Sunday, December 29, 2019

Football Games and culinary cooking

Mittry Lake near Yuma, Arizona

Another cool morning but no wind and sunny without a cloud in the sky.  Had a nice leisurely breakfast and by 11 o'clock it was warm outside and promised to be a nice day.

I had bought a package of six beef boneless chuck style ribs when at the store last.  I thought they would be just like steak since it was beef.  But when I called Dolly to find out if I could cook them on the stovetop I was surprised.

Nope.  These have to be cooked in the oven for three hours with lots of seasoning and BBQ sauce.  Of course, I don't have BBQ sauce, so Dolly suggested mixing ketchup and mustard.  I do have that.

That solved my dilemma of whether to run around in the Jeep or stay home and watch football.  Last regular season games and they are all so important for the play-offs.

Not to miss the beautiful weather, I took the TV outside and watched it while cooking and getting a suntan.   First time using the oven this year and didn't dare leave and have the place burn down.
Oops!  A misfire.  Sorry Yuma.

Here is my TV setup. Chair for Yuma and chair for me.
Looking to the North across the lake toward the Imperial Dam area.

A few short walks with Yuma and both of us resting in our lounge chairs mainly just listening to the games, we had a wonderful and relaxing Sunday.  We did meet a Yuma pal on one of our walks.

It was 5 o'clock when I pulled one piece out of the oven and tasted it.  It was falling off the fork delicious.  Just the right mustard spicy taste.  I thought I would eat three and save the other three for tomorrow, but they had shrunk a little bit and tasted so wonderfully good, Yuma and I ate all of them with a pile of French Style beans.  

Thank you Dolly for being such a great long distance cook.  Tasted just like roast beef, which I guess it was.  I think George would be proud of me.  From TV dinners to a culinary expert.

One last Sunday night game to watch and then to bed.  Looks like clouds are coming in from the West.  May be a cloudy day tomorrow.


See you later.


18 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures of the sunset! Don't know if your cooking skills are up to Georges,but yours coming along. GO San Francisco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dolly. I was sure with the amount of cloud cover it would be bland, but I was wrong. Glad I looked. Not up to George but moving in the right direction. Go Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful day to kick back outside and catch the games. Ribs sound good. I too am rooting for the Seahawks, hmmm ....

    My Buckeyes lost yesterday - Go HAWKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful day for being outside. Some of my teams and some didn't. Sounds like you are a transplant from Iowa.

      Delete
  4. The ribs sound delicious. And Miss Dolly is my new best friend. Go 9ers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Elva, you and Dolly pulled it off with a foot to spare. Great game! I am full of good cooking tonight. :))

      Delete
  5. That was a great game. In fact, all three I watched were terrific. Seems they are all trying harder since it's the end of the season. Your ribs sound delicious! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. This season they are fighting harder to win even if there is nothing on the line for them. Whoever took Miami over NE at Vegas made a killing.

      Delete
  6. Love your and Yuma's set up for watching the games. Sounds like your dinner turned out wonderful, the nice end to a great day! Weather looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuma likes curling up in the lounger. I was always shooing him out of mine, so pulled one out for his own.

      Delete
  7. Your beef ribs sure sound delicious. So neat to be cooking out in the desert while working on your suntan. Cute that you & Yuma each have your own chair.😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did good with the beef. I think it was the first time I've felt full after a meal in quite awhile. Now that Yuma has own lounger, I don't have to keep shooing him out of mine.

      Delete
  8. Good job on the beef ribs, Doug! I love your set up of chairs for you and Yuma. It also gives the impression that you are not alone........alone, alone. You know what I mean. LOL
    Any improvement from tv dinners is wonderful! You'll be a chef when you return home to Dolly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. For some reason I never feel alone when I'm in the Southwest. I'm afraid Dolly will have me doing the cooking while she watches TV. Not good!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a perfect desert day you and Yuma enjoyed it is amazing the meals you can cook with a little bit of guidance Doug I am proud of you creating such a wonderful meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George. I'm so glad I've graduated from TV dinners every night as in years past. Dolly has been giving me more ideas, so I think I'm on my way to eating more healthy while traveling without Dolly.

      Delete
  10. I really like the new header! It's nice to know that you can cook and that you enjoy eating what you cook. Dolly has been teaching you well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for noticing the header. I love it. Dolly is a great cook. It's a wonder I'm not 200 pounds.:))

    ReplyDelete