Monday, March 6, 2017

Other side of Saddle Mountain

Monday, March 6, 2017

My location:  Saddle Mountain BLM near Tonopah, Arizona

Woke up to bright blue skies and very little breeze this morning.  Took my time this morning waiting for it to warm up so we could go on a Jeep ride to the other side of Saddle Mountain.

Yuma was raring to go this morning.

1-IMG_5024 

Yuma wanted to drive the MH this morning, but I told him he was too young to drive.

1-IMG_5028

I even shook out the rugs and swept the floor of the MH this morning.  So after all my morning duties, we jumped in the Jeep around 11:30 and quickly made our way around to the other side of the mountains.

Here’s what it looks like from the North side where we are parked.

1-IMG_5086

There is only one Jeep road going into the backside of the mountains.  We followed it till it got so bad we dared drive no further.  We parked the Jeep and walked into the canyon.  From what I can gather, there is no exit to this canyon.  We walked about a half mile further and the road came to a dead end.

1-IMG_5033

1-IMG_50361-IMG_50371-IMG_50401-IMG_5041

1-IMG_5044

Lots of eyes watching us.  Reminded me of Ole Evil Eyes back on Plomosa Road.

1-IMG_5043

1-IMG_50461-IMG_5047

1-IMG_50481-IMG_50511-IMG_5052

I am now out of road and I’m looking toward the end of the canyon.

1-IMG_5067

1-IMG_5058

This is a zoom shot of the end of the canyon as far as I can tell.  I would love to walk up there and look over the edge of the green area and see what those rock formations look like close up.  Maybe another day.

1-IMG_5059

These are photos on our way back to the Jeep.

1-IMG_50681-IMG_50711-IMG_5073

1-IMG_50761-IMG_50781-IMG_50821-IMG_5083

Yuma is ready to head home.

1-IMG_5079

Happy birthday, Sarah!

See you later.

16 comments:

  1. Super photos of the mountains! So many flowers! Yuma seemed to love them all. The Saguaros are so beautiful. The hills definitely have eyes. You must have really enjoyed this ride and hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dolly. It was a beautiful day for a Jeep ride.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great ride and a great day for it. Yuma is so full of energy. The lush green and yellow looks so welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy. Looks like you had an exciting hike yesterday too. Sure is green here.

      Delete
  3. Now you have got me looking for "eyes". The eyes of the mountains are on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be everywhere. Hope they are protecting me from danger.

      Delete
  4. Another nice adventure and all the desert flowers and greenery is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a blog mention! :) I'm so excited! Thank you Doug! I love, love, LOVED the picture of Yuma in the drivers seat! Dogs trying to drive are one of my favorite things in the world! Maybe when he's old enough he can get his drivers liscense. ;) Those mountains are so beautiful! Sounds like you had a wonderful hike, the day looked perfect! We missed you last night at Red Lobster. We'll go again sometime when you can join us! Thank you again for the birthday wish! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a great birthday and sorry I missed it. Yuma is becoming a big boy, just like Keats. Keats looked so grown up in the picture sent to me yesterday. Growing like a desert wildflower.

      Delete
  6. Doug, I know miss Dolly and your family & of course would have liked being at Sarah's birthday party - but seems like no one remembers EVER seeing the desert in this kind of green splendor . This may truly be a once in a lifetime experience ! So glad you got out of those badlands - THIS is the place to be. Your photos are improving every day with interesting camera angles and subjects. The whimsical ones and the wildflowers and that mountain - SWEET ! 🐕🐢🌵🌞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Moonfly. Glad you enjoy them. I work hard to improve and make the photos look like what I see. The beautiful colors this year sure do help the photographer.

      Delete
  7. Your pictures are incredible! I can't believe how green the desert is this year! The wildflowers are beautiful.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was reading your blog and saw you went through Tonopah. At first I thought you were near by, but couldn't find hwy 6. Looked it up and there is a Tonopah in Nevada exactly 500 miles from here. What a coincidence

      Delete
  8. Beautiful pictures today. You are certainly doing a great job of capturing the colors we are seeing this year. Yuma looks like he had a fun day. Always like the pictures of him running.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are those poppies? When the desert comes into bloom it becomes a magical place, so calm serene and not threatening at all. Nice job with the photo selections.

    ReplyDelete