Saturday, December 14, 2019

Child's Mountain Sunset Tour

This morning we awoke around 8 o'clock with the sun shining and 50 degrees already.  Going to be a mid-seventies day with clear skies.

We had breakfast and because I've got a special occasion tonight, we went to the Olsens Food Market to pick up the food supplies I need.  I wanted to get that choir out of the way early and besides I was out of dog food, so we had to go or Yuma would be mad at me.

Didn't do a darn thing except enjoy the sunshine and wash my hair until 3 o'clock and then it was time to get ready for the Child's Mountain Sunset Tour.

The Park Service has this tour the second Saturday of every month for anyone that wants to go and it's free.


Yuma and I were waiting at the Visitor Center at quarter to four with camera ready.  Here is where we are headed as seen from the Visitor Center.
By the time 4 o'clock rolled around we had about 20 people in a caravan of eight vehicles.  Off we headed for Child's Mountain about 35 minute drive from the Center.  Not just anyone can go to the top of the mountain.  About half way up, there is a locked gate and the Park Ranger has the key.

When we got to the top of the mountain, we all went our separate way to take pictures as we pleased.  It was about half hour before sunset, so I made sure I got some pictures of Ajo to the East before the sunset on the Ajo Valley.

I'm not very good with sunsets, so you get the best I got.  There was just a few wisps of clouds to the North but clear to the West where the sun was getting ready to set, so no pretty clouds at sunset.

This is a picture looking across Ajo Valley and part of the town of Ajo.  That is Black Mountain in the background where I'm staying.
 This is looking straight east across Ajo Valley.
 Here is another zoom picture of Ajo and you can see the open pit mine right in the town.  Black Mountain is in the background.
 Less zoom of Ajo below.
 To the southwest.

 This is looking to the northwest as the sun begins to set.

There's the tower I took a picture of from the Visitor Center parking lot.




Looking to the northwest and north.  The wisps of clouds are only to the north.


 The remaining are looking West as the sun sets and a couple to the north where the wisps of clouds are.





That is the sunset show for tonight.  Time for some dessert in the desert and then off to bed.


As I was typing again tonight, the coyotes were really making a racket.   right outside the MH.  Yuma is still upset.


See you later.

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures from Child's Mountain. Really an amazing picture of Ajo and The huge mine pit. The sunset was gorgeous, even without clouds. That was quite a crowd that made the trek. Glad you got stocked up - and I'm sure Yuma was, too. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dolly. I enjoyed the sunset tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT pictures. Don't you just love all the changing desert colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I especially liked the pastel rows of mountains. I think I've seen a painting just like it. Would be an easy painting to do.

      Delete
  4. You got some great photos, Doug. And, hearing coyotes howl would creep me out too - especially so close to your RV. 🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Moonfly. I think want us out of their area. I may try to get an audio tonight and post it if it isn't too difficult.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures Doug! Love the sunset ones! That was quite a drive up the mountain I'm sure. Nice that you were there on the Saturday the tour is offered. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. The drive is much easier than some we've done. I took the tour last time I was here and fortunately I timed it right again.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful pictures Doug! Brought back wonderful memories as Ajo was one of my Joe’s favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty. Good to hear from you. It is one of my favorites too. Quiet, laid back small town. With only one stoplight. And the views are terrific.

      Delete
  7. Love your photos and especially he open pit mine, from the angle who a special treat, Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. I was lucky to get there early enough to get pictures of Ajo. Not often can you get pictures like that without being in a plane. Or I could climb A mountain but those years have passed me by.

      Delete
  8. Looks like the weather is great and you had a pretty busy day! Looks like we could get snow tonight and tomorrow! How long you plan on staying and do you have the next destination planned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your forecast. Cold and snowy. Probably another week and then not sure what's next. I just may stay here all month. Still lots to see and do.

      Delete
  9. I'm always awed by the sights around me when I add a little height to the view. Such views you had! Some great shots. The zoom of Ajo and the mine is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I was fortunate to be here at the right time of the month. I was glad it was still light enough to see Ajo. Neat little town.

      Delete
  10. WOW! A great 'tour', you captured some awesome shots of the desert as the colors and shadows changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. It was a special treat to be here at the right time.

      Delete
  11. For all the times we've been in Ajo we never did make it up Childs Mountain. Gotta love those western sunsets over the mountains. Good stuff:))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Al. I've been lucky enough to do it twice. Great drive with magnificent views.

    ReplyDelete