Sunday, March 3, 2024

First full day boondocking

 Slept fairly well last night.  Yuma woke me at 2:30 to go outside.  He went out and I stood at the door.  He looked out in the darkness and turned around and came back in.  Then at 4:30, he woke me again wanting to go out.  This time I grabbed a flashlight and went with him.  He stayed within the light and found a bush.  Soon, he headed back to bed.  I guess he was afraid the first time out.

Woke up around 8 o'clock to bright sunshine.  Calling for low 70's and wind today.  First thing I did was to have breakfast.  Last night, I was too tired to make anything except crackers with peanut butter topped off with a slice of cheese.

First thing I did was sit in a chair outside enjoying the beautiful morning looking at the mountains.  Nice and quiet with no one around.  Unfortunately, I needed to go through everything and do a better job of packing things I don't use but not ready to throw away yet.  Not near the space in this motorhome. 

Around 1 o'clock, I decided Yuma, and I would drive up towards the mountain and take some pictures.  Unfortunately, the roads are very rough, so Yuma was trying to sit in my lap most of the time.  He hates bumpy roads.









Looking across the valley.




Time for 4-wheel drive.



When we returned, I finished repacking and now I have a whole cabinet that is empty and ready for more junk.  I bought two large packs of dogfood cans yesterday, but had nowhere to put them, so left them in the Jeep.  Now, I have space for them.

For some reason, I cannot find my sugar, bread and matches.  I really need the matches tonight.  I tried the igniters on the stove, and they do not ignite.  No fire.  

I tried using a piece of rolled up paper and the MH cigarette lighter.  But the paper burned so fast I dropped it before it ignited.  Fell to the floor and I had to stomp out the flames.  Not smart.

Then I remembered there was a cigarette butt on the ground outside, so picked it up and it has just enough tobacco left for one ignition.  Do I use it tonight to make dinner or hold off till morning and have coffee.  Decisions, decisions!

My decision was I needed dinner, and the way to do it was to pull out the table and grill.  I wasn't going to do that till tomorrow.  Now I'll be cooking in the cool night air.

As I was preparing to cook the corn, I opened the drawer with the pots and lo and behold there was my utensil tray with the matches in it.😀

Now that I already have the grill out, I cooked a steak and a pot of corn on the inside burner.  Now, all is good with the world.  A great dinner tonight and coffee in the morning.😋

As I was writing my post for the night, the internet just went away.  Nothing, Nada.  Thought I was not going to post tonight, but it came back up about half hour later.  Back in business.

I always wondered if the mountain was called Saddleback Mountain or Saddle Mountain.  Looked it up on Google and it is Saddle Mountain.

Better get this rambling mess published before I lose it again.  Thanks for stopping by.

17 comments:

  1. Great to see you on the move again Doug. Hang in there and enjoy everything you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure looks green. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet it's nice to be out boondocking again. Might take a little to get settled into the MATII but sounds like a successful first day. You got to have dinner and coffee in the morning. 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had some rough spots yesterday, but all turned out okay. Hope you did well in Nashville.

      Delete
  4. Great photos of a familiar area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivan. Great place to get my feet wet, before moving on.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad everything went well the first day of boondocks. Hopefully, many nice days ahead. Poor Yuma. He'll get used to it soon enough. Enjoy your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the pictures and you willl find all your stuff. Enjoy this Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m thinking that must have been your new rig in the picture. It looks like you are the only one there. How are the flies?
    A long bbq lighter works well for starting the burners.
    Yuma will eventually settle in to boondocking again.
    Good luck. Love the pics.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. So far the flies are few. If the wind changes it may be a different story.

      Delete
  8. It is always a learning curve every time you change RVs. Take your time and things will fall in place.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find doing a little each day helps my sanity. I'm getting there.

      Delete
  9. Your scaring me, Doug! First, letting Yuma go out in the dark of leash, then doing the lit paper!!
    Please be careful. Nice pictures though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I should have Yuma on a leash. He could bolt if something scared him. I'll do that from now on.

      Delete