Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Lessons learned

Ajo, Arizona - Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Woke up around 8:30 (darn, missed the sunrise again) and it was all blue skies but cool with some wind.  

We had breakfast and read some blogs and by noon it was nice enough to go outside and lay in the sun.  After yesterdays long day I need it.

As a novice cook at age 74, I learned another new thing yesterday.  Dolly had cut up a whole head of lettuce for me to have salads on my journey out here.  And she also bought a package of pre-cut lettuce mixed with carrots and put that in the fridge for me too.

I forgot a few nights and didn't have a salad with my dinner, so about 12 days in I finally finished the cut salad Dolly had made.  It was getting a little brown on the edges but still tasted fine.

While on the phone with her a few nights ago I asked if the store bought lettuce could spoil and she said yes.  Asked how I would know and she said I would know.  I had already gone to the store and bought food for the week, but didn't buy lettuce because I had an unopened package in the fridge.

I opened it last night to make a salad and with one whiff I learned how to know when lettuce goes bad!

So, this afternoon I went back to the store and bought a tightly wound head of lettuce as Dolly said I should.

Returning from the store I could see the sun was hitting a number of the wall murals making them perfect for photographing, so you will see those.  Not mural overload mind you, because there are many, many murals in Ajo.  

Click on any of them to make them larger.








On the way south on highway 85 as I've done many times in my five visits to Ajo, I have gone under the old mining sluice pipe and on around the end of the
mountain of tailings on the right.

However, on the left side going south I would always see this concrete marker on the hill.  I'm sure those of you who have stayed on Darby Well Road have also seen it.  Wonder how many of you ever drove up there to find out what it was. 
Well, today I did. 

 This used to be the Clarkston Cemetery site and the bodies they could find have been moved to the Ajo Cemetery I visited the other day.  Interesting read.

Went home and sliced the head of lettuce into a million pieces, fried me a yummy chicken breast in butter with lots of seasoning and had me a huge chicken salad tonight.

See you later.

16 comments:

  1. I was afraid the packaged salad had been there too long! 😁 Loved all the pictures of the murals. That s an interesting site, where the is cemetery used to be. No Yuma pictures today?? Glad you had a relaxing day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I know that 16 days is too long for lettuce to stay fresh. Poor Yuma got left out today.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new cooking skills. Next time you get to a Fry's buy a bottle of avacado oil. No refrigeration needed, mild flavor, healthy, & high smoke point. (Won't burn in your skillet like butter does.) Anyway, Remember : Survivor 3 hour Finale on Wednesday night. Yea !! 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. I'll get some tomorrow at the store and try it. I like the low smoke factor. Dolly is going to Steve's home (son) to watch Survivor so I can have Dish move local channels to Ajo for the evening. I hope my Rv batteries can hold up for three hours.

      Delete
  3. LOL - you'll never be confused with Emeril! More great documentation of the Ajo Murals. Again an education, I have seen the Clarkston Cemetery monument but never stopped and had no idea the history. Thanks for the education!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. I had no idea what the marker was for. Thought it was something about the pit.

      Delete
  4. Learning more every day will keep you going we a head of lettuce usually lasts us a week or so , but I find if you cut it up fresh with a metal knife it turns brown quicker.
    I do love all seeing those murals around town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George.I'm learning. Soon I'll be going back and reading your recipes for ideas. Glad you enjoyed the murals.

      Delete
  5. You made me laugh with the salad. I always smell it first. Same goes for that box of spinach I buy on occasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I tasted a little bit just to make sure. I was sure.

      Delete
  6. Too funny about the salad lesson. Just a tip, maybe Dolly told you, don't use a metal knife to cut lettuce as that will quicken the demise time. Use a plastic or plastic coated knife if not your hands to tear it apart. ;)
    We still have Ajo on our list of places to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I used a sharp metal knife so next time I will shread by hand. If you have never been to Ajo it is a beautiful little town to visit.

      Delete
  7. Reading Patsy's comment I just learned something haha. Beautiful mural pictures, such a cute looking town. Dinner sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure glad I went on the low sugar diet. I enjoy my cooking much better than those TV dinners I used to eat. It's like going to school reading blogs and comments.

      Delete
  8. As always.... beautiful photos. To me it seems the lettuce in a bag goes bad faster than a head of lettuce. In case you don't know this, bang the lettuce core area on the counter and the core will come out easily. That's if you want it out. I learned that from an Alan Alda movie. Survivor.....no comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another lesson learned. Dolly is going to designate me chief cook when I get home. Thanks Elva.

      Delete