the Refuge there were maps showing the lookouts over the Colorado River.  This area is a bird refuge, so the river is wide and full of reeds much like Mittry Lake.

Yuma and I stopped at each lookout and took the best pictures I could.  The river area is very marshy, so the lookouts were back from the river unfortunately.






We then stopped at a Painted Desert walking tour.  It was a just over a mile.  I thought they were a little stingy on the paint.




Yuma loves to run the trails.

Here he comes lickity split.

I won't go into the 15 miles of bad road going North towards Cibola and the 15 miles coming back.  I read the little map they gave me wrong and I thought I was going along the Colorado River but I wasn't.  

I mistook a boundary line for a road.  Oh well, what's another bad road in Arizona.  They're a dime a dozen.  Another day of errors but everything came out okay in the end.  

It was still a great day and we got home before dark just barely.  I'll have to find Domes Landing another day.  
See you later.

21 comments:

  1. The Painted Desert was amazing! The colors flow into each other. Did you see many birds in the sanctuary? Wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. Just the normal Coots in the water I see here at the Lake. I believe it's a stopover area for migrating birds.

      Delete
  2. Fisher's Landing is a town? Last time I was there it was just a bar. I just added another place to my list. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There wasn't a town really, but lots of houses and I believe the boat launch area was the central area. I think there was a fancy bar across from the landing. Still don't know where Dome Landing is unless that was it. I'll figure it out.

      Delete
  3. I believe "the bird lady of blogland" - Judy Bell - worked as a volunteer at Imperial Wildlife Refugee one season. Brings back lots of memories - she passed a few years ago. Yuma sure does like to run fast. Even though you guys got a little bit lost you still had a Fun day. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did Moonfly. I remember Judy. She volunteered at number of bird sanctuaries around the southwest.

      Delete
  4. Have you been to Castle Dome Museum? The road takes off at about mile marker 55. I've missed some of your postings, so don't know if you've been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have been to the museum. If it is the one with the fenced settlement very near Castle Dome.

      Delete
  5. That's part of the fun being in the Arizona desert exploring all the back roads that were made by the pioneers and prospectors.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your exploring.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you're right but when getting jostled around so much and with the sun getting low in the sky and you don't know where in the heck you're going, it doesn't feel fun at the moment.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful pictures today, Doug, as usual. I love the profile of Yuma on the rise looking at the water with the sun in the background. Beautiful!
    I laughed at your comment that they were skimpy on the paint in the Painted Desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. I liked the one of Yuma too. Too bad I didn't have my new camera so I could zoom in better. No fun shooting blind.

      Delete
  7. Nice adventure on the back roads. Great pictures today, did you already get your new camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not till Wednesday, but this old one is pretty nice but I can't see what I'm shooting at.

      Delete
  8. You have some nice photos there and I like your new header photo as well. We've heard that eastern approach to Cibola is really rough. We like the Cibola Nature Reserve and it's really easy to get from the western side. And yes that jostling around can get to be a real annoyance after awhile. It's one of the reasons we switched from a Jeep Wrangler to a Jeep Liberty. Better ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could use a better ride some days. I have been to the Cibola Nature Reserve and it is pretty there. Went the easy way as you mentioned.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pictures as always! I thought the pictures of the painted desert were beautiful..guess it all has to do with the sun. I don't think you need a new camera, your pictures are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. If I could see what I was aiming at I would be happy, but years ago I dropped it and broke the viewing glass so I can't see what I'm shooting. All blind shots now. A real point and shoot.

      Delete
  10. Nothing says excitement like taking the wrong road. Some wonderful photos. A little rough road is to be expected to find some interesting views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you're right. I just wish the wrong roads weren't so bad.

      Delete

  11. I'm here to testify about Mr John Blank ATM Cards which can withdraw money from any ATM machines around the world.. firstly I thought it was scam until I saw so many testimony about how Mr John sent them the ATM blank card and how it was used to withdraw money in any ATM machine and become rich so I decided to risk the opportunity I contacted him also and I applied for the Blank Card to my greatest surprise I have used it to get 10,000 dollars. maximum withdrawal daily $1,000, Mr John is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any ATM Machine Vault,If your interested kindly contact him directly on his email (johnlopez1945@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete