Sunday, March 10, 2024

Hike up Palm Canyon

Yuma went out twice last night, waking me from my dreams both times.  The first dream was not a good one, so I was glad he woke me up.  Then he was ready to get up with the sun, so we were wandering outside at 7:30, but I was ready to get up anyway.  It was a little cool, but sunny and I knew it wouldn't be long before I would be looking for shade.

We sat in the cool, sunny breeze as I went through two cups of coffee.  I had good intentions of making eggs and bacon, but the ease of eating cereal won out.

I was slow for a purpose this morning, because I didn't want to hike up Palm Canyon too early.   I figured between noon and one would be just right.  So, at about 12:30, Yuma and I jumped in the Jeep and headed the five miles to the entrance of the canyon.  

We followed a truck going 15 mph all five miles, so it took awhile to get to get to the canyon entrance.  It was okay, because I stopped for pictures along the way.


Winding road going slowly up.

Mouth of the canyon ahead.


When we got to the entrance, three old ladies were getting out of the truck.  (Not as old as me, but you know what I mean.)  One of them asked if I was their guide.  I said I could be.  As we talked, I discovered they were waiting for a guide to take them up the canyon.  I didn't even know the park service provided it.  They had come up from Yuma.  One of the ladies lived there and the other two were friends from Saskatchewan, Canada.

Soon, Yuma and I were on our way.  I took several pictures back out of the canyon as we hiked up.

We're camping down in the valley, just off the winding road.



 It's only about an eighth to a quarter of a mile to the Palms.  If you time it right, you will see Palm Trees growing out of a crevasse on the canyon wall above you, in bright sunlight.  You have to catch it just right, or they will be in the shadows of the wall.  We caught it just right.



Cactus grow along the walls of the canyon, also.




Yuma wants to go further up the canyon.

They put a sign up, because people were going right past the trees.  Further up is very rough.

There was no one there, so I took pictures and then I laid down on the ground and just enjoyed the beauty and the silence, while Yuma wandered all around sniffing things.  

After about 45 minutes, we started our trek back down, and not long after, here come the three women with a woman guide.


Yuma would come back to make sure the old man was still trudging down the canyon trail.

The Palm trees are behind Yuma in that crevasse.

  


Gives you an idea how rough the trail is

After we got back to came back to camp, Yuma went in and laid on the bed.  He was tuckered out.  He probably walked five times 
more than I did.  He just loves to walk and run the trails.  I have to admit, I was tired too, and laid down with him for awhile, but I had things to do.

Tonight, we're having hotdogs and then early to bed.  Tomorrow is another travel day.  The house batteries are fully charged now, so I expect no problems when leaving tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like a great day at Palm Canyon. You timed it perfectly getting the palms in full sun. I bet you and Yuma were tuckered out. Hope the move goes smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture titled "Yuma would come back to make sure the old man was still trudging down the canyon trail" is so good. He looks like he's having fun. With that rough terrain, how'd you find a spot to lay down? Sure sounds like something I'd like to do. Seen any snakes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s quite the climb that I remember . The views are amazing and the palms are of course there to tell us that even the desert has areas of mystery.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos of the palms, the canyon and the trail. It was a perfect day to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where's the picture of those "Old Ladies?"....Did they ask if you were single?
    Swell pictures, it's snowing and cold rain up here. I am envious, or jealous. I can never remember the difference.

    ReplyDelete