Saturday, December 21, 2019

Desert run to Bates Well Ranch and beyond

This morning as I was eating breakfast at my normal 9 o'clock, I was deciding what to do today.  My back is finally on the mend so I thought I would venture further from home base.

I remembered seeing Bates Well Ranch on the Organ Pipe Cactus NM map, so I thought I would head the back way into the NM today by following Darby Well Road to Bates Well Road.


We were in the Jeep at noon heading west after I had texted Dolly telling her to call for help if I wasn't back in time for Gold Rush tonight.  I also sent her this map so she could tell my rescuers where I had gone.  You can click on to enlarge.

The road to the ranch was not too rough but boy was it dusty.  Soon I had the good old Arizona dust everywhere inside the Jeep.  Not far ahead is a Border Patrol truck that passed me by.  Only one I'll see till the end of the day.
It wasn't long before we were on Bates Well Road and at the entrance to the NM.  At this point there are some forms to fill out and either write down your Senior Pass number or make a payment and put it in a metal box.  The Bates Mountains are off in the distance as I begin my travels today through the Growler Valley.

I'm now at the You are here on the top of the map.  Click to enlarge.


Drove quite away and was beginning to think I had missed the ranch as I approached the Bates Mountains nearby, but then I saw a wind mill in the distance and soon the entrance to the ranch.

 Not much of a home.


We went inside and took a look around.  Not much left but a sink and stove and cabinets.  Two rooms. Click on any picture to enlarge.


There were a number of outbuildings and cattle corrals on the ranch.  Also, there were three windmills so there must be water here.












This windmill was missing the top and

I found it laying below on the ground.



As I was finishing up my walkabout (Oh no, I'm beginning to speak Canadian like George.) Yuma started barking and we met this character.  His name was Phillip and he was also staying in a trailer near my place.  And boy, was he a yarn spinner.
 

He was from Boston and had the accent to prove it.  We stood in the parking area for over an hour talking.  Finally, Yuma started barking telling me it was time to move on.  (I taught him to do that to get out of situations like this.:))  

Phillip did tell me that if I continued on the Bates Well Road west it would eventually lead to Yuma.  Or I could make a left at the one intersection and head south toward the Mexico border.  This would eventually lead me through Pozo Nuevo and to highway 85.  Then I could head back home on a blacktop.  It was 3 o'clock now so I had best get going.  Do not want to be out here after dark.
This post has gone on long enough.  I will save the remaining pictures for the rest of the journey through the desert till tomorrow.

See you later.


12 comments:

  1. There were some tough people out there trying to make a living. I love the trails out there to follow. You have a well trained dog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Yuma is a life saver. That is tough country out in that valley. Still no cell phone even today it is so remote.

      Delete
  2. Sure glad you made it back home safely. Interesting back country with lots of old stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. It is definitely back country with no conveniences at all. Still no cell service today.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting story of Henry and the ranch. He must have been a tough old bird, to live on that land for so long. Good thing Yuma signaled you to leave or you'd still be talking to Phillip from Boston - one of my favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He must have been a rugged guy to outlive his whole family. Yuma was starting to bark wanting to leave. So funny!

      Delete
  4. lots of dusty road out there to follow. What year is your Jeep TJ?, we have a '97, don't see many TJs anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. It was dusty. Will be a long time before I get it all out. I have a 2006 65th Anniversary Jeep. Last year Jeep made them. Love it. Still only 31,000 miles on it. 20,000 by me on these Arizona roads.

      Delete
  5. That Yuma is a smart dog. Very interesting information. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very welcome Elva. I'm glad I've got Yuma as my sidekick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We never did get down through that area. Kelly was always a little leery about getting too far out in the boonies so close to the Mexican border. I understand your frustration in trying to get away from a 'yarn spinner'. I generally avoid people because I have run into way too many people like that over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a talker. I too am leery being out there. As many Americans out here, I do adhere to the second amendment.

      Delete