Monday, February 1, 2021

Checking out the area

 This morning I woke up a 8 o'clock to cloudy skies but warm temperatures.  3% chance of rain so no worries, but did decide to stay around home today and explore.  Had a relaxing full three course breakfast with bacon and eggs for a change.

It was 12:30 by the time Yuma and I jumped in the Jeep to find out where all those ATVs and bikes were going all weekend. 


It wasn't long before I discovered there are deep ravines all around this area.  It looks flat on the surface but these ravines are deep.





Deb and Riley showed me this arch last year when we visited this area.  I had walked to the top of the ravine to get my bearings  when I heard what sounded like a jet engine reverberating through the canyon below and up pop two people in a big Polaris. 

They stopped and introduced themselves as Suzanne and Patrick.  Turns out they just retired and starting their RV life styles.  They are camped down the road from me and are the last of the ATV campers.  They didn't have to go to work like the rest of them.  They are from Riverside, California not far from here.  We talked for about half an hour and they were on there way again.


Yuma and I headed on deeper into the ravines following the tracks.






This is the end of the line.  These ravines go on forever into the mountains.   Decided to get out and make sure I could figure out how to get back out of this maze.

Modern day hieroglyphics 😂

After looking it over, I figured if I followed my tracks out I should be fine and it not, just keep heading east towards the Salton Sea and I should be fine.

Made it home at 2:30 and called it a day.  As I sat outside resting I felt a little sprinkle.  We are getting our 3% worth of rain!

The sprinkles stopped and before I knew it the time is almost 7 o'clock and we've had dinner and I'm finishing my post now.  I love California time!  Going to watch a little TV before going to bed.

See you later.

12 comments:

  1. It looks so flat where you're camped. It's hard to believe all those interesting formations are so close by. It's amazing how you can meet people in the middle of a desert. Hope those rain drops didn't ruin your relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how the rain over the years has made all these ravines through this red dirt. ATVs love it.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing there are so many roads back in that area. All from the ATVs. It gets extremely crowded on the weekends, as you know!! Sure in pretty though ... the red clay dirt. They have a little State park on the sea, probably shut down now, with full hookups. Good place to stay! Be sure and check out slab city ... you're going to LOVE that place!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out the state park. I'm not sure when but I will visit Slab City before leaving.

      Delete
  3. Not much vegetation on around there, did you see any wildlife?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few creosote plants and that's it. Only crows for wildlife.

      Delete
  4. I am enjoying your last number of post ( I enjoy them all but these ones bring back some fantastic memories for me) a great deal. I was trying to figure out if you are parked in the same spot or not but no matter, the views are amazing. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you were reading these. I'm staying a few hundred yards short of where you were camped. I am enjoying my visit here. Thanks for showing this place to me. And yes the road in is still terrible 😀

      Delete
  5. Glad you figure out how to get home. Staying down in the Gullies would have been like a maze.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a maze. At least I know downhill leads to the sea.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful area. I thought that arch looked familiar. Thank you for sharing. You have friends in Yuma? Now I'm jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty driving through those ravines. Tom,Deb and I have been invited to Ogilby Road to watch the Super Bowl in Shane and Cathy's new tent.

      Delete