Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Mt Lemmon - Part 1

 Woke up with the sunrise this morning and out of bed at 7:30.  Early for us, but wanted to get on the road by 9:30.  Couple coffees and 13 crackers with cheese and it was time to go.  It's going to be sunny and warm today.  Should be a great day for pictures.

Last night I heard a Harley come in after dark and park nearby.  Later in the night, I heard coyotes in that same area howling up a storm.  Well, this morning I hear the Harley start up and come out of the bushes right across from the White Lion.

He saw me and stopped to introduce himself.  I believe he said his name was Glenn and he's living in a tent in the bushes back there.  56 years old and lost his job and a place to live because of the Covid 19 epidemic.  He was a talker.  Said he spent 17 years in prison and he's a changed man.  By the time he left, I knew quite a bit about him, but not why he was in prison.  He didn't say and I didn't ask!😇

Took us an hour to drive across Tucson to Mt Lemmon Hwy that goes to the top of Mt Lemmon.  This mountain is north of Tucson and is the highest point at 9157 feet in the Santa Catalina Mountains.  There is a ski resort at the top.

It is 27 miles to the top and it is asphalt the entire way.  Anyone can drive it as long as it is open.  We're on our way.  There were lots of bicyclists going up and down the mountain.   Don't think I'm ready for that.  Also, I could see some very expensive homes on the hillside overlooking Tucson.

Curving to the right just ahead to get onto the hwy.  No snow problems today, but they did have snow about a week ago.
Won't be long before we are too high for the Saguaro cactus.😞
As you can guess, the road is very windy all the way up.  A look back from where we came.


Wish I could show you what I see in pictures, but I just can't.😢







There are lots of hoodoos.  Tall thin spires of rock.
We're getting higher.  Guessing around 5000 feet here.
I don't want to overload you with pictures so I will leave you with the map of where I've been and where I'm heading.  Continue with tomorrow's post.
Thanks for stopping by.

17 comments:

  1. What amazing views of your trip up Mt. Lemmon. Words can't describe the scenery, I'm sure. Did it cool off as you went up? Sorry for Glenn losing his job and home. It's been a hard year for so many. Can't wait for tomorrow's pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. It was windy and very cool at the top. Probably low 50s. Felt good compared to high 80s down below. Now I know why they call the little town up there Summerhaven😄 I think Glenn has a had it hard his whole life.

      Delete
  2. We,Peanut also, have been to the top. And it was very coool to be that far up! We had a good time. Glad you went up. Take care, Doug & Yuma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rawn. The camera just doesn't do it justice. Much better to see in person.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's quite a hall up the mountain. Great pictures but I'm sure nothing like the experience of being there! I guess you never know who you have living in the bushes out in the middle of nowhere😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. It was a surprise to find a guy staying in the bushes within 40 feet from me. Nice guy I guess. But a little strange.

      Delete
  4. You never know who you will meet in the desert. Nice bike!!
    I knew you would love Mount Lemmon. The views are spectacular. Weird to see pine trees and snow so close to the desert. You are right, pictures don't do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Biker and coyotes in the bushes 😁 Great drive. Lots of pullouts which was great.

      Delete
  5. Sad that Glenn has to live in the bushes, hopefully he's getting unemployment. Mt Lemmon is incredible! Beautiful views! Great pictures but Ken and I say that all the time, that they just don't do it justice no matter how good your camera is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems to be happy. Anything is better than prison 😊 He was self employed so I'm sure he has no income. Had a great day with the beautiful views. Wish the pictures showed how the views really looked.

      Delete
  6. incredible views from along the way up Mt Lemmon. From the map it looks to have a lot of view points, campgrounds and trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Jeff. This road leads to a wonderful getaway for the Tucson summers. Lots of trails and people taking advantage of them.

      Delete
  7. What I've seen so far is quite impressive.
    Years ago I would have cycled that road to the top.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet you would have. That was a very popular run for the cyclists. Go up as far as they care and coast home.

      Delete
  8. If I didn't know you were driving up Mount Lemon I would have thought you were on the Yarnell Hill climbing into the Weaver Mountains between Congress Arizona and Yarnell. I love winding mountain roads like that with their scenic pull-outs to stop at and view the landscape. Kind of like the Montezuma Grade in Borrego Springs too. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete