Thursday, December 5, 2019

Out of Texas to Deming, New Mexico

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Another long day, but I am feeling better at the end of the day now. Getting used to it I guess.  

Woke up at 6:30 and slowly ate a full breakfast and read some blogs before heading out around 8:30.  There was a lot of road noise at the Midland Walmart, but it did quiet down and I finally fell asleep.

There was an accident on I-20 just west of Odessa and the line of cars was backed up for many miles.  Luckily it was the side going east and not mine; otherwise I probably wouldn't be here yet. 


This is my new 60s look for this trip.  I think I better change to a cowboy hat when I get to Tucson.


Saw my first mountains just outside of Van Horn just like Al said I would.
There were mountains and valleys all the way to El Paso.
Before I knew it I was closing in on El Paso.  It is a large city, but fortunately I could stay in one lane the entire way through at 60 mph. Couldn't get lost.
Finally I made it to New Mexico.  I'm officially in the Southwest.
On my way through Las Cruces, not far from El Paso and then up Roadrunner hill towards Deming.
I couldn't believe I got such a clear picture shooting blindly out my side window.  Even got the whole bird.

Got to Deming around 3:30 Mountain Time, so I was on the road a long time, but I did take a number of long breaks.  Traveled about 400 miles due west and it took me 8 hours.  The weather was wonderful and quite warm.  

I fixed my first full meal tonight.  Had a rib steak, corn, and mixed cauliflower.  It was wonderful.  No more TV dinners for me.  


Time to read blogs and call it a night.

See you later.





18 comments:

  1. That's a long drive. You're right about getting used to it. A couple more 8 hour drives and you'll be in California!
    Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll stop in Arizona for awhile. Should be in Tucson early today if all goes well.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to the great Southwest. We no longer do those marathon drives but I'm happy you made it without any problems. I like the 60s look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Didn't have too many close calls. A few horns and several blinking lights, but being bigger I backed them off. Only a three hour drive to Tucson and then the relaxing begins.

      Delete
  3. New Mexico is my favorite state - love those blue skies. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like New Mexico but it is at a higher elevations so not my favorite in the winter time. Need to get down to the low desert and come back here in the Spring when its warmer. Hope your weather is okay.

      Delete
  4. You finally got there, or at least close.
    Dick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Just a three hour drive and I'll be to Tucson if all goes well. Stay at the next stop for a few days. Time for the relaxing to begin.

      Delete
  5. Another long day but you're getting there! Love the 60's look on you! Sounds like a nice breakfast and even better dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I'm finally getting into the groove but the long driving is over. Three hours to Tucson and a few days rest. Then I start the slow short drives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the time you read this, bet you'll be in Arizona! Time to slow down and enjoy the Desert Southwest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Jeff. Watching Gold Rush on my new TV. Got to move on to Ajo tomorrow

      Delete
  8. Love spotting the first mountains and then the New Mexico sign when we come that way. Tom does not like the drive through El Paso though. Nice catch of the Roadrunner. Continued safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I have always had it easy getting through there. Glad to be near the end of the journey.

      Delete
  9. Welcome to the southwest. I love spotting those mountains way off in the distance. It makes the drive more exciting, knowing I'll eventually reach them. Excellent shot of the Roadrunner. I can never do that, I end up taking photos of the dashboard. Continued safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to be here. Gets harder each year. I was lucky on that roadrunner shot. Usually they come out fuzzy or I miss the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear you got some shorter trip and more rest coming up!! Enjoy the weather. Going to get a little cold snap here next week!⛄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally made it. Soon I will be staying several weeks at a time. Hope it stays Sunny and warm.

      Delete