Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Move to Quartzsite, Arizona

 Slept in till 8:30 this morning.  When I stepped outside, I was greeted by overcast skies and a cool 53 degrees.  Had to put a jacket on to be comfortable.

For the first couple days, I was able to cope with the many flies in this area, but today, I'm officially fed up with them.  It wasn't always this way.

Back in late 2014, a large chicken farm was created near Tonopah and it quickly grew into 3 million chicken hens laying millions of eggs.  It's great if you buy the eggs in Phoenix, but here in Tonopah and the neighboring area, it can stink when the wind is right and they draw millions of flies to the area.

I decided, this morning, we would pick up stakes and move to Quartzsite, 75 miles west of here on I-10.

But first, I needed to run into Winterberg to buy some milk.  I need it for my coffee and cereal.  So, Yuma and I jumped into the Jeep and drove the 10 miles to the country store I stopped at yesterday, but didn't remember I needed milk.

As I left the store, I saw a Barber Shop.  I'm beginning to look a little shaggy, so I stepped into the the Barber and Tatoo shop.  No thank you on the tatoo.

Saw a few things interesting as I drove home on Salome Road.

Got a boat, but got no water!😞

Right next to the Barber shop, is the Tin Top.  It burned down last year.  Only bar in town😖





The two above pictures are of a row of houses.  All are empty and in very bad shape.  I wonder what happened to all the families that live there.

I only had a few things to pack because I knew I was only going to be here a few days.  I wanted to give the MATII a shakedown before getting too far from Apache Junction, just in case.

However, everything worked perfectly.  It pulls the Jeep with no problems at all.  The Fridge automatically switched to propane as it should, I had hot water when I flipped the Hot Water switch.  The stovetop heated my coffee just fine, so I'm a happy camper.

At around 1 o'clock we were done packing, hooked up the Jeep and we were on our way.

It was an easy drive on I-10 with only one incident.  We were going up an incline and the other side was coming down.  It must have just happened, as people were stopping and running to the aid of someone that left the highway.  I could only see the side of the vehicle and couldn't tell what it was.  Because, I knew I didn't have any skills to help, I kept going.  I hope everyone was all right.

We arrived in "Q" around 3 o'clock and the first thing I did was fill both the MH and the Jeep.  $95 later they were full and ready for more adventures.  I believe Regular was $3.59 a gallon.

I wanted to stay close to town so that I could get "Survivor" tonight.  We drove East on Dome Rock Road to where it turns North towards I-10.  There was some BLM land to the right, so we went in and found us a spot for at least tonight.

I'm not going to set up camp here tonight.  I just wanted to get my my local TV antenna out and get ready for my TV show.  Well, when I read on Google that CBS was available here, I didn't realize the stations were either in Phoenix or Yuma.  My little booster can't go anywhere near that far.

Luckily, I have DISH and my my wife ordered Paramount+ sometime in the past, so I will be able to watch it tomorrow, so not all is lost.

That was our day in a long nutshell.  I hope to visit friends while here and then move on down the road.

Thanks for stopping by.

14 comments:

  1. It's too bad the flies ran you off Saddle Mountain. You got to Quartzsite, but couldn't get Survivor. Bummer. Have a good stay in your new spor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. Glad I have a backup, thanks to you. I plan to stay here a few days.

      Delete
  2. Lookin spiffy... I, too, am in the area, in tonapah watching Survivor!!!
    I thought it sad that there were lot of derelict places. unpainted, falling down, just left... a result of the COVID shutdown, i wonder... just not enough about to support people...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have tried my antenna there, but was sure I would get it, so I moved. Are you an Rver?

      Delete
  3. Are you going to switch out the headlights on the RV?
    Your night time illumination would be a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to never drive at night, but I will check them. Thanks 😊

      Delete
  4. Too bad about the Tin Top. It was always a place wanted to drop into but never did. Yep, the flies are an issue. We miss the area but the flies make it miserable to go there.
    Enjoy Dome Rock.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is too bad. I finally Googled why the flies and got the scoop.

      Delete
  5. I watch CBS on Paramount plus so Survivor for me sometime today. Good to hear everything is working in the MH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elva. Me too. I'll be your way next week.

      Delete
  6. Definitely better without the flies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it was. Still trying to get them out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the MH is working well, and hope you get to visit with everyone.
    We've enjoyed the Dome Rock BLM a few times and you don't hear the Highway noise.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you left the flies behind. That's too bad they can be so annoying.
    Looking forward to seeing you here in the Q.

    ReplyDelete