Monday, March 11, 2024

Heading to Yuma, Arizona

I was up with the sun this morning.  I was hoping to get a great picture of the sunrise, but it didn't turn out like I had hoped.  Sun pictures just don't work for me.

Today is move day again.  Hopefully, we will stay longer in our next location.  We slowly loaded the few things we had out and hooked up the Jeep while having coffee.  We only have about 75 miles to our next location, so we're not in a big rush.

Decisions, decisions!

We were on highway 95, heading south to Yuma at about 11:30.  First stop was at the Stone Cabin about 10 miles into our trek.  I always stop at this now vacant and rundown cabin to remanence.

Stone Cabin

Always wondered why those flags are flying behind the Stone Cabin on a hilltop.
Dolly and I stopped here and had hamburgers and a coke many years ago, when a gentleman was trying to make a go of it as a hamburger joint.  He didn't last long.  I guess the folks zipping by on 95 are in too much of a rush to stop and eat.

Then 45 miles down the road I stopped at the turn-off to the Yuma Proving Grounds, a huge Army base.  Just have to get pictures of the big guns guarding the entrance.




Another 20 miles, got me into Yuma and we made a stop at the Walmart on S. Pacific Avenue.  For some reason, I didn't bring enough shorts with me, so I bought four pairs.  It is definitely shorts weather in Yuma.  When I left home, my size 34 pants were getting tight and I was soon going to move to a 36.  I bought size 32 and they are a comfortable fit.  I don't think it was the exercise, but the lack of Dolly's great cooking that caused my weight loss.  I'm not the best cook in the world and I've been known to skip a few meals for snacks.

Shopping done, we were on our way across the border into California.  I stopped at Sidewinder Road to a gas station and dumped tanks and took on fresh water.  With that taken care of, we headed to the next exit on I-8, Ogilby Road.  Been here lots of times, but always enjoy the solitude and beauty of the area.  Just desert and mountains, but that's what I like.


We turned into the BLM land about 5 miles down the road and headed towards the mountains.  Just before running out of desert, a 5th wheel and big white truck caught our eye.  Two ladies were standing outside, and Yuma knew who they were, because he got really excited and started jumping around and whining.  Before I could get the door fully open, Yuma was out and running to Deb and Riley, (On a long and lonesome highway....) at full speed.


It is good to see Deb and Riley again.  I wasn't sure I would be boondocking this spring, but here I am.  After our "hellos", we sat down for a bit and caught up on the events that occurred since we last met.  I needed to get settled in, so Deb showed me a great site just north of them.

Moved in and for the first time I am pulling out all my camping stuff, because I'm hoping to stick around for 10 days or so.  Got things to do here.

 For one, I need to run to Mexico to get new glasses.  My vision has worsened quite a bit since I bought the ones I have from Mexico.  Going back to the same optometrist.

Also, I need to get a new battery for my S22 Ultra cellphone.  I'm having to charge it several times a day.  For the first time, Samsung made a phone that has a replaceable battery.  I don't have to buy the S24 for around $1400.  

Had a pork chop and potato fries for dinner and when I finish this post, Yuma and I are going to bed.  Not sure what tomorrow brings, but we're ready for it.

Sunset on a beautiful day!

Thanks for stopping by.

9 comments:

  1. Glad you boys made it to Yuma. It must be warmer there. Yuma's back in his hometown. Enjoy the peace and quiet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tad warmer, but no 80s yet. Might have to check out the Humane Society for a friend.

      Delete
  2. What a cute pic of Deb and Riley! Nice that you are there to visit and get things done! I know Yuma is happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuma loves the freedom to wander around and I don't have to worry about neighbors with dogs. Looking forward to getting back to real boondocking.

      Delete
  3. Great to see everything is going well and you have met up with Deb and Riley. Enjoy your time there and with them sharing many stories back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. Slowly, getting back in the groove of boondocking.

      Delete
  4. When you passed the Dome Valley sign on 95 you were only 13 miles away from us! That's so cute that Yuma was so happy to see Deb and Riley. And like Dolly said...Yuma is home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are settled in, to relax for a while.
    If you leave Apps open on your phone, they drain your battery a lot faster. Our DIL said her battery needed recharging every Four Hours. We found 37 open Apps on her phone. Most she could not recall when she last used them. Once they were closed, it took Two Days before the phone needed a charge.
    Be Safe and Enjoy visiting with your neighbours.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete