Monday, March 18, 2024

Glamis, California

This morning, Yuma and  slept in till 8 o'clock.  That's because Yuma has this 2 and 4 A.M. thing going.  I don't know why, but I think it's time I run things around here and not him.

The sun was already blazing and the temperature was 59 degrees.  Not going to be overly warm today, but the 80s are barreling down on us.  Yuma and I enjoyed the cool breeze and sunshine while I had my coffee.  I have nothing really planned today.  I just know standing and walking is not on my list.  My sciatica nerve is still causing me pain, so I'm taking it easy today to see if that helps.

After breakfast, Yuma couldn't stand taking it easy anymore, so we jumped in the Jeep a little after noon to travel the 35 miles up Ogilby Road to highway 78 west to Glamis, California to see what was happening.

Ogilby Road is not where they spend their California road repair money.  It is a terrible road.  The Jeep suspension system got a good workout going 65 mph.

We were to Glamis in no time.  Now Glamis in not a town.  It is a bunch of tents catering to tourists and the sand dune buggy crowd.  It is located right in the middle of the Imperial Sand Dunes.  All the other times visiting, it was a weekend and there was a lot going on.


Only one in the parking area.

All is closed

Great reception

On a Monday, not so much.  In fact the place was DEAD!  Everything was closed except for the gift shop catering to anyone that is traveling on highway 78.  It is actually a building and they also serve food. 

That's okay.  I really wanted to go to the top of the dunes a few miles further west.  There is a viewing area and rest area where you can see all around you.

There it is



As we drove up the hill, I could see there were several trailers there.  And, there was this cute dog running around that Yuma spotted quickly.

I stopped the Jeep and asked the owner if his dog was friendly.  He said she was, so off into the sand dunes the two lovebirds went.  Both enjoyed running and they did a lot of it, while I took pictures.

Lovebirds dancing in the dunes

I agree




Highway 78 winds through the sand dunes

Highway 78

We're staying near those mountains

Didn't have to worry about dune buggies running them over, because there were none.

We were home around 3 o'clock after one stop to take a peek.  You know me.  If I see a hole in the ground, I've got to check it out.


I have Yuma check for snakes, before I go in😁
 It has been a beautiful afternoon.  Warm with no wind.  I'll take days like these.  Time for a little steak cookout and TV before going to bed.  This desert life is rugged.

Thanks for stopping buy.

10 comments:

  1. No surprises in tonight's post. Beautiful pictures of the sand dunes. It was nice to be there while no dune buggies were racing around. Such a peaceful looking place. Of course, Yuma would find a friend! It looks like a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time there, Buggies and Rails everywhere. Glad you had a Safe visit.
    Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Guess Californians have to work for a living like the rest of the country.

      Delete
  3. What a fun day and Yuma found yet another girlfriend!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, these days I think Glamis is a weekend town.
    Looks like Yuma was enjoying the company.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding Yuma & his biological needs - He's possibly having issues with adapting to the Three Hour time zone difference ? - He's an older more mature dog so maybe hes not adapting as quickly as in the past...just speculating here.

    ReplyDelete